StoneDine? And coconut oil?

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
Apparently, the North Pole.
To clarify, these aren't the same questions, lol.

I told my mother that I would buy her a new set of cookware because she has to get rid of her nonstick stuff because I'm getting my bird. Plus, once I move out (seems like it's taking forever), I also need a cookware set.

Does anyone have any experience with StoneDine? It's the thing you see on TV. It doesn't SOUND like there's any nasty teflon fumes, it says in the advertisement that there's no fumes to kill any pets.

StoneDine® with StoneCote | PFOA-Free Non-Stick Cookware

And second, does anyone give their birds coconut oil? It's high in fats and stuff, but it's a good fat. Simply wondering if anyone mixes it in with their veggies or fruits or whatever you feed.

Thanks guys, and sorry for all of these posts asking questions. :( I'd just rather get something more naturally nonstick than to hear my mother (although, I'd be guilty too) whining over the fact she can't get anything unstuck!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
For cookware I recommend a decent stainless steel for cooking and ceramic frying pans for eggs and such. There is a good thread with suggestions on brands too. I know i posted what we purchased. And have to admit I am a fan of s/s tho it was not a happy choice initially. Even made stir fry tonight in the s/s skillet. They clean up way better then I ever believed they would!!

Coconut oil is awesome for birds. Add a little to their chop or pasta mixes, throw in some dried red pepper flakes, sesame seeds or fresh ground cinnamon and the oil makes it stick to everything!

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
Hm. Okay, I'll look into stainless steel some more. We have one SS skillet, but it's like... so big it's a hassle, and it's only the one. We do have a couple cast iron things.

I figured coconut oil was okay. I can't find a reason why it wouldn't be! And I use it for everything, from cooking to cleaning to health stuff to skin stuff. It's also great on sunburns, for you super pale people out there like myself. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that giving it daily would be too much, so probably a couple times a week?

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
We usually use it couple times a week but more just changing things. Actually not sure about daily but I know who to ask and I will let ya know tomorrow!

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
Okay!

I'm trying to decide between Lafebers and Goldenfeast's Goldn'Obles. The latter has human grade ingredients... I think I'll go with the Goldn'Obles.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
I love Goldenfeast mixes, thought about trying the golden obles for Ivory, my pellet hater.

Goldenfeast is a great line of products and so many options that are all healthy and make for a nice variation of diet so your bird does not get tired of same thing everyday.

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
Yeah, they seem great. I'm going to order the 'Obles and the conure seed mix for my Meyer's just before I get him... Don't want to order it now and waste it! I am ordering some nutri-berries though, as the breeder gives them and although I'm not going to order the pellets the breeder gets (can only get them in bulk, as far as I can see, otherwise shipping would be worthless for a small amount), I will stick to fresh fruits and keep nutri-berries on hand.

Is carob safe for birds? I see that GoldenFeast has "carob drops" or summat, but I don't know if they're safe. I'm assuming so? I'm allergic to cacao (cocoa plant), sadly, so I use nothing but carob...

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Yep, parrots can have carob raisins or drops. Its not a main food source, but in a mix or as a treat. I get them from Wegmans and have to hide them from Victoria, she eats them before the birds can have one :)

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
I figured as a treat. I always have it on hand, and the last time I bought real chocolate chips was... well, about an hour ago, because we have new people moving in across the street and I figured they would prefer real chocolate and not some "fake chocolate" from the weirdo across the road.

I'm assuming that Victoria is your daughter or something?

Can birds have tomato slices? I personally don't use raw tomato at all (ew), but I'd be willing to buy it for my bird, lol. Well, grape tomatoes rather. Although, they might squirt everywhere if there's a sharp birdie beak involved.

And what about warm foods? I know there's all these cooked foods, but I read that warm foods can trigger regurgitation and sexual frustration?

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
I don't feed our parrots tomatoes as part of their diet, but Ivory has been known to fly into the kitchen and snatch a piece of tomato when I am making tacos :) Its really high in acid, so if you don't eat them, I would not bother getting them just for your bird.

Warm foods are fine except during hormone season.... We've never had warm foods and regurgitation, but when the days got longer as the seasons changed, Ivory definitely had a hormone moment :) We cut out warm foods when she started showing the response to breeding season, but otherwise they get warm foods. Ivory usually has a plate of food at the dinner table, so now that we are past the hormone crap, she is back to whatever is warm she eats that way :)

You do not need to worry about warm foods with a baby, its not til they hit puberty that you'll need to cut them out when hormones break out :)

Yes, Victoria is my daughter, she is on the forums too (Riddick07). If you've seen the Folger videos in the cockatoo section, that's her little nutjob of a recent shelter adoption. Folger has quite a fan following, but he is a little demon child... :) loves her, but would chew my arm off first chance he gets.

And I think making cookies for the new neighbors is very thoughtful, chocolate or carobs, still very thoughtful!

OP
Cambear

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
I won't bother then. I only use canned tomatoes, jarred salsas, spaghetti sauce, etc. Raw tomatoes make me cringe, the taste is too strong and the texture is just NO.

I kind of figured that warm foods would be okay for babies, and so I think I have at least a year, year and a half with a Meyer's (could be very, very wrong!) until he hits sexual maturity... In that case, I figure that I can just let it cool down before feeding.

I've seen you talk about her, and I'm pretty sure I've seen a few posts by her. I haven't really stalked the cockatoo forum since I thought I was getting a Galah. However, I am not getting a Galah, though I would absolutely kiiiiill to have a Galah or a Ducorps. Someday, man. Someday. And what cockatoo (or bird, rather ;) ) isn't a demon child in disguise?

I went over there, despite my anxiety! Went all by myself, too. The dad answered, he wasn't too sure at first, but the mother and the three little boys (especially the little guys) were ecstatic about the still warm cookies. The one little one is two, he has lovely hair and amazingly blue eyes. I don't think I've ever seen eyes that blue in person, other than my boyfriend's. He was a cutie.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Very awesome you went over on your own and introduced yourself and took cookies! Was worth the visit to see the little cutie with those eyes right!? :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts