Sugar Snap Peas Storage?

Caitnah

Mar 24, 2018
Upstate New York
Parrots
GCC Pineapple
Hi to all. I have a question regarding sugar snap peas and how to store long term.
My Conure absolutely loves Sugar Snap and Snow Peas. It can get expensive when buying from the store so I will be growing them myself.
In the past, when I tried to freeze them, I might blanch them or just straightaway freeze them in freezer bags. They do go into the bags dry. However, when defrosting them for my Conure, they always turn into a wet mush from the defrosting.
Many YouTube videos freeze peas but put straight into cooking where the “mush” doesn’t matter. Nobody mentions the defrosting of the peas.
Is there a way to freeze peas and have them fresh and dry after being placed in the refrigerator?

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Hi to all. I have a question regarding sugar snap peas and how to store long term.
My Conure absolutely loves Sugar Snap and Snow Peas. It can get expensive when buying from the store so I will be growing them myself.
In the past, when I tried to freeze them, I might blanch them or just straightaway freeze them in freezer bags. They do go into the bags dry. However, when defrosting them for my Conure, they always turn into a wet mush from the defrosting.
Many YouTube videos freeze peas but put straight into cooking where the “mush” doesn’t matter. Nobody mentions the defrosting of the peas.
Is there a way to freeze peas and have them fresh and dry after being placed in the refrigerator?
I agree with your bird; sugar snap peas are delicious! I’ve grown them for years and they’re pretty easy though they germinate best in cooler weather and need plenty of water when it’s hot. As for storing, unfortunately in my experience there is simply no way to maintain that straight-from- the garden crispness when storing long term. The best I can suggest is to blanche them very briefly, like one minute, before freezing. Dry them thoroughly before putting them in the freezer and when you thaw them, add a couple paper towels to the bag/ container to help absorb excess moisture. You may also be able to grow a second crop of peas later in the year depending on where you live, so you have fresh peas for more of the year. Good luck!

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Vacuum sealed tubberware bowls! I store my chop and sprouts in them and they work wonders for me. I use the set by Zwilling. The glass containers are great because they don't "squish" like the ziplock version does.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I agree with your bird; sugar snap peas are delicious! I’ve grown them for years and they’re pretty easy though they germinate best in cooler weather and need plenty of water when it’s hot. As for storing, unfortunately in my experience there is simply no way to maintain that straight-from- the garden crispness when storing long term. The best I can suggest is to blanche them very briefly, like one minute, before freezing. Dry them thoroughly before putting them in the freezer and when you thaw them, add a couple paper towels to the bag/ container to help absorb excess moisture. You may also be able to grow a second crop of peas later in the year depending on where you live, so you have fresh peas for more of the year. Good luck!
I would buy or grow some and divide them up into small amounts (like a dozen each) and try different ways of freezing and thawing them to see which way gives the best result. They will never be as crispy as fresh but you should be able to get something that isn't horribly mushy. I've eaten frozen snap peas and snow peas and are aren't too bad. They are also pretty cold tolerant crops, especially some snow peas. That's why they call them snow peas, I read. They can actually grow at near freezing temperatures with snow falling.

Most Reactions

Latest posts