Sun Conure Seizure Problem

Iridal

Apr 28, 2018
Parrots
Sun Conure - Mango (hatched May 2017)
Wow I just wanted to hop in here and say.... 31 year old sun conure, WOW! :) That's pretty awesome on its own, way to go!

OP
Conure10

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
Elvis the Sun Conure, born 1987, member of family 1988-2021
Update on Elvis. Our new vet called today, Saturday, to give us the results of his blood test. They were generally very good, with some elevated white blood cells (may due to being dehydrated) and elevated uric acid. Neither really high. Liver function indicators were good, so likely no liver problem. Generally very good results for a bird his age, she said. Most likely candidate for his leg fits remains a restricted blood supply to the legs, so we will be continuing the isoxsuprine medicine for that and start doing meloxicam every other day. She also suggested more moist food to increase hydration.

Will be taking him back in, baring an unforeseen major event, in two months for another blood test. We concurred that doing an x-ray carried a risk, and better to just continue on the current plan.

We are improving his diet, and she expressed surprise in his good condition after all the years on a seed diet (along with diet coke sips, pizza crust, french fries, etc. etc. human food).

Happy new year to all, thanks for all the advice and good wishes, and here's hoping Elvis sees many more new years and sets a record! And what a great vet we have found!

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Glad his results so far are good, and that you’ve found a great vet! Looking forward to hearing more about Elvis :)

Aratingettar

May 29, 2018
Poland
Parrots
Sun t̶e̶r̶r̶o̶r̶i̶s̶t̶ C̶o̶n̶u̶r̶e̶ terrorist Cytrynka (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fiona (F),
Peach faced lovebird Fionek (M)
Good news, and it's never too late for a quality diet. Indeed Elvis' age brings loads of hope for me :)

OP
Conure10

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
I don't know what happened to my update on Elvis, or the reply by member BoomBoom, that I thought I posted three days ago, so I'll try again with a brief one. Took him to the vet for a second blood test after two months. Uric acid now at mid-range and calcium normal. Will continue the daily isoxsuprine medicine forever, but have stopped the pain med.meloxicam. He had three events in January but none in February. So maybe the med is working and those seizures are behind him.

Last edited:

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
When I first got Skittles in April of 2011, he was exactly 1y-2wks old. He had these "wing spasms" that my avian vet was concerned about. I had not had him very long and that no doubt played a part in her concern. So when I brought him in for his first exam, the vet did a complete blood panel. It was a rather pricey test (almost $200 for that test alone), but she said it could rule out a number of genetic conditions so we did it. She worried the wing spasms could be "mini-seizures" so she wanted to rule out epilepsy. But everything came back normal.

After that, I contacted his breeder to get her thoughts on the matter and she told me the 'spasms' were actually expressions of "contentment". It made sense because he never did them when he was out and about. ONLY when he was calm and resting.

So, 31, congratulations! I'm hoping to get Skittles to 40yrs because I'll be 75y/o at that age and ready to go with him. BUT, that means I have to deal with the little stinker for 31 more years. YIKES! LOL.

I do have to say that I am surprised Elvis has made it to 31 given his diet and lack of flight. That's by no means a criticism. Merely an observation. Some people have birds and do EVERYTHING right and still lose a bird prematurely. It just goes to show how much genetics also plays in the longevity of their lifespan. Its not just diet and exercise. But genetics as well. I also happen to believe that "happiness" also plays a major role in how long they live. Perhaps just as much as the other factors.

OP
Conure10

Conure10

Apr 11, 2010
Tucson
Parrots
This was my reply to BoomBoom, also a Conure owner, whose post and my reply somehow got deleted a few days ago.

BoomBoom, Elvis appreciates your praise for his golden years! I don't know how he achieved this but suspect that him being with us, and close to us, as much as possible helped his mental health which contributed to his long life. He has a food bowl and sleeping box next to my TV chair, where he spends his most time during the day, then into a cage at night in our bedroom.

He has always traveled with us on car trips. However when people see him and inquire about him, I always tell them to never get a parrot, as I don't believe most people are ready for the attention these creatures require to be a member of their flock. I think poor mental heath contributes to a short life for parrots.

I will try to get a video of Elvis posted within a month or so. I especially like his reaction when we return home on a car trip as he screeches with pleasure to get back into his sleeping box and be home again!

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I completely agree with that sentiment. I DO believe that mental health play a VERY important part in a parrots lifespan. Science already shows it affects human lifespan.

I've had a LOT of birds over the years, and the three I've had longest (including Skittles) are also the three I was closest too. I don't think that's a coincidence.

There is just so much evidence that shows that the amount of time, attention and care a parrot receives plays as much a part in their overall health and lifespan as diet and exercise.

I DO completely agree about people getting parrots. I don't think anyone who has never owned a bird before should ever get a sunny. I'm sure there are exceptions to that rule, but they aren't numerous. I'd had birds for 24yrs prior to getting Skittles and it was still a major adjustment and learning experience. Even though I spent days doing research prior to getting him. It was still quite an adjustment. If Skittles had been my first bird, I'd have been so in over my head. But as I've said plenty of times before, the ONLY con of owning a sun that is actually a con for me is the loud noisiness. Not so much the loudness, but the noisiness. The former isn't controllable but the latter is and the latter is more the issue which makes it manageable for me. The good thing is, Skittles is NEVER noisy for 'no reason', there is always a reason for his noisiness so all I have to do is address the reason and the noisiness stops. 9/10 its cause he hears or sees something out of the ordinary. But the other common 'cons' are actually 'pros' for my lifestyle, which I also think is a rarity.

Last edited:

Most Reactions