Swollen Conure Toe, Help?

recycled_karma

Sep 10, 2013
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Currently I have a 21 year old Nanday Conure named Frito. I'm looking into adopting a larger bird. I lost my Blue & Gold Macaw many, many years ago & my Goffin's Cockatoo in 2009.
I have a 21 year old Nanday Conure with a swollen toe problem. I noticed the problem 2 weeks ago & it happened overnight. I took him to the vet for the first time ever the next day & they said it was either an infection, or gout (sp?). The vet prescribed the antibiotic "Ciprofloxacin" that I crushed and mixed with water & gave to him once a day as she outlined. It hasn't helped & the problem is still there! I am posting an attached pic of his toe, so please take a look & let me know if you have seen this issue? He is getting older & the vet tells me she's never met a bird of his size & age. I honestly don't think his age is an excuse for dismissing the toe issue, but she seemed to make that connection. His mother bit off a toe when he was young (prior to me) & he needs the rest, so please chime in if you have any ideas! Sincerely, Mark:confused:

Attachments

• 20130910_193229177552201.jpg
    20130910_193229177552201.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 3,495

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Ouchies!!!!

I'm going to guess gout, considering age.... please get a blood panel/CBC done on your nanday! This will confirm whether or not your little conure is having any organ problems. Gout is linked to the kidneys.

Do a search (Ctrl + F) for Gout to get to the section on it quickly
Expert Bird Care Instruction | Educational DVDs for Bird Owners | Parrot Bytes: Volume 1, No 1: Nutrition

Gout in a budgie
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/teashas/BTpersonalthreads/tended.jpg

If it is gout, a diet change and meds will be required. Allopurinal might be one of those meds.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
oh man, your poor birdie :( I can't suggest much that Monica hasn't already said, only to please take your conure to a avian vet. If you are low on money explain what your budget is to the vet so they can work around that.

OP
R

recycled_karma

Sep 10, 2013
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Currently I have a 21 year old Nanday Conure named Frito. I'm looking into adopting a larger bird. I lost my Blue & Gold Macaw many, many years ago & my Goffin's Cockatoo in 2009.
Thank you both! First of all I took him to an avian vet for the issue & she seems clueless! I also have insufficient funds for vet visits beyond the one I've already taken him to. Secondly I'm cuurious as to how you know its gout & it stems from an organ issue? Is there anything I can do, short of a vet visit & tests, if it is gout? I guess I'm looking for a cost prohibited Way of helping him with the swollen toe?

Not to say I'm not willing to borrow money for a vet visit, but if there are cost effective option then I'll try it first.

Thanks so much for your wisdom, Mark

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Click on the first hyperlink Monica given you and go down and read about gout. So in order to rule it out you need to have your bird tested. Then meds and change of diet was suggested.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I had a cherry headed conure that could have had failing kidneys although tests were not definite on it. It was the only thing that made sense. I put him on the Roudybush Renal Care Diet (it's like $30 for a 3lb bag.... not cheap!) and his kidney values did improve.

Gout is an excessive amount of uric acid in the body. It usually dissolves in the blood and passes through the kidneys and out via urine. When the kidneys are no longer functioning at top notch, it may not be able to get rid of enough uric acid from the body.

A low protein diet and medications are going to be required if it is this. My conure was estimated to be 17-19 years old when he passed away but I suspect he was much older. I had had him for 8 years, person before me had him for 5-6 years and we're not sure how long the person before her had him for. He was never on meds only because the vets couldn't confirm he had bad kidneys - and we did do testing.

What is Frito's current diet?

OP
R

recycled_karma

Sep 10, 2013
Dayton, OH
Parrots
Ouchies!!!!

I'm going to guess gout, considering age.... please get a blood panel/CBC done on your nanday! This will confirm whether or not your little conure is having any organ problems. Gout is linked to the kidneys.

Monica, I'm certain its gout. Could you please share the details of your treatment & how it worked???? They are about the same size birds. If it worked & you are able to share your treatment of the gout would be greatly appreciated! Frito is the son I never had, so any help will be met with my sincerest gratitude!
thank you,
Mark

Do a search (Ctrl + F) for Gout to get to the section on it quickly
Expert Bird Care Instruction | Educational DVDs for Bird Owners | Parrot Bytes: Volume 1, No 1: Nutrition

Gout in a budgie
http://i404.photobucket.com/albums/pp127/teashas/BTpersonalthreads/tended.jpg

I don't know what's going on with this program, but please see my attached questions above!-

If it is gout, a diet change and meds will be required. Allopurinal might be one of those meds.
^#&@*@*@*@(@((@(@((@(@(@(#((#*#*#*#

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I had a bird with potential kidney problems, not gout. Therefore, I have not had to treat gout. I've only read up on gout trying to prepare for the worst. From my research, pain meds and meds to reduce the amount of uric acid in the body are required as well as a diet change. Recommended diet is typically one low in protein and potentially high in liquids. A dry diet may cause more stress on the kidneys rather than less.

Most Reactions

Latest posts