Taking Meyer's to college?

alyssaaa

May 29, 2015
Southern California for now
Parrots
Jasmine, Meyer's parrot
Hello everyone! I've been browsing this forum for a while and have finally decided to register, share my story and ask a few questions. I apologize if this post turns out terribly long, but I feel the whole story is important. My dad has a little Meyer's parrot names Jasmine whom he bought from a breeder when she was a baby. She is about 14 now, I think. She used to have a nice sized cage with a jungle gym on top, though she was rarely allowed time outside the cage, maybe once every few months and only for 15-20 minutes at a time. Very sad. I never lived with my dad, and up until 4 years ago the only person Jasmine would allow to get near her was my dad. My step mother is the one who changes out her food, water, and poop catch tray once a week, but to this day Jasmine screams and lunges at her whenever she even walks by the cage. She's lost quite a few chunks out of fingers and hands while attempting to care for Jasmine, she's never been able to hold her, and honestly, she hates the bird. Jasmine used to let me hold her quietly for a few minutes before biting the finger she was standing on, but never a full-on attack like she does with my step mom (I really don't blame her, I'd bite her too if I thought I could get away with it.) Then 4 years ago they asked me to bird-sit for them while they went on vacation, and with lots of patience and affection from both of us, Jasmine and I formed a very strong bond. She was out of her cage and with me nearly 24/7, we shared meals and drinks, she let me hold her on her back and tickle her tummy and under her wings, she regurgitated for me and made big kissy noises whenever I walked into the room, it was wonderful and she hasn't attempted to bite me once since then. I wish I could've kept her, but my mom wouldn't allow it as I lived with her at the time. When I had to give her back to my dad, she stopped being affectionate with him and became even worse with my step-mom. It broke my heart, because I knew the aggression was brought on from just being lonely and bored of being stuck in her cage with zero attention, but there was nothing I could do about it aside from taking her for the day and getting her wings and nails trimmed, which I did regularly. Last year they sold their house and decided to live full-time in their RV travelling the country, and Jasmine was downgraded to a much smaller travel-sized cage, probably 1/3 of the size of her previous one with just 2 rope perches and one hanging toy. Even if we went a year or longer without seeing each other, when I came into the RV she would go nuts, running back and forth along the ropes and making kissy noises, regurgitating like crazy, and I would take her out and snuggle her for the whole visit. Fast forward to now. I've been accepted into Kansas State University's pre-veterinary program, and will be living in the dorms starting in August. Yay! I'm having a very hard time accepting the fact that I won't have an animal there to greet me when I come home, as I've never been without a pet to care for and love and am leaving behind 2 dogs, 2 horses, and 4 goats, all of whom I consider my children and aside from the horses, all of whom spend time INside my house. My dad suggested that I take Jasmine with me, since the dorms do allow pets, though they specify birds such as Budgies, Cockatiels, Finches, and Lorikeets. There is a form to get approval for a non-approved breed, and I would imagine that they wouldn't have too much of a problem with a Meyer's since she smaller than a Lorikeet, much less messy, and not terribly loud. My mother, however, thinks that the bird will be a distraction to me during my first year of college. I am 22, have juggled multiple vet tech jobs at once for the past 3 years, pay my bills on time, still manage to make sure all my animals get the best care, food, veterinary treatment, all my attention, AND I've successfully maintained a needy boyfriend on top of it all, haha. My animals are my life, my reason for getting out of bed every day. My questions are, how suitable to a dorm room do you think a Meyer's would be, how should I go about convincing my mom and the housing administration to let me bring her, or is it not in either of our best interests? Jasmine makes kissy noises, a few different whistles, microwave beeps, little clicky sounds, a soft laugh, growls like a dog, and when she's mad she will rarely do a shrill but short screech. I will be in a private room, no roommate, so will just have to worry about neighbors. The dorms are cinderblock, I don't know if her screech can even penetrate cinderblock. When I visited my dad at his RV on Memorial Day, I noticed that Jasmine seems to have lost a little condition, doesn't look as full or shiny as she did before. Her food bowl looked nasty, mostly just slimy seed shells, and there was poop in her water. My step mom kind of just shrugged when I mentioned it as I was snuggling Jasmine. I worry for her health if she stays with them. I would be able to get a larger cage for her if I brought her to school, she will get to be out of her cage with me every day, fresh food and water daily, cage cleaned daily. I think she would be much happier, but would appreciate any advice and suggestions anyone may have!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello and Welcome to the forum, Alyssa! Glad you joined us!

Congratulations on your acceptance to Kansas State University!

It sounds like you've already been a wonderful friend to Jasmine. If the dorm allows you to have her in your room, I think you can make it work. It sounds like a much better situation for Jasmine and I'm sure you would enjoy her company.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
I agree with Allee! Best of luck and please let us know what happens:)

OP
A

alyssaaa

May 29, 2015
Parrots
Jasmine, Meyer's parrot
Thank you both for your replies! I really hope I am able to take her, I get the feeling that both my dad and step-mom are ready for her to not be taking up space in their RV, and she really is a sweet bird (with me, anyway). Do you have any recommendations for food? Right now she gets some sort of small seed mix, not sure which brand, but I've read that this isn't the best diet. I am concerned about her slight weight loss and lack of luster. I'll be working part-time while in school, won't have many other expenses, and would like to have her on a top-quality food. Also, any good points I should bring up to my mother to get her on board? I've read plenty of articles on how dogs increase a person's quality of life, but I'd love to shove one in her face about how birds make people live longer and keep depression and loneliness at bay, haha!

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
I would do it. I can't imagine leaving my bird behind, and you are lucky to have a school that allows birds. As long as you balance your time between your bird and your studies, it'll work. Congratulations and best of luck!

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
There's a lot of mind reading going on lol. If the form let's you have her take her. She will be far better off with you. Even if her cage has to be smaller than you would like it won't matter as much because you will let her out a lot I'm sure.

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Alyssaaa, you are very welcome. I am not sure I have any articles to show you about birds improving peoples quality of life and alleviating loneliness. But I can guarantee you every single person on this forum will agree that a bird can definitely alleviate loneliness and be a fantastic companion. Perhaps you can tell your mom that since you're going to be rooming alone in college you feel that having this bird as your companion will go a long way to help your transition into college life. As for food, you're right a seed-based diet is definitely not the way to go as it can shorten your parrot's life in the long run. changing his diet over should be something that you aim to do. Basically the more fresh greens the better. Also some fruits and pellets.

Last edited:

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Explain to your mom she will actually be an incentive to be in your room studying as you know she needs attention. If you are used to responsibility and animal care in your every day life it will keep your routine closer.

As for food, high quality pellets and bring a little container to meals with you. Most schools have great dining halls and you should be able to find veggies (no seasoning) and fruit as well as pasta and brown rice. You'll probably have a microwave to make sweet potato for her. It'll be easy!

OP
A

alyssaaa

May 29, 2015
Parrots
Jasmine, Meyer's parrot
I made my mom read all of your comments and badgered her for about an hour, she finally rolled her eyes and said WHATEVER ALYSSA YOU'LL DO WHAT YOU WANT ANYWAY. Ha! Victory for now, I think! Since it's really up to my dad whether or not he'll just leave the bird with me when he drops me off at school, it might be a go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you all for your comments! Now, to get school on board. In the dorm handbook, under the pets section it states that "Any pet not mentioned above is considered prohibited and will not be allowed in the residence halls, with the exception of assistance animals approved through the Student Access Center" and "Other pets may be added to the approved list at the concurrence of K-State ARH and Housing and Dining Services." I think I'll need to email the housing department and present my case as to why Meyers aren't any worse than a cockatiel or lorikeet. Especially lorikeets, I was shocked when I read that they accept them, I had assumed that they would not be amenable to the liquid poops and nectar flinging that I've watched the babies do at Omar's Exotic Birds store. Yuck. They sure are gorgeous birds though. The dorms do have awesome dining centers, I paid for a 10 meal per week plan and they offer to-go boxes so I figured I'll share the veggies and fruit and anything else that would be good for her.
As far as commercial food goes, I've researched and I think TOPs is my first choice, if I can afford the price of product and shipping. What is your opinion on this brand, and how long do you think it will take a Meyers to go through a 10lb bag of pellets? I figure the best way to transition her to pellets would be slowly mixing them with her old food in increasing amounts, is this the correct way to go about it? Would it be bad to offer TOPs seed mix once she decided she likes the pellets too, or eliminate seeds completely and stick solely with pellets, greens, fruits, veggies, pasta, rice, sweet potato? Thank you again everyone, I love this forum already!

Most Reactions

Latest posts