Tab had an accident - in hospital

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
At least it wasn't too serious. Could have been much worse!

BACON

May 18, 2013
Oh gosh..... I've been wondering where she was all day?!! We now I know I'll send her a little message.

And of course wish her a speedy recovery. She'd been getting on so well with kyros!!! X

TreeBee

Jul 13, 2013
Media
Crestview Florida
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo (Silas)
Congo African Grey (Banjo)
Yellow Naped Amazon (Aurora)
B & G Macaw ( Marley )
Scarlet Macaw ( Phoenix )
Let Tab know we're all thinking about her, and wishing for a quick recovery!! I'm sure she'll be sore for awhile. :(

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
havent read the whole thread yet, hoping she has a speedy recovery! cant wait til she's back and feeling better!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
UPDATE from Tab's mum:

This morning's update: Tabitha has had a good nights sleep and no obvious issues. I will be up to collect her in a few hours and then I am certain we will all receive blow by blow details of the incident and the entire ride in an ambulance through to her hospital stay, where she had many FIRST in he life as an adult patient....The hospital has said she is sleeping so all good nothing unusual there for our normal late riser....

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Thank you for the updates! My heart sunk when I read the first one. Sounds like it will be a sore couple weeks for her.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
See how loved you are Tab <3 We all love you to bits. Hurry up and come home, we miss you!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Glad to hear she's doing ok...hopefully she gets to go home soon- I bet all her babies are beside themselves wondering where their mum is!! :(

Kinny

Jul 26, 2013
Media
South Australia
Parrots
1 male Cockatiel
Oh my gosh my heart stopped beating for a few seconds there!!! Tab is so lucky! So thrilled to hear that she's ok and doing well. *melts in exhaustion after having a mini stress attack* Again, so glad she's ok!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Tab should be home any minute. :)

I don't know when she'll be online, she's had a rough night, BUT she will be all right.

I will let her fill you all in when she feels up to it.

This has been a LONG day for me. I was worried sick about her. :(

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Tab, best wishes from myself and Bundii. I am sure that once you are home with your awesome babies, both furry and feathered, you will feel much better. Again, hope you start to feel better soon.

Chelle

Aug 5, 2013
Parrots
CHEESECAKE (Pineapple~GCC) 2/4/14
Praying for Tab! Get well soon! Thanks for the updates Wendy.

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Wow thank you all so much !

Just got home, very exhausted and feeling very sick again, but ok.. Might take a nap soon

Sooooo what happened..

I was riding Kyros, the past 2-3 weeks he has been so good, but the lady told us he was very strong and has run away and jumped out of an arena before... but he had never done that with me..

But yesterday he just must of had his head someplace else..

He bolted, jumped the arena fence.. Then galloped 100 meters..

I was still on him.. Then he was about to clear a massive gate, and at the last second he dodged left.. I went to the right, but there was a fence there, so went under him, and his back right hoof went into my hip/belly/abdominal area

I had no idea what i was going to do, cause only my brother was home... Just was very lucky he was going to get the mail and saw Kyros running up the mountain..

I was on the ground, couldn't really move, was very winded..

Sam came running, called the ambulance, called mum. Mum called the neighbours, they came and sat with me seeing what was wrong..

Had the hoof mark on my shirt, and the skin was grazed and bruised..

I just kept telling everyone to go get Kyros. My brother took the bridle and saddle off, but not any of his leg wraps

Anyways, ambulance got there 25 minutes later... And it just happened to be my favourite paramedic! :)
Had a look, took my blood pressure, then gave me this pain puffer thing..

But i couldnt do it, so he said i can give you a needle... but it will hurt

So he did... It didnt hurt, needles dont hurt, i dont know why everyone cares about needles haha

And i said- my bird could bite harder than that :p

and he laughed.. and i just kept saying i couldnt go.. i had to stay here to look after my bird..

and he was like unfortunately we have to take you..

So was an hour drive to hospital.. Got morphine shots every 10-15 minutes.. and took my blood pressure every 10 minutes..

At one point it was very low, then he got worried!

But was a great trip up.. Was laughing so much talking to him, talking about favourite movies and favourite comedians.. Then was talking about being a paramedic, because last time he was here, he told mum that i should drop by and talk about being one!

So on the way up he told me which uni i can go to, and then i can do all my training with him each year! So thats awesome

ANYWAY...

Then i got a really bad headache, because i was so dehydrated, but they couldnt give me any water until they knew if i had any bleeding or fluid...

Got there at 5pm, my hip area was numb, and didnt hurt as long as i stayed still... They just kept pumping more and more morphine into me, had 2 needle/drips in each arm!

So nurses were all getting information and talking to me, took my clothes off.. Blahhhhh

Then the doctor came in, he was a young guy, very very nice, and i just kept saying..

I can go home tonight right?!?!

and he just said i really dont think you will :/

So he wanted to look at my back... this was the first time i had to move my hip.. and my god. it KILLED

i have never had such an intense pain.. They had rolled me on my side, and i just screamed and yelled them to stop...

Cant even explain how much it hurt, just was sobbing so much into my hands..

I kept telling them that i was fine.. and the nurse was like you are not fine, it is ok to feel pain...

and then more nurses came in and she said- dont believe anything she says, this girl is as hard as nails and wont tell you when she is in pain!

Then they did all the scans and ultrasounds, all that was good..

They had to give me the iodine though, it made my body feel like it was on fire, and SO sick.. Was horrible !

Then they had to move me onto the bed again, moved the hip, and screamed again :(

Was about 7 by then, just felt incredibly sick, doctor came in again and talked to me and said i cant go home :(

and still wouldnt give me any water or IV fluid..

Then helped me sit up, and i threw up 3 times every time i tried to move...

Finally had a little nap.. Then at 10 they moved me to the emergency over night ward!

Mum left then..

I went to sleep fairly quickly...

Woke up at 1 and did my blood pressure and pulse.. and FINALLY was allowed a drink..

Then was woken at 3, and 5.. for more tests.. Then i woke at 6:30am...

Tried to have a little breakfast at 7, but took me an hour to eat a piece of bread..

But could walk finally!!!

VERY bruised and very swollen, looks like i have an alien growing inside me !

The doctors and nurses all think i am just INCREDIBLY lucky, considering a 900kg horse stood straight on me...

Thats why they were all so worried, because i should of had very bad internal injuries..

I am just very solid hahaha

But yes, 900kg horse, think it was a bit of a miracle!!

Just got home, felt very sick on the trip home, very sore and stiff, haven't seen Kyros yet..

Mum wont let me ride him in our arena anymore, have to use the neighbours huge fenced arena for a few months until he learns what stopping means..

Came in my room..

Fargo said 'hellllooo'

and honest to god, i have never seen him so happy to see me

Usually when i let him out he flies and goes and plays

He hopped out, started making these super happy noises, then just jumped onto my chest and sat looking at me and rubbing his head on me

Couldnt believe it! It actually looked like he was smiling at me, and the way he was looking at me, like i was his whole world, just made me instantly happy..

Birds are amazing, i didnt think he would really care, but man you could see how much he was glad to see me!

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
Oh, Tab! Rest, rest, rest and then get some "more" rest. You have a super-human high tolerance for pain.Thank God you're okay. We've all been so worried.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
VERY thankful that you are ok and that you are home now to finish healing up!! When I first saw this post: "Tab had an accident", I kind of instantly felt sick. So glad you are on the mend!! :D And, of course Fargo is pure joy right now. I'm sure he is just elated to have you back.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Poor Tab! It sounds like she was very lucky, hopefully it doesn't happen again. All part of the danger of working with those amazing and huge creatures.

Keeping tab in my thoughts, I hope no complications arise during the night.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Yay, I'm glad your home! Your were so lucky O.O I think your mom's suggestion is great.

Your going to have some knarly bruise tomorrow

Most Reactions