Supposed to be my bird

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
So as I've said recently, I adopted Simba, a B&G on Friday, Nov.8. I expected the first few days to be a "feeling out" period, but I'm not liking what I see. First a little history on this bird. He belonged to a man, and was more "man friendly". But for the last 18 months, he was with a foster mom who didn't devote all that much time to him, because she has somewhere around 30 birds. When we went to see him at the foster mom's house, he was apprehensive with my gf, but seemed to really like me. The foster mom said that she had never seen him take to anyone the way he took to me.

So now we get him home, I'm the one giving him treats, cleaning the cage, trying to get to know him. But when I get close to the cage, he gets into a defensive posture. Feathers poofed, beak open, head lowered. Mind you, this is not ALL the time, but probably 75% of the time. He will take treats from me gently, though. My gf, however, can walk up to the cage and he's just as calm as can be. If you watched the video that I posted in the Macaw section, you'll see him talking up a storm to her when I'm away.

I have not gotten him out of his cage since Friday, because I had been advised not to. Told to let him sit in there and get used to things. It seems like it's getting worse with him in there all the time though. If I try to get him out, he tries to bite. Birdman666 has told me to grab his beak with 2 fingers, but he slips right out and lunges again. Don't get me wrong, he's not being mean, just protective. Should I try to get him out or leave him in a while longer?

Now the big question: How do I make him "my" bird again? My gf doesn't want to and won't handle him. He scares her some because of the potential for pain.

Thanks!

OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Oops! I see a similar post just 2 below this one. My apologies for a repeat of almost the same question. <embarrassed>

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oops! I see a similar post just 2 below this one. My apologies for a repeat of almost the same question. <embarrassed>

It's all right Bruce, this is YOUR thread about YOUR Simba. :)

I truly think Simba doesn't quite know how and where to place you and your GF. He probably feels your GF is less threatening because she hasn't tried to hold him, or get him to come out of his cage - YOU have. Therefore he already knows you ASK things of him, things he may not be ready for, or may not like just yet.

Does he take treats from you without lunging?

Could you ask your GF to leave the room as you try and work with him?

How does Simba react when you quietly just sit by his cage and talk to him/read to him, without direct eye contact. Does he seem interested, or does he make attempts to lunge then, too?

OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
he doesn't lunge at treats, except one time when I opened the door and tried to hand him a walnut. I think he was highly stimulated at the time, though. But he gently takes treats every other time I offer them. And he seems to appreciate them, too. He says "Mmmm!" as he starts to eat things that are sweet or extra yummy, like banana chips or almonds. I can sit on the couch next to the cage and watch tv and he's perfectly fine. Sometimes he'll come down and look at me, then eventually he starts grinding his beak before bedtime. But if I have a snack, he's my best buddy. Uh huh. I'm wise to you, bird. lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ok, so that is good. :)

You 2 have a lifetime together, so just take is ultra slow with Simba. He will let you know when he is ready to come out. No need to rush things. :)

GREAT sign that he is grinding his beak before bed time, and also a great sign that he shows interest in you (AND of course the food).

Once you can open the cage and give him treats with the cage open without him lunging, I think THEN is a good time to try and get him to step up and out of his cage.

In the meantime just establish a routine with him, and in no time he should be at ease, and more relaxed - instead of being on the defensive.

OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Thank you, Wendy. So keeping him in the cage is ok for a while longer? We bought him a tree yesterday and he's looking at it longingly lol. I want to be able to take him out, pet him, talk to him, etc. Guess I'll just be patient a while longer.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you, Wendy. So keeping him in the cage is ok for a while longer? We bought him a tree yesterday and he's looking at it longingly lol. I want to be able to take him out, pet him, talk to him, etc. Guess I'll just be patient a while longer.

I would say roll the tree next to the cage and let Simba climb on it on his own, but I'm afraid you would possibly have a struggle getting him to go BACK into his cage, and I would avoid conflict at this time, especially since you are in the early stages of building a good, trusting relationship.

The other thing is, once he steps up on you (or on a perch), then you can take him to the new tree. Hopefully he'll see this as a reward. :) You don't want him wondering wherever he pleases, it could be a recipe for disaster.

Of course there is NO guarantee that once he is on the tree that he'll be a willing participant to go back to the cage. :54:

Being calm and confident is THE most important thing when dealing with a big mac. They are so very intuned to our feelings. They will sense fear and reluctance and most will then take advantage - or try to, anyway.

OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
He's getting worse. He's bit me 3 times now while trying to give him treats. Comes in real nice then BAM! he gets me. Maybe I'm just not cut out to have a bird. Cuz this one wants to eat me and the other is afraid of me.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I have not gotten him out of his cage since Friday, because I had been advised not to.

Now the big question: How do I make him "my" bird again? My gf doesn't want to and won't handle him. He scares her some because of the potential for pain.

Thanks!

1. I don't know why she would advise you not to. I always started working with them right away...

And the answer to the big question: Handle him, A LOT!

The defensive stuff is normal. Maggie, my GW did that with me (for about 4 days TOTAL!) at first. Then she settled in, and became a great bird.

Locking them in a cage doesn't do you any favors. Set up his routine, and stick with it. He'll get used to it.

This is when we sleep. This is when we get up. This is when we eat. This is our outside time. This is our 1 on 1 time. This is when you have to entertain yourself. This is when we go back to sleep.

First order of business, bite pressure training and step up practice and establishing the routine.

Have you tried sitting down with the bird on your lap and hand feeding some warm (not too hot! You should be able to touch it and not feel discomfort) oatmeal? That usually goes a long way toward bonding...

"It's lap time!"

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm with Birdman there!!!! I always work with them from day one as well. It's been said to leave them be perhaps in some hand book people read. I've been owning birds long enough to know better.

OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Birdman, I can't even get him out of the cage...yet. He's all wound up when I get home and I don't dare try to let him out when my dog is inside. Lap time? I'd be happy with not getting torn up time. Most of his routine is set up already. We go to bed and get up about the same time every day and we eat at the same time for the most part. Play time hasn't been established because I haven't been able to get him out. I'm going to take a chance and try getting him out again. I think he's got cabin fever.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Hmmmmm, i didn't handle Fargo straight away, but i also didn't let him have no interaction..

He was scared, didn't like people, didn't want to be touched, didn't want to step up..

I left him in his cage for one whole day, that next afternoon i opened the cage up and let him climb out by himself and play.. Because i hated seeing him in his cage..

He would do what he wanted, when i went to catch him, he would get to the highest point ;)

So i ignored him, and then he wanted MY attention, so because i wasn't looking at him, he wanted to be with me :p Cheeky things haha

But in his cage i would ask him to step up and have a treat, each time he got closer to me, i would reward, then i would hold a treat, and try and pat him, but he would run back...

It was just a very long slow process in the cage, with lots of treats!!

Every time i would put my hand in his cage, he would run to the other side and cling to the side, he never attacked, he just ran away!!

I would sit next to his cage all day, talk to him, read to him, sing to him.. He LOVED me playing guitar, that was the first time i had ever heard him talk :)

If you have only had Simba 4 days, then don't stress just yet!! It took me about 8 days before i could give Fargo scritches!!!

Think it was about 3-4 days before he would step up from his cage.. After a week he was flying to me on command!

Some birds are fine being handled from day one... But i preferred taking it super duper slow with Fargo, and letting him do it all by himself, not forcing him..

I tell you, after the first 3 days, i was upset because i thought Fargo would never love me and bond to me... It seemed like he wanted nothing to do with me!

And now look at us!!

I think taking it slow, and earning his trust and love is what makes our bond so special now, Fargo trusts me 100% :)

Here are some pictures of when i first got Fargo, when he just wanted to sit in his cage haha
http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/35568-has-been-1-year-me-fargo.html

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
You just need to open the door without the dog around if you ever want to get him trained. Have a training stick on you as it would help you in the process. Or you can just ignore him and let him come to you on his own. That does work as macaws are inquisitive animals and they want to be part of the flock. But I prefer hands on method.

Matilda

Nov 9, 2013
Media
CA
Parrots
Two Grays, a Senegal, A Meyers, a Pionus
In my experience, birds decide pretty quickly whom they 'like' and relate to. My daughter ended up with a Senegal parrot that she'd fallen in love with at a store. Surprise. After trying repeatedly to "make friends," to no avail, it became clear that our Senegal has made it clear she dislikes my daughter and even will dive-bomb her given the chance. But this bird ADORES my husband. Go figure.

Blueridge

Sep 16, 2013
North Carolina
Parrots
Rocky - Yellow-Faced Quaker Parrot
I don't know much about macaws, but I would get him out as soon as possible and get him used to you. Waiting is boring, eh?

OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Not looking good for Simba here. He seems to love my gf who wants nothing to do with handling him, and lunges at me more and more every day. How long do I give him to come around? Is he still confused and upset about the move? Will he ever be handle-able by me without me forcing the issue? In case anyone wonders, it's been only a week that I've had him.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you tried any positive reinforcement/applied behavior analysis/clicker training with him?

OP
B

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Yes, he is getting better. Tonight he had a bad night. Very vocal, didn't want to come out or really interact, though. I found out that he does NOT like to be scolded! At one point I raised my voice to him (didn't shout, just raised my voice) and said "Simba!" then in a normal tone said, "please don't do that". Well, he took it personally. He kept on squawking and yelling, and then when I put his food bowl back into his cage he lunged at my head. I think he was going after my ear. But he missed, so no real harm done. We'll pretend it didn't happen and start tomorrow fresh. I'm talking quietly with him now and he's grinding his beak and getting ready to sleep. Good bird.

Most Reactions