sunny,dnvlee..i tried to message yall back...

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Binky my 11 month old quaker,brought him home July 11,2014. Olly my o.w.a is 8 years old.brought him home,sept.3rd. :-)
But it says I have to have 20 post before I can p.m...thanks y'all :) ---i didn't get the y.n.a...but I did get an o.w.a he's 8 years old I got him about 3 hours sgo..he has already let me hold him and pet his head and belly :) :). :). :). I got him from the same breeder I got my Quaker from..he is gorgeous..and wait til you see the cage and stand and toys and perches etc...i got for $40! And its BIG From a lady that use to breed and quit doing it...fantastic!!!! Now for a name...going to look some up...using the same vet she does...oh and he has been sexed..papers..:orange:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Congrats on your new OWA. They are one of the "smaller" amazons and typically have a better temperament than the "hot 3" (DYH, BFA and YNAs). As a first big parrot, you'll probably have a more positive experience with the OWA and it helps if he took to you instantly. Whats his name? You mention he came from a lady who use to breed them, so out of curiosity, is he an xbreeder bird? Hope you'll post pics soon:)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
If you need to send personal messages before you reach the required number of posts, you can send the message to a moderator and ask them to forward it to the member you wish to contact, and they will.

OP
M

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Binky my 11 month old quaker,brought him home July 11,2014. Olly my o.w.a is 8 years old.brought him home,sept.3rd. :-)
No,kiwi he wasn't bred..she breeds some,she also takes in unwanted birds...etc...I don't have him named yet...trying to pick something out..watching his personality to see if something comes to mind :) and looking t bird names online..the lady is real nice,but omg. She had hundreds upon hundreds of birds out there and it was craaazy..no way he got much attention I can't wait to dote on him...I'm also doing lots of reading up...she also had a red lored amazon bout his size in same price range,I never read up on them,but he was a beauty also...younger,but she said he seemed to like men better...she also says that this amazon isn't near as loud as my quaker,lol will post pics of my new baby tom. I love him. He stepped up on my arm twice today and bent his head down as if to say I could pet him so of course I did. :) OK. Sage thanks

Last edited:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
That's great! Congrats! That is awesome that you can that you can already hold him and pet him too! Can't wait to see pics!

OP
M

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Thanks 4dugnlee :) don't get me wrong he has "nipped" at my hand several times.but he hasn't actually bit me.he just softly does it like to warn me .lol. a little intimidating when u are use to small beaked birds.but I don't let him see that he scared me.I just slowly back off and talk sweet to him. Not sure if that's what I'm suppose to do or not,lol but he seems to respond well to it..once I remove my hand he slowly inches back closer to me.the reason he let me "hold" him was I was in the room with him on the bed sweet talking him for bout 30 mins.my hubby walked in which he hadn't spoke to him at all and my arm was laying on the bed so he jumped on it like I was gonna protect him or something.lol. twice when I slowlyyyy put my hand closer to him he nipped at it then lowered his head down as if to say I'm sorry,here pet me,so I did and he let me for quite awhile. :) still thinking of names. So far I like Murphy.buster. Jasper..the lady said she called him junior cause she has his dad,I'm not crazy bout junior and I don't think she could have possibly spent enough time calling him that,that he even knows its junior..would y'all think so?

OP
M

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
PS.thought about naming him something with a j so it would sound closer to junior..but not sure that's even necessary.Lol Binky seems to love him and wants to play but the o.w.a don't love Binky yet. Quaker THINKS he's a big bad bird in a wittle bitty body!

Last edited:

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Hi...so happy for you and your orange wing! I think if he's nipping that would be normal for a new situation and environment. At first my amazon BIT:eek:...there was no nipping...lol. Left blood and bruises several times. I was just patient and took it very very slow, and she came around and she is like a totally different bird with me now. Still have a LONG way to go to overcome her situation with her previous owner, but all in all she has totally turned around. Now she will nip me...but she does not bite me hard anymore.

As far as names go, when I got my sun conure his name was Chico. I didn't really care for that name so I changed it to Cisco. He didn't respond to his name anyway. He responds to seeing/hearing us, so no problem. I've seen many on the forum who have changed their birds names. I didn't change Sassy's name because, well, it fits her!;)

Cisco also is a little bird that thinks he's a big bird! I think he would adjust fine to being out with Sassy at the same time. Sassy, on the other hand, I don't believe would do so well. I don't have plans on letting them out at the same time. It would be nice but I feel I would have to station train Sassy before I would even attempt it. We have a nice schedule at the moment so for the time being I will leave it all as is.

Keep up updated and again, congrats!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Congrats on your new OWA I do think this will be a better choice size wise and temperament than the older nape would have been. At 8 yrs old you should "get what you see" as for as his attitude so that will make it easier as well. Just take it slow and before too long you should have a great new friend.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
If you find the nipping to be an acceptable way for him to say "please back off" then your reaction is fine. If you would prefer he not nip, you should not react at all expect to give him a "stern" look, a firm "no!" while keeping a 'confident' stance with him to communicate he is not getting the reaction he wants by taking that action. Basically, you backing off when he nips is communicating it is OK for him to nip if he wants you to back off. Tread lightly, permitting nips could lead to bites and the bird training you instead of the other way around. I wouldn't allow it personally. Kiwi can communicate he doesn't want to come out of his cage or is not liking what I'm doing by turning his back or kind of "shaking" his beak at me in this certain way he does when irritated and that is what makes me respectfully back off. I don't personally allow aggressive forms of communication or aggressive contact whether it actually hurts me or not.

OP
M

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
I've been telling him NO,firmly and shaking my head no...I swear to ya the last time I stuck my hand up there,he thought about it for a sec. And then shook his head ruffled his feathers and stepped back. I laughed and he walked up to me laid his head down on the cage so I would pet him! So I gave him a treat and told him good boy. So far so good...I love him. He also let me hold him again twice today and not because anyone scared him! :) I think partly because he sees me holding Binky. I think ive
decided to call him Murphy.dunno why but that name jut keeps coming to mind no matter what else I think of.nope...Olly fits him..he's def. Olly now

Last edited:
OP
M

michellebaughman

Sep 1, 2014
Media
Parrots
Kiwi thanks for the advice,I have been firmly telling him no,and he listens! He tries to bite on the couchpillow or something..whenever I firmly say NO he stops! So cute they really seem so much like a 2 year old child! He pitches little fits too,,if I give him food he don't want he throws it,he will also take his bowl and bang it on top of his cage if its empty or it has something in it he don't want..I tell him no olly and he stops. Its funny how much they seem to understand.

Most Reactions