ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I think she must get a forumname and just call her SunnyNL.
(The Sunny-family is quite an extensive one here :))

Although I have no intention of breeding, selling etc. her I want her to be fully legal and traceable.
(Just one of those 'worst case scenarios". We are kind of overregulated here - so it needs to be done.)
There has been enough "something or other" going on in her life and trying to figure it all out is driving me up ( and into ;) ) the walls.

By all accounts she is 10 years and a bit- the problem is...
al her "old legal papers" are connected to the legbands code& numbers.
So finding her breeder should be a piece of cake (well it isn't!).
(There is always the option of comparing her DNA with parentbirds or legal siblings - if they are alive and traceable of course. It's one of the standard tests available.)

The petshop where/via she was purchased does not want to give me any information (even though I now have those salespapers) about said breeders.
And I cannot really force the issue because...
although she is undeniably ringed as a baby (solid band/ring) she has gnawed on it to such an extend it is now completely unreadable!! :eek: :mad:
the one thing everyone probably thought would never happen....

(and we need a team from C.S.I. to get those numbers back! ;) If only everything was as easy in real life as it is on tv....)

Anyway- she was sold 2 months after hatching (unthinkable nowadays), and lost her first family within the year!
Her next flock cared for her the other nine (as far as I know).
They are lovely people (they have another macaw who is still doing great afaik) but are not very forthcomming with details etc. so it is kind of a black box situation...
so noooo idea when she started plucking or what happened to her wing/ or even what came first... (just that she got attacked by the other macaw at some point and they had to be seperated -> isolation -> plucking/ barbering?)

Like so many other parrots: you work with what you have...
So within 2 days of her joining me and the greys she was at the vets getting a full check-up and a microchip. (So now we really know who is who again!)

The problem is: I haven't gotten an unbroken papertrail from breeder to me. (And burocrats absolutely *hate* that.)
I spend a lovely part of the afternoon trying to explain this to the people who can issue her with new CITESdocuments (and make her a fully legal citizen again), and they also had no idea what to do about it... .

I am of course completely complicating matters because I want her legband/ ring gone in the near future. It looks like it is really hindering her - she is not sitting straight etc. and seems in doubt is she is a lefty or a righty.

They will get back to me at some point (within a week or so) but have to check with the enforcement department first...

(yup, there really is no such thing as a free lunch :09: or macaw! )

Wish us luck! :blue1:

Last edited:
I have 0% expertise on this, but 100% good-luck-wishing, Christa! AND Sunny!

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back