SUNNY my new sun conure :-)

Joshua

Mar 15, 2013
south africa
Parrots
1 sun conure (ZAZU)
hay guys I just got sunny today she is super tame coz she is hand raised and she is only 3 months old the pet shop where I had bought her kept her in a shocking dirty cage but she seems healthy she is lively and playful she is eating well and she looks a lot better since I gave her a bath (the water was green :( after ). the owner of the shop gave me a bag of mixed bean wheat grain and pea and corn and said I should boil it for 20min and put it in the fridge then give it to her once cooled she loves it :) can anyone give me some advice on caring for her. :orange:

Attachments

• IMG_2013032640976.jpg
    IMG_2013032640976.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 4,051

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Beautiful baby sun :) it was just 10 months ago starburst looked like that :).

Suns are curious...jumpy too at times...they cuddle, roll over if they feel like it, and can be very vocal...they are the loudest of all conure..but ours isn't that vocal...

Ours is with us all of the time... he's like a child to us..

They love toys, but sometimes you have to acclimate them to the toys, because they're skiddish of them..

They love baths, and cuddling...very loving birds...

Give your bird a couple of days, if its friendly now..when its really used to its new surroundings....it will really open up to you :)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Aw, look at the baby! She is younger than when i got Georgie. Very sweet.
I agree with 94lt1 about them tending to be a little jumpy and maybe not nervous but very circumspect. ;) Georgie would really look at a new toy like 'The Enemy' at first. Anything entering her cage was treated with a suspicious eye at first.

My sun did LOVE to take a bath and generally kept her appearance stunningly perfect. Not a messy bird at all!! She had an awesome sense of humor too. She was almost a little trouble maker because she thought it was SO funny.

And she had a way of seeming larger than life, indestructibly tough, hiding how sensitive she really was.

One other thing to keep in mind--my sun required 'high potency formula' pellets. She ran lean, even eating pellets and table food. My vet said it isn't totally uncommon with suns to need high potency. But a routine physical is enough to keep on top of it really.
Good luck with your sweet baby!

OP
Joshua

Joshua

Mar 15, 2013
south africa
Parrots
1 sun conure (ZAZU)
thanks for the replies guys i had read that these birds love to cuddle but i had just shrugged it off thinking that yes maybe when it is totally used to you and you have a bond of ten years or so but zazu is cuddling in my jacket every two minutes he even crawled and slept in my jacket pocket for about ten minutes then i took him out to put back in his cage lol, i cant believe how loving and friendly she is on her first day. one more thing if you look in the pic at the top of yer head there is a lot of green is this normal there is green all over her face with patches of yellow after the first molt will it all turn yellow and when is her first molt about. thanks

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
Yeah the coloring is exactly like my sun..he was very dark and green when we got him...your bird will brighten as it ages..it could take 2-5 years for it to fully turn and get all of its bright colors.

OP
Joshua

Joshua

Mar 15, 2013
south africa
Parrots
1 sun conure (ZAZU)
in this pic you can see her head a bit better

Attachments

• IMG_201303265184.jpg
    IMG_201303265184.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 941

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Yep.. in 3 months, he'll have more yellow and he will brighten up...look at my album and you can see starburst go from green like yours, to very yellow..
I'd post a pic, but I'm having issues at the moment :)

Dang phone :)

OP
Joshua

Joshua

Mar 15, 2013
south africa
Parrots
1 sun conure (ZAZU)
hahahaha we all have technical problems no worries :) thanks for the replies haha she loves to cuddle

Parrotdise

Mar 14, 2013
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot, Sam, Double Yellow Headed Amazon, Sierra & Black Headed Caique, Daisy Jane
Congrats she looks like a sweetheart!

Most Reactions