summer is ending

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Charlie the birdie, yellow naped amazon and little bird, a monk parrot , and Polly -yellow crowned amazon
Well summer is drawing to an end and I will have to start training sessions this week and next. Then it is back to my very long days at school. I like my job and God knows I need the money but it is so hard to leave my birds all day. :(:17: No more sleeping past sun-up and having a leisurely cup of coffee while Charlie and I read the news and preen each other. No more preparing lunch while Charlie flirts with the toaster. No long naps on the couch with Paulie on my hip. No watching Charlie play with the hangers on the bed as I am folding all the laundry. No middle of the day Iced tea runs so the birds can ride in the car. Saturday field trips and Friday night football games are wonderful but I miss my birdies so much once our school year gets into full swing. Most evenings I am home by five (driving a bus route takes a while in rural Tx) so I only get four hours of birdie love before bedtime. I hope that is enough for my birds and I worry every year that they don't get enough time with me (And I know that I don't get enough time with them) It is just hard to go from all day, every day with them to just a few hours a day! do I sound pitiful? Unfortunately no one will pay me to stay home and love my birds all day;):rolleyes: I really wish the school would let me have a goofball bird as a classroom pet but they won't for some reason! I guess they can't see all the wonder that is the Amazon Parrot like I do! Goodbye sweet summer, hello classroom :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No, No, No, - its just not true - its still only the first of August and Summer is still here! The Days are not getting shorter - at least not too quickly, and well for sure its not getting any cooler in the Great White North, Yet!

Soak every moment of every hour and never give in - Summer than lasts forever! Well, at least for a couple more weeks, kind of, sort of.

Hey, regarding taking an Amazon with you! Visit you Doctor and get a script for a 'mental health support pet' i.e. An Amazon! The Schools are dealing with enough governmental stuff that it is highly likely this will just slide right past them. :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, it must be so hard when this time of year rolls around...when do you go back to school where you are? I remember when I was a kid it was always after Labour day, and now it seems to get earlier and earlier:(

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
No, No, No, - its just not true - its still only the first of August and Summer is still here! The Days are not getting shorter - at least not too quickly, and well for sure its not getting any cooler in the Great White North, Yet!

Soak every moment of every hour and never give in - Summer than lasts forever! Well, at least for a couple more weeks, kind of, sort of.

Hey, regarding taking an Amazon with you! Visit you Doctor and get a script for a 'mental health support pet' i.e. An Amazon! The Schools are dealing with enough governmental stuff that it is highly likely this will just slide right past them. :D

Don't let Amy hear you say that summer is over! She'll take a chomp out of you!:green: :eek: ;)

Jim

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
I don't even want to think of summer ending yet! Especially living in the North East. Lol!!

Enjoy what time you have left all the more. ;)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
msdeb

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Charlie the birdie, yellow naped amazon and little bird, a monk parrot , and Polly -yellow crowned amazon
Awww, it must be so hard when this time of year rolls around...when do you go back to school where you are? I remember when I was a kid it was always after Labour day, and now it seems to get earlier and earlier:(

I Started back yesterday to do some additional training and re-certifications but the kids will start on the 22nd of August.

OP
msdeb

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots

I wish that I could but I work with Special needs kids and some are fragile, some are downright mean and I can't trust them with my birdie babies. Most of the kids would enjoy being around Charlie but Junior high kids would take immense delight in teaching him to say or sing naughty things!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I lived your sadness for a long time. I got the Rickeybird when I was in college... now that I'm retired, we're back together most of the day.

But...

There were decades when I was so very very VERY busy that he suffered a lot. I kept him (and myself) whole by ensuring that every day, for at least 15 minutes at dawn, and 15 at dusk, we were together, alone, just us. And somehow... we endured and lived to be so very happy. 32 years. Counting.

Please check my links below if you want to see more... or.. see his scrapbook.
http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/62811-rickeybird-scrapbo

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
msdeb

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
I lived your sadness for a long time. I got the Rickeybird when I was in college... now that I'm retired, we're back together most of the day.

But...

There were decades when I was so very very VERY busy that he suffered a lot. I kept him (and myself) whole by ensuring that every day, for at least 15 minutes at dawn, and 15 at dusk, we were together, alone, just us. And somehow... we endured and lived to be so very happy. 32 years. Counting.

Please check my links below if you want to see more... or.. see his scrapbook.
http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/62811-rickeybird-scrapbo

You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what I am waiting for ....retirement!! Meanwhile I come home and spend at least half and hour or more in beside the cages holding and scritching, petting and talking, playing and loving my birds. A lot of the time the birds go room to room with me doing chores in the evenings. I know that the birds and I both look forward to summer and our regular school vacation days like thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, etc. But being with them all day would be ideal! I feel quite ridiculous being this in love with my sweet birds but I can't help it ! I am completely besotted by them!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Deb, there's nobody, no animal, no nuthin' that comes close to filling the niche that the Rickeybird fills. And anybody who knows me even casually will probably know about the bird. He was my screensaver at the office; same at home; I have several Patagonian Conure t-shirts; my email address references him; anybody who calls me at home will hear him yelling. If he's on my shoulder, I have to answer the phone holding it wayyyy out from my body and telling the caller I have to put the bird up. He hates the phone and will not tolerate it. Then 5-10 minutes later, I call them back, breathless from the struggle to get him back in the cage. The only way he goes in cooperatively is when I toss a pepper in there, but sometimes I've already used the pepper trick too often and have to do it the hard way. Yes, everybody knows about the bird, bird, bird, bird is the word...

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
Oh my gosh...do I ever...feel your pain!

I too...work for our school district as a school bus driver/supervisor...well actually they can't officially call me a supervisor because apparently that is a conflict of interest...so I am titled "lead driver" who does supervisor duties...hahaha...none the less...I LOVE my job, I LOVE my route, but I LOVE HOME most of all!

I tell myself...every single summer...don't fall into the "luxury" trap...keep the schedule...don't spend TOO much time with your "babies" it only makes it harder when the "schedule" is back in full force....but really? I can't help myself!

My current schedule is quite nice, however...I do leave very early in the morning...but I am usually off work by 1 in the afternoon...sooo...pending no emergencies and meltdowns at work...I still get my afternoons and weekends.

But still....whhaaaaaah! And top it off...we usually start school after labor day...but for some reason NOT this year...our first day back to school is September 1st! Us staff members start back on the 28th of August.... Talk about a major upset...only 19 days left.

I've been trying to convince my boss to let DeRita ride in the bus with me..I know the students and my parrot would LOVE it and because DeRita used to be owned by a truck driver who took her EVERYWHERE with him in his truck before he passed...I am convinced that bus rides everyday for DeRita would cure her of her emotional plucking....but so far...my boss hasn't been sold on the idea. ;-)

I am soo looking forward to retirement...however...in the mean time..I will stick to my "gravy" job. Not much beats working with the school district...seeing as I have to work, this is the best job for me.

Even still...it's a tough few days getting back into the groove after summer break!

Toni

OP
msdeb

msdeb

Dec 22, 2013
texas
Parrots
Oh my gosh...do I ever...feel your pain!

I too...work for our school district as a school bus driver/supervisor...well actually they can't officially call me a supervisor because apparently that is a conflict of interest...so I am titled "lead driver" who does supervisor duties...hahaha...none the less...I LOVE my job, I LOVE my route, but I LOVE HOME most of all!

I tell myself...every single summer...don't fall into the "luxury" trap...keep the schedule...don't spend TOO much time with your "babies" it only makes it harder when the "schedule" is back in full force....but really? I can't help myself!

My current schedule is quite nice, however...I do leave very early in the morning...but I am usually off work by 1 in the afternoon...sooo...pending no emergencies and meltdowns at work...I still get my afternoons and weekends.

But still....whhaaaaaah! And top it off...we usually start school after labor day...but for some reason NOT this year...our first day back to school is September 1st! Us staff members start back on the 28th of August.... Talk about a major upset...only 19 days left.

I've been trying to convince my boss to let DeRita ride in the bus with me..I know the students and my parrot would LOVE it and because DeRita used to be owned by a truck driver who took her EVERYWHERE with him in his truck before he passed...I am convinced that bus rides everyday for DeRita would cure her of her emotional plucking....but so far...my boss hasn't been sold on the idea. ;-)

I am soo looking forward to retirement...however...in the mean time..I will stick to my "gravy" job. Not much beats working with the school district...seeing as I have to work, this is the best job for me.

Even still...it's a tough few days getting back into the groove after summer break!

Toni

I would love to go back to only driving a bus!! I am sooo envious!! It is what I used to do when I first worked at the district. I had the whole middle of my day free (except for field trips, which are super fun!) Unfortunately I can't pay all my bills with just my driver pay, so teacher's aide is how I spend my days. I have taken Charlie on the bus once or twice and my kiddos loved seeing him but Charlie wasn't too impressed.

Nakiska

May 30, 2011
Washington
Parrots
4 Cockatiels 2 males Chicken Little & Charlie, 2 Females Chiquita and Sweet pea. Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Franklin and our now tame, rescued feral Pigeon - Belle.
[/quote]

I would love to go back to only driving a bus!! I am sooo envious!! It is what I used to do when I first worked at the district. I had the whole middle of my day free (except for field trips, which are super fun!) Unfortunately I can't pay all my bills with just my driver pay, so teacher's aide is how I spend my days. I have taken Charlie on the bus once or twice and my kiddos loved seeing him but Charlie wasn't too impressed.[/QUOTE]

Awww...yes...I USED to drive an am/pm route only with my days free...but I work in a very very small school district I am the senior driver and so now I have a longer route taking highschool students to the skill center every day. I leave at 6 a.m. get back at 11:30 and then I have 2 hours (give or take) at the office each day and then my day is supposed to be free...however, being short handed often, I end up substituting pm routes for drivers who are gone on sporting or field trips, sometimes scheduling and scheduling changes creates more office time than the 2 hours...so it's all variable....however...I work a few days here and there in the summer, but for the most part, no school..no work.

If it wasn't for my current route, I too...would have to get an all day job to sustain the lifestyle we have built.

I often go home and bring DeRita back to the office with me in the afternoons when I know I'm just going to be hanging there. She LOVES hanging at the office and socializing with the other drivers. And they love her! So...even though I groan about going back to work, it's not all bad. hahahha...The struggle is that I'd rather be with my pets and out in the barn...sooooo my yard suffers, my house chores suffer, the laundry and dishes pile up, the beds aren't made the car is filthy...:p

Most Reactions

Latest posts