tail looks weird. *picture*

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
crowley's tail feathers look kind of funny. i'm going to post a picture and hope someone can tell me if something's wrong...

34flmba.jpg

10hna5d.jpg

if anyone has any insight on this, i'd greatly appreciate it! :)

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
Over preened it? Looks like they been chewed at a little.

But on a different note, I Love the colour of the tail feathers, very pretty!

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
he was in a cage with another gcc and then that one was bought before he was so i'm thinking maybe he got stressed when his friend was bought? or possibly his friend preened his feathers? i don't know. they don't seem to have gotten any worse. should i just keep watching them?

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots

Keep an eye to ensure she is not over preening herself, she may need some distractions if she is. Hopefully it's not too much to worry about. Give her a warm shower/ misting might help pretty them up over time! As long as she isn't pulling feathers out or going bald in places it isn't a concern! x

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
It also looks a little dry, like it is not getting the oil from he preening gland. I'ts kind of hard to tell in pics. I may be wrong. You should be able to tell if it is dry or not. If you think it is dry and if you rarely see him preen, make sure he is getting bathed or sprayed with water daily which will encourage preening. Regardless, he should be seeing a bath several times a week, at least. What size cage is he in? I know when I put my birds in the smaller cage to take them outside that their tail gets a little messed up from the cage bars. In their primary cage, which is much bigger, it rarely ever has that problem.

Last edited:

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
Did you get him at a petstore? Some of the conures I have seen at the local petstores have similar looking tails from biting their own or other birds tails from boredom.

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
i've offered him a warm bath two or three times now and he just drinks out of it, won't hop in. :/ and i feel like when i tried misting him it scared the crap out of him so i don't know what to do!

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Did you get him at a petstore? Some of the conures I have seen at the local petstores have similar looking tails from biting their own or other birds tails from boredom.

yes he's from a petstore and that's sort of what i was thinking. he was housed with one other green cheek and they only had one or two toys so i was thinking they started messing with eachother.

evesta

Mar 22, 2012
Nebraska
Parrots
House and Wilson-Lineolated Parakeet Brothers
Yep, I bet all he needs is lots of toys, good food and love:) There is a little guy down at the local petshop that has zero toys and you should see what his tail looks like:( If only my hubby would let me save him!

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
i've offered him a warm bath two or three times now and he just drinks out of it, won't hop in. :/ and i feel like when i tried misting him it scared the crap out of him so i don't know what to do!

I know how you feel. Molly really hates being misted. If I draw about 1-1/2" of water in the sink and then run a small trickle Molly will then become interested. I then will use my hand to splash the water around and Molly comes running down my arm into the water. She will stay attached to my fingers so I have to keep my hand under the water but she will then dunk her head under and splash around and get under the faucet like a waterfall. Cutest thing ever! As for Cody, he takes prompting. I can gently spray him or if I take him outside in the travel cage, into the sunshine, he will then splash around in a water dish! It's weird, Cody will only bathe in a white water dish. It took me four different colors before I could get him to bathe on his own. Trial & error.......... Good Luck!

amysaviary

Dec 16, 2011
Chambersburg PA
Parrots
African Grey-Kenya
Blue and Gold- Baby
Jenday Conure- Izzy
Hahns Macaw- Derby
Cockatiel- Lemon
Senegal-Dylan

I breed, Sun, Green Cheek, Black Capped and Crimson Bellied Conures. Also IRN's
Also if the cage is to small for him he will mess the tail up hitting the bars. What size cage do u have him in? Also look to see if you have a perch to close to the side that when he sits on it he is rubbing his tail on the bars. The pet store might have had him in a cage that was to small or a perch to close to the side also. They r just things to look for. Also young GCC and other young conures will bet their tails up pretty bad before they learn how not to. As they get older they r more careful and don't mess them up so bad.

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots

When in doubt, just get a warm moise clothe and wipe her down, at least she gets the moisture without being sprayed or splashed, it's what I did with damien on his pin feathers (the few he had on the top of his head)

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
AHHHH I almost forgot one last technique. Fill a glass near the top with luke warm water. Perch your bird on your finger and you can gently dip his tail in the glass without him really paying attention. I do this quite a bit when mine happen to get poop on their tail feathers and they wont have a bath for a while.

OP
taylor_

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
so i found out his hatch day! march 21st, 2012! he's such a baby!<3

Most Reactions