Suggestions to help start chewing

BIKO

Oct 21, 2015
Recently, i acquired a 20 yr old parrot from a friend.

My addition of chewing toys inside his cage have been ignored.

Suggestions are appreciated.

ThankYouAll

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Put a towel down on your lap. Play with the toy and the bird on your lap. See if you can coax him into biting it... once he puts his beak on it outside the cage, hang it back up, and put him back in his cage... see if he goes for it.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
And try as many different textures as you can; hard wood, soft wood, paper, mineral block, straw... Anything parrot safe that can be destroyed. He ma not like the toys you have chosen :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Try drilling some holes into the wooden toys, then stuffing them with nuts, dried fruits, Nutriberries or other goodies.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Most zons can't resist a phone book.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
And whatever you do, don't give up. I have had birds resist for over a year before finally starting to chew on things.

OP
B

BIKO

Oct 21, 2015
Thank you all for great replies.
More welcome please.
I am sure i will need to try them all, and with persistence.

Most Reactions

Latest posts