Tail feather bleeding

KentNick

Oct 3, 2014
I've just got home from work and Ollie has blood coming from the base of one of his tail feathers?? What should I do?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Can you determine if he's lost a good amount of blood already? (Look around on the bottom of the cage) If Ollie broke a newly emerging feathershaft, you may have to apply some cornstarch to the area if the bleeding doesn't stop on its own, however, IME healthy birds stop bleeding all on their own after only a short amount of time, especially when kept calm and quiet.

OP
K

KentNick

Oct 3, 2014
Yeah he's lost quite a bit already by the looks of it, I'm not too sure if it's stopped yet I'm going to clean up all the blood and keep a close eye on it for the next hour. I've just been reading up about blood feathers and I'm not 100% confident to pull it out myself

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Before pulling it, I'd suggest trying some corn starch. Apply it liberally, and apply some pressure for a little while.

If that fails, as a last resort I'd pull it. Please know though that pulling it will require a bit of strength...and a good set of nerves.

OP
K

KentNick

Oct 3, 2014
Ok I'll try the cornstarch (well cornflour here in the UK) and see how it goes and if it all fails I'll have to get the courage and muscles together to pull it

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I had a tiel and came home one day to a blood bath, same situation as you, a blood feather. I panicked and took her to the vet because I knew nothing about what to do. They pulled it and put the cone of shame around her neck to wear for 2 days. I hope you get it pulled, I understand not wanting to do it. Keep us posted.

OP
K

KentNick

Oct 3, 2014
I've applied cornstarch on it tonight, it's still bleeding but slowed down. I called my vet and they said to call in the morning if it's still bleeding and not to attempt to pull it out as I could make it worse. It's his bed time now so I've covered him over for the night so hopefully he won't knock it and make it worse. I'll keep you updated

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm glad you called the vet, Nick! Have a good night, and here's to hoping that when you wake up, everything is all right with your Ollie!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Any update?

Most Reactions