Sun conure hurt foot need advice!

kentstar

Sep 20, 2011
Ravenna, Ohio
Parrots
A sun conure, budgie. Miss my cockatiel Sam. See you someday I hope Sam! And my little girl Sky a budgie that passed away in 2007 Thunder my budgie passed away too last September. Miss you little budd
:11:I brought him to the vet this morning. He had hurt his foot and it was bleeding. Don't know how.
Anyways, she did xrays and said nothing is broken thankgoodness! But she put him in a collar and put a bandage on his leg.

She also gave him antibiotics too

My question is... He is having a hard time with trying to eat and drink with a collar on. Any suggestions? He is so hungry poor guy!

His name is Sunny and he is 7 years old.

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
You could ask the vet if they possibly have a different type of collar that would allow him to eat easier. In the meantime, you can offer him food by hand.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I know they make soft collars now that sort of look like a turtleneck. Don't want your poor bird to be hungry. Can you spoon feed?

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I would phone the Vet & ask if it is absolutely necessary that the bird needs to wear it. If the injury isn't that bad & there is no stitches I would think it ok to take it off.

If the Vet sends my bird home with a collar i usually ask if it's alright to take it off if it causes stress. Usually it's fine unless of course there is stitches as they can easly pull them out.

One of my suns lost the tip of her toe a few weeks back, all i did was clean her up & gave her probiotics & she healed up fine.

OP
kentstar

kentstar

Sep 20, 2011
Ravenna, Ohio
Parrots
A sun conure, budgie. Miss my cockatiel Sam. See you someday I hope Sam! And my little girl Sky a budgie that passed away in 2007 Thunder my budgie passed away too last September. Miss you little budd
Well, he has a soft cast on his foot and if we take off the collar, he WILL pick it off! He is definitely a picker lol.

If he picks off his "bandage" then he would pick at his wound and start bleeding again. So, it has to be this way.

I feel helpless though, poor guy. We just keep watching to make sure he eats and drinks some, but he will probably lose some weight this week for sure.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Well, he has a soft cast on his foot and if we take off the collar, he WILL pick it off! He is definitely a picker lol.

If he picks off his "bandage" then he would pick at his wound and start bleeding again. So, it has to be this way.

I feel helpless though, poor guy. We just keep watching to make sure he eats and drinks some, but he will probably lose some weight this week for sure.

Handfeeding is probably your best bet, on put food on a spoon. Poor guy!

OP
kentstar

kentstar

Sep 20, 2011
Ravenna, Ohio
Parrots
He seems to be finding a way now. I have his bowls on the floor of the cage where he is for now and he manages to get the collar out of the way (or tries) and eats out of the bowl. He has been drinking some water too so I am really relieved about that!

I feel so bad for him though. I must be a nuisance having that collar on but it's for his own good!

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
He seems to be finding a way now. I have his bowls on the floor of the cage where he is for now and he manages to get the collar out of the way (or tries) and eats out of the bowl. He has been drinking some water too so I am really relieved about that!

I feel so bad for him though. I must be a nuisance having that collar on but it's for his own good!

That's great he's finding a way to eat around the collar! Poor little buddy, I can't imagine it's much fun. Give him a treat and some extra lovin for me!

OP
kentstar

kentstar

Sep 20, 2011
Ravenna, Ohio
Parrots
I am making some birdie bread for him today complete with cornmeal, whole wheat flour, and some corn in it. Yum for him! I also have been giving him very small pieces of banana which he absolutely loves! I don't give him a whole lot because of the natural sugars in them but just a tiny piece or two.

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
aww, poor lil thing! I know this is totally horrible, but please snap a couple pictures, Im sure a teeny tiny lil birdy cast and collar are just the cutest to see! (Just dont tell him that you will be posting it on here for all of us to see!) That being said, I wish the best for him and a speedy recovery, sounds like he is being very well taken care of in his time of need! Your a good parront!

OP
kentstar

kentstar

Sep 20, 2011
Ravenna, Ohio
Parrots
Had to take him back to the vet yesterday. The little houdini found a way to bite off the outer ring of his collar! He could then start reaching for his bandage! Luckily mom was watching over him and wouldn't let him chew on his bandage :)
The vet put another collar on him, a little different one, that he is now working on too lol!

Most Reactions

Latest posts