Strange question please answer !

Kuwait

Nov 29, 2012
I have two pairs of parrots

(Yellow Naped)

(African Grey)

Each pair together in same cage

They looks Non-Courtship with each other

One day I saw the Female of African Grey kissing & Courtship with the Yellow naped Male...

My question is:

Can they mating & breeding if they in the same cage?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I only know of amazons hybridizing with conures, and has apparently happened twice, but I've only seen photos of one bird.

2012 | Papegaaien rijden scheve schaats

If amazons can hybridize with conures, there's a possibility they can hybridize with macaws as well - at least in theory. I have not heard of amazons hybridizing with any other species outside of their genera, nor have I heard of african greys hybridizing outside of their genera.

So I would say no, it's not possible for the two to hybridize, but stranger things have occurred.

OP
K

Kuwait

Nov 29, 2012

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
But what's the main reason why you want to know? Are you wanting to hybridize them?

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
I only know of amazons hybridizing with conures, and has apparently happened twice, but I've only seen photos of one bird.

2012 | Papegaaien rijden scheve schaats

If amazons can hybridize with conures, there's a possibility they can hybridize with macaws as well - at least in theory. I have not heard of amazons hybridizing with any other species outside of their genera, nor have I heard of african greys hybridizing outside of their genera.

So I would say no, it's not possible for the two to hybridize, but stranger things have occurred.

cuteness overload!

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
The best way to confirm would be to compare their genomes. If they possess the same number of chromosomes, and if the genes are mapped approximately the same and on the same chromosomes, they can most certainly mate successfully. I highly doubt this is true, but it is possible and a genome map is the only way to be certain. Sometimes if they are similar, they are successful after many many tries. This is why occasionally a horse and a donkey are able to produce a mule. They dont possess the same number of chromosomes, but sometimes it just works. Maybe you should consider splitting these birds up if you are worried about mating.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013

Those websites are essentially saying that it's impossible or highly unlikely for the two species you own to hybridize.

So I would say that until such a hybrid occurs, it's impossible.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
The best way to confirm would be to compare their genomes. If they possess the same number of chromosomes, and if the genes are mapped approximately the same and on the same chromosomes, they can most certainly mate successfully. I highly doubt this is true, but it is possible and a genome map is the only way to be certain. Sometimes if they are similar, they are successful after many many tries. This is why occasionally a horse and a donkey are able to produce a mule. They dont possess the same number of chromosomes, but sometimes it just works. Maybe you should consider splitting these birds up if you are worried about mating.

Where can I get a copy of this Genome map? Just kidding, lol. This is quite interesting. Would one have to be a Geneticist or an Ornithologist (or a student of these sciences) to be able to find this sort of particular species information? Especially when comparing areas of gene location on a particular chromosome. That sounds above and beyond any reliable scientific references/resources the average "Joe" would have access to, outside a university setting (I try to avoid Wiki :p). Yet, my interest is piqued. I love the biological sciences. Thank you for sharing.

Most Reactions