Suggestions please

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Central Oregon (Paradise!)
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
OK! So, score again with Keen. She readily hopped up on my shoulder again this morning. She mainly seemed to want to preen my hair and "nibble" on my face.
Then she started getting NIPPY. She was trying to bite the tiny mole on my neck and bite my earring and my earlobe. At first it wasn't in a rough way so I allowed it. Then it got painful. I've heard many people on here recommend putting the bird down when they do that, so I tried that, but she climbed down my back. I went with a stern "NO Biting" at that point because I couldn't get her off me to put her down.
Then she did it again, and again I tried to remove her from me. She got vocal, not loud, but not her "normal tone/sound" (Almost like back-talking) and tried to bite me when I tried to remove her from my shoulder.
I was also making attempts to get her to allow me to touch her. She seemed pretty fine with it at first and then got attitude - making that noise (as if she was back-talking) and tried to bite me.
She seemed to act as if she thought she could just do what she wants, etc. I know that (trying to be in charge and do what they want) is normal for a parrot in general, but I'm not sure what to do if I can't grab her to correct the behavior.
I ended up going over to her cage and trying to get her to hop in since I couldn't grab her, but she hopped on top of the cage and hung out a few minutes. She is now walking around the floor exploring.

SUGGESTIONS, FEEDBACK, ETC. PLEASE!! :)

nofearengineer

Sep 8, 2010
Parrots
Gandalf - CAG (1997-2010) R.I.P. my baby boy.
Bitty - CAG (2 yrs old? and working on spoiling her rotten)
Why is it, most times I hear of a parrot being bossy and cheeky, it usually turns out to be a GCC? ;)

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
This is one of the problems with letting your bird onto your shoulder. They are in control, and there is little you can do to get them off in time. And when you finally do manage to get them off (usually several minutes later), it is too late for them to be able to associate undesired behavior with the punishment.

OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
Keen: female, YSGCC & Opi: male, Pied Cockatiel & Milo: male, Timneh African Grey
They are in control, and there is little you can do to get them off in time. And when you finally do manage to get them off (usually several minutes later), it is too late for them to be able to associate undesired behavior with the punishment.

So true! I learned this the hard way! Shortly after the whole thing happened this morning she was wandering around my office on the floor and I got down on the floor to talk to her again. I got her to STEP UP for the first time! Then I was able to get her to do it about 4 more times. Then she was trying to get on my shoulder and I thought, "Ok. We'll try this again". Ummmm ... mistake!
All in all ... I would have to say today was even better than yesterday! Keen is really starting to respond to me! :greenyellow:

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
The words punishment and parrots do not belong together. Birds do not or never will understand the idea of punishment. Rewards are in their realm of understand. Positive reinforcement is the key to any bird training.

https://companionparrotonline.com/punish.html

That article is in reference to aggressive punishment (or positive punishment). I was referring to negative punishment - which is actually quite different from positive punishment.

I will do more research on the matter of punishment and parrots. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
Mamanda

Mamanda

Oct 17, 2011
Media
Parrots
This is one of the problems with letting your bird onto your shoulder. They are in control, and there is little you can do to get them off in time. And when you finally do manage to get them off (usually several minutes later), it is too late for them to be able to associate undesired behavior with the punishment.

Lexx510 - I'm sure you didn't mean punishment, like yelling, etc. I understood that you meant just removing the bird from doing what she was doing (ie: being on my shoulder and biting my ear) and placing her away from me as a, "Ok, let's try this again". Thank you for your feedback!

lexx510

Mar 13, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Parrots
They are in control, and there is little you can do to get them off in time. And when you finally do manage to get them off (usually several minutes later), it is too late for them to be able to associate undesired behavior with the punishment.

So true! I learned this the hard way! Shortly after the whole thing happened this morning she was wandering around my office on the floor and I got down on the floor to talk to her again. I got her to STEP UP for the first time! Then I was able to get her to do it about 4 more times. Then she was trying to get on my shoulder and I thought, "Ok. We'll try this again". Ummmm ... mistake!
All in all ... I would have to say today was even better than yesterday! Keen is really starting to respond to me! :greenyellow:

Yay! Congrats! That is a huge accomplishment = )

Most Reactions