Taking Archie to Vet...For No Reason

Jazzop

Aug 25, 2015
Parrots
Double Yellow Amazon
Well, it might just be one factor, but they’re too sharp.

I’m not dancing the Mambo when he’s perched on me.

Ultimately, it's up to you-- just like clipping wings. In 20 years of owning my DYH, I've never trimmed his claws. He has a couple of abrasive perches that seem to keep things in check, although the tips are sharp and can pierce the skin if he chooses to clamp down (similar to a cat).

If your bird is comfortable enough to participate, try this little experiment: Get the bird on your arm, but not all the way on your shoulder, since they tend to be reluctant to move from that spot. My bird prefers to be at the highest point, so if I lower my arm, he will climb toward my shoulder; if I raise my arm, he will climb toward my hand. If your bird behaves similarly, gradually raise and lower your arm in a slow-motion jumping-jack maneuver so that the bird walks distally (toward your hand) and medially (toward your body). Notice the relative grip of the bird's talons as it moves up and down your arm. I'll bet the bird grips more tightly the farther out he is from your body, because it's harder to hold a stiff arm out, and the bird can sense small fluctuations in your muscles as you suspend his weight at the end of a long moment arm. This has nothing to do with dancing a mambo.

OP
Ira7

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
Well, it might just be one factor, but they’re too sharp.

I’m not dancing the Mambo when he’s perched on me.

Ultimately, it's up to you-- just like clipping wings. In 20 years of owning my DYH, I've never trimmed his claws. He has a couple of abrasive perches that seem to keep things in check, although the tips are sharp and can pierce the skin if he chooses to clamp down (similar to a cat).

If your bird is comfortable enough to participate, try this little experiment: Get the bird on your arm, but not all the way on your shoulder, since they tend to be reluctant to move from that spot. My bird prefers to be at the highest point, so if I lower my arm, he will climb toward my shoulder; if I raise my arm, he will climb toward my hand. If your bird behaves similarly, gradually raise and lower your arm in a slow-motion jumping-jack maneuver so that the bird walks distally (toward your hand) and medially (toward your body). Notice the relative grip of the bird's talons as it moves up and down your arm. I'll bet the bird grips more tightly the farther out he is from your body, because it's harder to hold a stiff arm out, and the bird can sense small fluctuations in your muscles as you suspend his weight at the end of a long moment arm. This has nothing to do with dancing a mambo.

His nails don’t really bother me lately, it was more my wife. So I’m not discounting what you’re saying! But without those nail-trimming perches, many birds certainly need that clipping from time to time. Not ALL, because my gray didn’t, but I’m no expert on his current length so I’ll have the CAV tell me. I need his wings clipped anyway.

In general, he’s incredibly relaxed and confident when perching anywhere on my body. I’m always aware that what might be a slow movement for me could be a 10 on the Richter Scale for him.

And while we’re on the subject, my grey and cockatiel used to BITE their nails, and Archie doesn’t. Could this be a grooming behavior more prevalent in some individuals than others?

Last edited:
OP
Ira7

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
This scale is a piece of s*it.

It just read 73.0.