Taking Birds for 'walks'?

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
a lot of birds like it outside. once it gets warmer i want to take cooper outside. i would get a harness though because even a clipped bird can glide up and get lost if there is a good wind. good luck

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi loves coming outside during the summer (under constant supervision, of course), but we rarely take him out of the backyard. Occasionally, my hubby will come out with him and walk a short way down the road to meet me when I'm walking home from work, but he's still pretty timid about that. Too many frightening things in the outside world when he has no protection. What he does love is car rides. I drape a "poop towel" over the seat, and just set him on the back and take him for a little drive. He gets so happy and excited, and I think he feels safer inside the car than on a shoulder or hand. One thing you do need to realize is clipped birds CAN fly short distances if they want. You barely know your bird at this point, and if he is ever attempting to fly inside, he can and will outside (which is VERY dangerous). We have had Kiwi for 5 years, he has been kept clipped and he was never taught to fly ( and has never once attempted to, he probably doesn't know what his wings do lol). That's why we feel comfortable bringing him outside. For birds who do know what their wings do, they make special bird harnesses you can connect to a leash for safety. Now would be a good time to teach your bird to get in the harness, and then you wouldn't have any worries taking him outside regardless if he stays clipped or is eventually flighted.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
When we fist got Bosley home from the adoption/rescue he had his wings freshly clipped the day before. He showed me within the first week that he could easily fly 20 feet. He doesn't fly often, but he has flown up to 40 feet and can get some lift.

I won't risk taking him outside without some restraint. I just got the aviator harness, getting it on him will be the challenge I'm sure. If that doesn't work, I'm dragging his cage out on the deck. We did that at then end of last summer before it turned cold and he loved it!!

Tswift

Feb 3, 2011
Parrots
2 Caique Sisters- Ava and Sheik
My two caiques go on a walk at least once a week in a near-by park as long as the weather is alright. They are flighted, so they wear aviator harnesses, but you should have them harnessed even if they are clipped (especially if they are new to outside noises).

My birds benefit a lot from going outside all the time. They see strangers out on the park and have no problem stepping up on them and socializing. They also get natural sunlight and get used to all the noises of outside (cars, horns, trains, people, hawks). They have been going outside since they were 6 months old and they are now 2 years old, so going outside is no longer a big deal to them and they get excited every time.

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
I did take him outside, and we have him clipped, so OZ cannot fly.
PLEASE don't believe this to be true!! Years ago, I had a cockatiel whose wings were clipped and kept short, he'd NEVER shown that he was able to fly inside despite having freedom to do so, and had been outside several times... one day something scared him and he flapped hard enough to get air and made it to the fence where he landed. He was sitting quietly as I approached him and was JUST climbing back onto my hand when my neighbour (who is VERY loud) yelled over, "What's going on?" My bird panicked and off he went...and we never saw him again.
Now, with my GCC, I use a harness and leash. I'll NEVER make that mistake again.:(

ziggybird

Jan 21, 2013
Los Angeles
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Tukki),
Meyer's Parrot (Brooklyn),
Double Yellow Headed Amazon (Ziggy),
Blue and Gold Macaw (Max)
The past few days in LA have been BEAUTIFUL. I don't have a harness, but I have a little carrying cage, so I popped Tukki in there and we took a stole around the block. She was scared at first, but I think she really liked it after a bit! Especially when we saw some other birds in the trees :). Might have to start doing that more often, and once she trust me a bit more, might look into a harness.

Got a few weird looks from people in the neighborhood though lol. But whatever, it's LA! If the weirdest thing these people see all day is a girl and her bird, then that is obviously the first time they left their house that day!

newclassic

Feb 17, 2013
California
Parrots
1 lovebird (April 1997), 1 cockatiel (adopted in '97 at ~2 yrs)
I've always wondered about taking large parrots on hikes. I was hiking the other day in a nearby open space, and I saw an older couple with a macaw perched happily on each (the birds were 'laughing', it was so cute :)). Would the constant up-and-down motion from walking (esp. hiking on uneven terrain) be annoying for them? Would it be safe for them to perch and play in a few low-hanging trees, or would the risk of disease be too great?

I did take him outside, and we have him clipped, so OZ cannot fly.
PLEASE don't believe this to be true!!(

I'm so sorry for your loss :(. I definitely second this--that's actually how I got my birds to begin with, because a lovebird from few neighborhoods over was spooked and eventually landed in my mom's hair! The owner thought his bird couldn't fly because its wings were clipped, and sadly we saw "lost bird" signs from him a while later--I guess he never learnt his lesson. He was lost for good that time.

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
OZ can't fly at all with his wings being clipped, but just to be on the safe side, ya' know? I took him outside today, he didn't fly once. :D

Two things come to mind. First, if his wings are too drastically clipped then his personal safety is at risk if he falls from even a moderately high place he can break a bone in that fall. Clipping should allow the bird to fall "gracefully", not like a stone.

Second, test your theory in a safe place. Over your bed, over the carpet, some place where Oz will be protected from a harsh impact. Then gently toss him to your wife across the area and see how he fares. We do this with my Hahns to give him good exercise, but I also know his capabilities in the flight department.

danyell348

Feb 24, 2013
San Diego
Parrots
proud mommy of a cockatiel & yellow sided green cheek conure :)
i take my tiel & dog for a walk at the same time. she is usually very good but she flew off my shoulder once when she got spooked, and at the time her wings were grown out about 1/2 way. very irresponsible on my part and a very scary learning experience. now i make sure her wings are clipped.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Would the constant up-and-down motion from walking (esp. hiking on uneven terrain) be annoying for them? Would it be safe for them to perch and play in a few low-hanging trees, or would the risk of disease be too great?
I think our motion would effect birds differently. Some birds would probably love hiking. With Rosie if I have her out for a very long time her bad leg gets sore. She has to concentrate harder to stay balanced on my hand and even when i'm walking normal on occasion she will slip forward and do a face plant into my chest. For birds like Rosie I don't think hiking would be a good idea, but I bet other birds would love it.

I wouldn't risk letting birds hang out in trees. Wild birds will of landed there, and hawks(especially ambush hawks like coopers & goshawks) won't pass up an easy target.

terry52449

Feb 11, 2012
Media
The Villages, Fl
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo: Cameo
I recommend using a flight harness if you go anywhere with your bird.Once your bird realizes the harness means going bye bye they will more willing to use the harness. My U2 was very timid with the harness for quite a while. But she finally cooperated and we really took advantage of it. Went to the bank drive thru where she was really pampered and given treats. Walked the neighborhood and met many people and she seemed to really enjoy the attention. I think the hi-lite of her day was when I took off the harness I let her play with it. She knows it won`t hurt her and she will go get treats when it goes on. I can only imagine what she is thinking but I don`t have a problem getting it on her now.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Most of the main answers have already been offered here, but speaking for my own birds, they LOVE going for walks. I have used a carrier (like a cage strapped on the front of me) and taken my birds for walks with the dogs, even hiking in a state park. As soon as the carrier comes out, it's like "woo hoo, get me in there and get the party started".
But i am also thinking of getting an aviator harness. Gilbert isn't crazy about his flightsuit and i tried that as option number 2. Option 3 is going to be the harness! Right now he is clipped but i still keep him somehow safely confined (either cage or harness of some type) because too many weird stories of birds flying into danger, even clipped.
But i'm all for letting them get out and see the world and really live to the fullest!!

Most Reactions