Tab (tab_xo) & Amanda (Bundiibird)....Earthquake in Queensland

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I'm sure they're fine, just sounds like a bit of a wobble.

Now I've got Carole King in my head.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
"I feel the earth move under my feet, I hear the sky tumbling down"

I LOVE Carole King! She is my all-time favourite female artist and her songs are legendary. :)

AFAIK, Amanda lives in Bundaberg (north of the quake area) and Tab is farther away, nearer to Toowoomba. I haven't heard news of much damage yet, although that can always change over time with earthquakes. The biggest worry with earthquakes (IMHO) is that it affects animals in strange ways and can make them do silly/dangerous things. :(

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
It's a great song, but a bit of an earworm....

The tremor doesn't seem to have done anything, it's more the possibility that it's a forerunner for more, or a bigger one.

(EDIT and now I want ginger beer..... https://www.bundaberg.com/ for those who aren't aussie)

Last edited:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
B*gger the ginger beer! I'll have a Bundy (rum) and Coke, thanks!

I think I heard the earthquake was 5.2. That's pretty big! Big enough to knock over buildings. We had a 5.6 quake here in N'cle about twenty-five years ago and the city is still recovering from the damage that happened then. The quake lasted for exactly thirty-seven seconds. It was strong enough to shake the monitor off of my computer (saved by my friend, who caught it just in the nick of time). My lingering memory of the N'cle earthquake is that for years afterward any loud, deep noise caused people to jump and run! LOL! We had aftershocks, but they were only little ones, thank goodness. I hope Bundaberg's OK - wouldn't want anything nasty to happen to the rum distillery!

PS. You want an earworm? How 'bout 'Smackwater Jack'??? :D :D :D

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
Hi all. Thanks for the concern. We are located in rocky which is about 3 hours away. I did not even realise what had happened until I got home from work this afternoon. I was woken up at about 2am when the windows were rattling but one does not usually expect it to be an earthquake in central queensland. I thought it must of been the cats from across the road chasing geckos.

There does not seem to be any damage and the news tonight said there is a possibility of aftershocks. We will see what the next few days brings.

Thanks again for the concern and I will keep you up to date if anything further happens. I am pretty sure Tab would be ok as she lives in Southern queensland.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I know Tab's cool. I've corresponded with her within the last 20 minutes (before even seeing this thread) and there was no mention of an earthquake, so I doubt it was an issue for her.

Great to know you're good too, Amanda! And Apple! And Trish! (Now I have to try and remember the rest of our Aussie members! I know there're a ton of you on here! Lol!)

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
All good down here... I had no idea about it until I saw something on facebook later today :eek: Thank you for thinking of us <3 :D

Although.. Speaking of animals acting strange..
The K's were running around tonight... Had to go and check them.. Maybe a strange earthquake after effect reaction occurring many hours later ;)

Wait a second....... This was taken this morning... Animals acting weird?!?!?!?
Oh no wait, that's just Kyros's normal behaviour.. What is it with my animals and their tongues?!?!?! ;)

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wait a second....... This was taken this morning... Animals acting weird?!?!?!?
Oh no wait, that's just Kyros's normal behaviour.. What is it with my animals and their tongues?!?!?! ;)

You're obviously the common denominator, Tablet!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm glad all our Aussie members are safe.

Tab, please thank Kyros for sticking out his tongue for the camera, adorable.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Glad you're all fine and farther away :). Look at Kyros!!! He's absolutely silly :D not only his tongue, look at his ears!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm sure they're fine, just sounds like a bit of a wobble.

Now I've got Carole King in my head.

That was actually the first record album I ever owned as a kid.

Tapestry.

However, this is not the song from that album I want stuck in my head... Or, for that matter, the Dudley Moore character from Foul Play...

The kids in our audience are saying, wait, what, huh?!

Most Reactions