supplements

tokensmom

Jan 24, 2013
Parrots
GCC...TOKEN
Hey guys...so I was at my local pet shop tonight (I trust this place, in business 30 yrs). Anyway, being a new bird owner I don't want to just do what people want to sell me that day, I want to do a little research. So please tell me what supplements you give your bird besides seed, pellets and fruit/veggies.
I was recommended:
BEE POLLEN
SPIROLINNA
CALCIUM (powder form)
and to get a light for my bird to be on 12 hrs a day.
Thanks for your feedback and opinions.

Akraya

May 7, 2012
Brisbane, QLD
Parrots
Misha - Yellowsided GCC
Guapo - Cinnamon GCC
Nimbus - Alexandrine
None of my birds are on supplements.
Nimbus my Alex was on calcium for a little while because her bones on an xray were dim, but it's my understanding that if they're on pellets, with veggies they don't need supplements unless they have a deficiency.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Calcium powder, Iodine drops, and spirolina powder, for my lovebirds,cockatiels, and Senegal.

for my finches this is what I use: liquid vitamins,egg food, herb salad, charcoal, and blue grit.

all my birds get plenty of veggies,some fruits, brown rice, leafy greens, & beans

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Avitech AviBios, a probiotic powder, recommended by my avian vet.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Any mineral/vitamin supplement should only be used when advised by your vet, it's too easy to over dose a bird

Bee pollen is great, it's a super food and full of good stuff. Just make sure it's organic and from a good enviroment. Organic from a pollution filled area will not be healthy for your birds compared to organic from the middle of no where.

pure calcium powder is good.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
[FONT=&quot]I would not recommend calcium supplements without having a Blood Chemistry test done to confirm the calcium levels. If your bird has been tested to have a low calcium level. Follow your avian vet's guidelines with supplementation.
:grey:
[/FONT]

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
[FONT=&quot]I would not recommend calcium supplements without having a Blood Chemistry test done to confirm the calcium levels. If your bird has been tested to have a low calcium level. Follow your avian vet's guidelines with supplementation.
:grey:
[/FONT]
Calcium supplements have a lot of extra stuff in it. You can easily overdose your bird PURE calcium powder is fine. I prefer just using a cuttle bone.

Most Reactions