sunblock for dogs =/

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
My mutt has a pink nose and with summer finally showing it's face he got a little smidge of sunburn which he scratched at and caused a hideous scab on his nose. Anyhow I went and got some castor oil and zinc cream at the pharmacy for it but then read that zinc oxide can cause zinc toxicity in dogs so I freaked out and went to the vet to get special dog sunblock. Anyhow they had a couple of different types but they all contained zinc oxide... i brought one anyway because I'm unsure of the percentage in the original cream that I brought and feel safer with the dog specific but now I'm really confused!! I'm sure I have heard of people using regular human zinc foe their dogs?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Interesting. I know nothing about this, but I'm glad you brought it up :). It's good to know. We know zinc is toxic for parrots, but I had no idea that it's toxic for dogs. Hopefully the percentage is safer in the dog specific kind. I hope your pup's nose heals asap!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I have no personal experience with this but I'm also assuming maybe the percentage is lower in the pet formula? In any case I believe in small amounts that can be licked off the nose from sunscreen application, your dog should be safe. I think it becomes toxic to dogs at a higher ingestion. (I THINK?)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
People do use human sunblocks for their dogs but it is risky. Zinc is toxic to dogs, if they ingest the sunscreen, the zinc can effect the red blood cells causing anemia, some cases are pretty severe. Bullfrog makes a sunblock for humans that contains no zinc, it is the only one I know of that is safe for dogs. Espree Aloe Vera Jelly for pets is great for sunburns, razor burns, and hot spots, after too much sun exposure.

My kids have a mobile grooming service and a bull terrier. Georgie burns easy too.

OP
Freespin

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
People do use human sunblocks for their dogs but it is risky. Zinc is toxic to dogs, if they ingest the sunscreen, the zinc can effect the red blood cells causing anemia, some cases are pretty severe. Bullfrog makes a sunblock for humans that contains no zinc, it is the only one I know of that is safe for dogs. Espree Aloe Vera Jelly for pets is great for sunburns, razor burns, and hot spots, after too much sun exposure.

My kids have a mobile grooming service and a bull terrier. Georgie burns easy too.

But all of the pet sunblocks available for dogs at the vets contain zinc! Which is what got me confused =/

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I know. It is confusing, vet clinics do sell sunblock for dogs and it does contain zinc. There is such a small amount of zinc, if the dog doesn't lick it off and ingest it, most owners never know there's a danger. Some dogs repeatedly lick it off and those are the ones that show up at vet clinics. My son's bull terrier eats everything, that's how we found out about Bullfrog.

Most Reactions