Talk Birdy To Me

Schooner

May 28, 2014
Nova Scotia
Hello people of the parrot forum! Newbie from Nova Scotia here. The land spring forgot!.. Really, it's like 7C here right now, and it's almost June! Whats up with that?? Ugh.

Anyway, I've been a lurker on this forum for a very long time now. It occurred to me just now I should probably sign up and introduce myself instead of being such a creeper!
I don't have any birds at the moment. Though in the past I've owned budgies and finches. Always been a fan of the larger birdies though. Right now I get my parrot fix by going to the pet store. There's a beautiful BFA I've made friends with. I had never approached him before because quite frankly, I've always found amazons a little intimidating. I walked up to him one day though and he greeted me with a friendly, "hi!", and bowed his head against the cage bars. I figured ehhh, why not! Having all your fingers is probably over rated anyway! So I stuck a finger in to pet him... He won me over when he twisted back on his perch and closed his eyes once I started scratching the good spot.. and he licked me! So cute! If I was an impulse buyer (and had a few grand to throw around) he probably would of come home with me that day!.. Only thing that came home with me were some cat treats. Since I don't want to be known as that one weird lady who just comes in to chat with the birds lol..
Anyway, after doing some research (on this forum yayy) I'm not all that sure an amazon would be the right parrot for me. As great as my BFA friend is!
Though I haven't met any in person, I'm really partial to Eclectus and Pionus (especially bronze wings. Love those colours). So if you're an owner of either of those type of parrots, I've love to see your pics of them!

Another perk of registering instead of just lurking! I can now comment on all the cute pictures you guys post! Though I probably won't be contributing any of my own for a while lol. I don't want to rush into ownership for a while.

Nice to meet you all!

P.S Love these cute birdy emotes :green:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi, welcome! Glad you finally came out and joined us :D

Since you mentioned Pionus, I have a Bronze Winged Pionus named Raven. He's a little cutie, but he has some ATTITUDE!! Bronze Winged are my favorite anyway! I used to have a female BW before I had Raven, and she was much sweeter and MUCH easier going than Raven (as female Pi's typically are).

After my first one passed, I normally wouldn't get the 'same' exact species again, but I just couldn't live without a BW Pi so I got Raven. Though they were never common, this time around a Bronze Winged was so hard to find here, I searched for one for literally about a year, then I turned up a reputable breeder across the country from me. I'd never compare birds, but goes to show how individuals differ, the two I had (have) show completely different personality traits.

Pi's in general are pretty "low maintenance" and independent by nature. Pretty quiet too. Some like a little petting, but many are mainly hands off. Just like Amazons are. They're said to be closely related species, and the males can be tougher to deal with hormonal aggression wise (like many male Amazons).

Here are links to some recent pics of Raven and his 'roommates', in case you haven't seen them yet ;)

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/44857-special-pics-my-boys.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/44880-more-pics-boys-4pics.html

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Hi and welcome!
I don't have an amazon but I do have a Pi.. Though he isn't the BW like Raven's, he's a white cap. :)
I've read that white caps are the smallest of the Pionus species, somewhat more common than the bronze wing. Though for whatever reason they have a reputation for being feisty, I've seen the phrase 'anything but a white cap' so many times I feel like I've found the golden ticket with my well behaved boy. :O

Though mine isn't a 'normal' pionus according to a few other pi owners. He is very quiet, calm, doesn't talk or yell, and will step up and take scratches from anyone.
He loves being scratched on the head or nape and will let us touch him all over. (Over and under wings, chest, feet, etc). So every bird is unique! Some hate hands, others love them.

Here's the only post I have with pictures of him that isn't in the 'pionus' section :
http://www.parrotforums.com/off-topic/44898-pascal-met-my-little-sister-today-pics.html

I have a couple other threads, once which has a short video of him in the 'pionus' section. You can browse and find them(or search 'Pascal' his name) if you like. :)

All in all I love him to bits. He is very easy going, probably my most relaxed bird I have. (Granted my other two are conures so it's not hard to be more calm than a conure in the first place..)

Anyway.. Glad you joined. I totally love your sense of humor by the way. 'Talk birdy to me' hehe :D

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome to the forum! Glad you've decided to introduce yourself and were brave enough to pet the zon in the petshop. He probably enjoyed that attention:). I don't know much about eclectus or pionus, but I do have a BFA myself and grew up with a DYH and GCA (also a devilish goffin cockatoo). Amazons are great birds, certainly not for everyone, but I am quite partial to their independence and 'feistiness'. Keep in mind that sometimes, the bird you never knew you wanted chooses you;). So, you may not want to be so quick to write your new little buddy off. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be and you are absolutely doing the *right thing* learning about different species and doing your due research FIRST. If this guy is the guy for you, he will still be there and you just won't be able to get him out of your head (or perhaps another bird of another species will be that one). Of course, every single parrot is an individual, and while there are 'typical' species traits, not every individual exhibits them. Naturally, do your research and be sure to make repeated visits with any potential bird to be 100% sure they are 'the one' since they will be with you the rest of your life, and will likely have to be in your will. Large parrots are literally a lifelong commitment, and even smaller ones can live 20/30 years with proper care.

My hubby and I did do a little research into eclectus and seriously considered buying one from a breeder. From what I remember, males tend to be more gentle, females have a higher potential for egg-related issues than other species, they have some dietary restrictions other species do not and they have those stunning fur-like feathers:32:. A lot of ekkie owners on here, so I'm sure they can tell you more:) After researching it more, we felt more comfortable adopting a bird than buying a baby, but a male eclectus was actually on our short list of potential birds if one were to have come up for adoption along with amazons or a military macaw. But you know that whole 'meant to be thing', I never thought much about blue fronts (had not heard great things), but from the first photo I saw of Kiwi, I just knew he was coming home with us (and he did, the very next day):). As an individual he is the 'perfect' bird for us, though IF we ever decided to get a second bird, I would not specifically seek out another blue front, or any specific species for that matter.

And just a *personal* opinion, but when looking for a bird, I think it helps to know what species you just aren't interested in owning, and then leave the door open for all the others. There are *so* many types of parrots out there. There are even ones occasionally on here I've never even heard of, but someone has them and they are a wonderful companion. Best of luck and be sure if you have questions to search the forum or start a thread. Theres a wealth of knowledge on here. Hope to see you around!:green:

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome!
I am in Alberta, and it is 7C here today as well, I feel your pain!
I have a Blue headed Pionus and an Eclectus. They are so different from each other, but wonderful in their own way. My Pi is very loud, he has a very loud screech and can do it for an hour at a time, but does not do it every day anymore, thank goodness.. He is however a total sweetheart, and loves to cuddle while sitting on our shoulder. He is also very independent and can play for hours by himself on his stand. He does speak and is picking up new things all the time. A few things are clear, an most are a little garbled and sound robotic (which is so cute!) I can't imagine not having him, he is just a fantastic bird. His diet is a seed/pellet mix and fresh fruits and veggies twice daily, as well as birdie bread once a week.

My Ekkie can also be loud. His screech can almost shake the room, but he does not do it very often at all. We have had him since Dec. and he has only screamed like that maybe 10 times. He is not a cuddler. He likes to sit on our shoulder, or just be held, but does not like petting or even scritches. His vocabulary is amazing, and he is constantly picking up things and using them in a situational way. He can also amuse himself, but for far shorter periods of time. He demands more attention than any other bird we have.
His diet is quite specific, I do 3 feeds a day for him with fresh fruits and veggies, and he also loves birdie bread. He just gobbles up whatever I put in front of him. For his overnight food, he gets a small dish with a little cockatiel seed and Roudybush pellets (again, a tablespoon or so).
He is very messy, and cleans his beak on everything, and what he doesn't wipe off he shakes off onto the wall...lol. I also cannot imagine life without him:)

I think it is fantastic that you are doing research on what kind of bird to get that would fit you and your home:) I can't wait to hear what you decide!

Here is my last thread about Ekko, my ekkie:

http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/44865-ekko-his-binky.html

And here is a quick video of Talli, my Pi:)
http://www.parrotforums.com/pionus/44777-talli-learns-peek-boo.html

OP
S

Schooner

May 28, 2014
Nova Scotia
Hi, welcome! Glad you finally came out and joined us :D

Since you mentioned Pionus, I have a Bronze Winged Pionus named Raven. He's a little cutie, but he has some ATTITUDE!! Bronze Winged are my favorite anyway! I used to have a female BW before I had Raven, and she was much sweeter and MUCH easier going than Raven (as female Pi's typically are).

After my first one passed, I normally wouldn't get the 'same' exact species again, but I just couldn't live without a BW Pi so I got Raven. Though they were never common, this time around a Bronze Winged was so hard to find here, I searched for one for literally about a year, then I turned up a reputable breeder across the country from me. I'd never compare birds, but goes to show how individuals differ, the two I had (have) show completely different personality traits.

Pi's in general are pretty "low maintenance" and independent by nature. Pretty quiet too. Some like a little petting, but many are mainly hands off. Just like Amazons are. They're said to be closely related species, and the males can be tougher to deal with hormonal aggression wise (like many male Amazons).

Here are links to some recent pics of Raven and his 'roommates', in case you haven't seen them yet ;)

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/44857-special-pics-my-boys.html

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/44880-more-pics-boys-4pics.html
I've totally checked out Raven before! He's gorgeous! I absolutely love that pic of him with the hat! He's so cute! XD
That's one of the things that attracted me to Pi's. How people say they're kinda like smaller, more laid back amazons. I really wish I knew someone around here that owns one. I'd love a little first hand experience. I've checked, there's no breeders, and unfortunately no parrot specific rescues either! The price of living in a small province I suppose. :(
You said you got Raven from a breeder across the country. You had him shipped to you?? I know there's Pi breeders in other provinces. It seems if I ever decide on ownership of one, that's what I'll have to do. Though it does make me a bit wary.
You can be sure I'll go into detective mode with my research before ever committing lol.

OP
S

Schooner

May 28, 2014
Nova Scotia
Hi and welcome!
I don't have an amazon but I do have a Pi.. Though he isn't the BW like Raven's, he's a white cap. :)
I've read that white caps are the smallest of the Pionus species, somewhat more common than the bronze wing. Though for whatever reason they have a reputation for being feisty, I've seen the phrase 'anything but a white cap' so many times I feel like I've found the golden ticket with my well behaved boy. :O

Though mine isn't a 'normal' pionus according to a few other pi owners. He is very quiet, calm, doesn't talk or yell, and will step up and take scratches from anyone.
He loves being scratched on the head or nape and will let us touch him all over. (Over and under wings, chest, feet, etc). So every bird is unique! Some hate hands, others love them.

Here's the only post I have with pictures of him that isn't in the 'pionus' section :
http://www.parrotforums.com/off-topic/44898-pascal-met-my-little-sister-today-pics.html

I have a couple other threads, once which has a short video of him in the 'pionus' section. You can browse and find them(or search 'Pascal' his name) if you like. :)

All in all I love him to bits. He is very easy going, probably my most relaxed bird I have. (Granted my other two are conures so it's not hard to be more calm than a conure in the first place..)

Anyway.. Glad you joined. I totally love your sense of humor by the way. 'Talk birdy to me' hehe :D
Pascal is a very pretty bird, and he sounds like a dream! Congrats on your luck with finding him!
I've heard that same thing about whitecaps too. Though really, it doesn't turn me off of them. A little feistiness is okay with me. ;) I like all Pi's! I'm just learning towards BW because I'm a total sucker for those pretty colours. If I ever found an available whitecap though, and the time was right, I don't think I'd turn it down.
I think conures are also great though! So I also wouldn't rule them out either if I happened to meet a great little guy! XD

And thank you! Glad you like it lol.. I couldn't help myself~

OP
S

Schooner

May 28, 2014
Nova Scotia
Welcome to the forum! Glad you've decided to introduce yourself and were brave enough to pet the zon in the petshop. He probably enjoyed that attention:). I don't know much about eclectus or pionus, but I do have a BFA myself and grew up with a DYH and GCA (also a devilish goffin cockatoo). Amazons are great birds, certainly not for everyone, but I am quite partial to their independence and 'feistiness'. Keep in mind that sometimes, the bird you never knew you wanted chooses you;). So, you may not want to be so quick to write your new little buddy off. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be and you are absolutely doing the *right thing* learning about different species and doing your due research FIRST. If this guy is the guy for you, he will still be there and you just won't be able to get him out of your head (or perhaps another bird of another species will be that one). Of course, every single parrot is an individual, and while there are 'typical' species traits, not every individual exhibits them. Naturally, do your research and be sure to make repeated visits with any potential bird to be 100% sure they are 'the one' since they will be with you the rest of your life, and will likely have to be in your will. Large parrots are literally a lifelong commitment, and even smaller ones can live 20/30 years with proper care.

My hubby and I did do a little research into eclectus and seriously considered buying one from a breeder. From what I remember, males tend to be more gentle, females have a higher potential for egg-related issues than other species, they have some dietary restrictions other species do not and they have those stunning fur-like feathers:32:. A lot of ekkie owners on here, so I'm sure they can tell you more:) After researching it more, we felt more comfortable adopting a bird than buying a baby, but a male eclectus was actually on our short list of potential birds if one were to have come up for adoption along with amazons or a military macaw. But you know that whole 'meant to be thing', I never thought much about blue fronts (had not heard great things), but from the first photo I saw of Kiwi, I just knew he was coming home with us (and he did, the very next day):). As an individual he is the 'perfect' bird for us, though IF we ever decided to get a second bird, I would not specifically seek out another blue front, or any specific species for that matter.

And just a *personal* opinion, but when looking for a bird, I think it helps to know what species you just aren't interested in owning, and then leave the door open for all the others. There are *so* many types of parrots out there. There are even ones occasionally on here I've never even heard of, but someone has them and they are a wonderful companion. Best of luck and be sure if you have questions to search the forum or start a thread. Theres a wealth of knowledge on here. Hope to see you around!:green:
I'm really glad I decided to go and try and make friends with this Zon. Like you, I had heard some not so great things about them. This guy though is such a great bird! Every time I show up now, he's at the side of the cage waiting for scritches. I usually spend maybe 10-15mins with him each time. I think one time I scratched an area he wasn't so keen on, though he didn't bite me. Just gave a little bit of pressure with his beak and turned his head to the area I was supposeee to be petting lol!
I feel bad for him kinda. He's not a baby anymore, and his price has been reduced several times. Still out of the current price range of this recent college grad though lol. :( I need to make a birdy bank to start saving lol.

Your Kiwi is beautiful! In my time lurking here I've checked out your pics of him! XD I especially like your display pic! He looks like such a goof!

Yeah, I never rush into any long term decision without first weighing the pros and cons over several times. I want to be absolutely certain I'm ready before making a decision. Especially if the welfare of an animal is involved. :)

And thank you! I'll definitely be around to at the very least, comment on some cute pictures lol.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm surprised you don't have any bird rescues around! If not in your province, there must be if you go out a little farther. Though I do realize Canada is a VERY large place :).

I've had birds (as well as my mom's) shipped from across the country several times with no problem. Just as long as you know 'who' you are dealing with. Just be careful if it's classified ads on Craigslist from some backyard mom and pop. I wouldn't trust shipping in that case.

That's good that you're keeping an open mind about a species though. The the best way to get a bird is to meet it in person and have it pick you, or at least see the type of rapport you have with the individual.

When you get one shipped, you never know what you'll get in regard to personality, or if they will automatically like YOU or be the best match for YOU.
I admit I wanted Raven based on being a BW, and I picked him out of his siblings (by pictures) because of his color and gender, but I would not have picked him based on his personality. I DO love him, he's adorable, and his personality is OKAY, and he's trained pretty well now so he's a good boy most of the time, BUT his 'individual' personality is not what I had hoped for to be honest.
Don't get me wrong, he's a good bird and I love him, but you know what I'm getting at... Getting a bird (lifelong companion) shipped to you from across country is kind of like "ordering" a baby online and meeting your child for the first time after you pick it up at the airport... this is the one you get lol! That's the risk with shipping and not meeting it first.

Good luck, I'm sure there's the perfect bird for you out there just waiting to meet you in the right timing.

OP
S

Schooner

May 28, 2014
Nova Scotia
Hello and welcome!
I am in Alberta, and it is 7C here today as well, I feel your pain!
I have a Blue headed Pionus and an Eclectus. They are so different from each other, but wonderful in their own way. My Pi is very loud, he has a very loud screech and can do it for an hour at a time, but does not do it every day anymore, thank goodness.. He is however a total sweetheart, and loves to cuddle while sitting on our shoulder. He is also very independent and can play for hours by himself on his stand. He does speak and is picking up new things all the time. A few things are clear, an most are a little garbled and sound robotic (which is so cute!) I can't imagine not having him, he is just a fantastic bird. His diet is a seed/pellet mix and fresh fruits and veggies twice daily, as well as birdie bread once a week.

My Ekkie can also be loud. His screech can almost shake the room, but he does not do it very often at all. We have had him since Dec. and he has only screamed like that maybe 10 times. He is not a cuddler. He likes to sit on our shoulder, or just be held, but does not like petting or even scritches. His vocabulary is amazing, and he is constantly picking up things and using them in a situational way. He can also amuse himself, but for far shorter periods of time. He demands more attention than any other bird we have.
His diet is quite specific, I do 3 feeds a day for him with fresh fruits and veggies, and he also loves birdie bread. He just gobbles up whatever I put in front of him. For his overnight food, he gets a small dish with a little cockatiel seed and Roudybush pellets (again, a tablespoon or so).
He is very messy, and cleans his beak on everything, and what he doesn't wipe off he shakes off onto the wall...lol. I also cannot imagine life without him:)

I think it is fantastic that you are doing research on what kind of bird to get that would fit you and your home:) I can't wait to hear what you decide!

Here is my last thread about Ekko, my ekkie:

http://www.parrotforums.com/eclectus/44865-ekko-his-binky.html

And here is a quick video of Talli, my Pi:)
http://www.parrotforums.com/pionus/44777-talli-learns-peek-boo.html
I'm glad I have someone to share the with! XD I have an uncle in from Alberta right now. When he left home it was 28C. When he got here it was 1C .. I had little sympathy. ;)

In my time lurking on here, I have checked out both your Talli and your Ekko! (See this is why I had to stop being a creeper lol) I think they're both gorgeous, and that you're so lucky to have them! I especially like that video of Talli. When he beaks the camera. So cute lol! Blue heads are my second favourite Pi's after Bronze Wings. :)

Thanks for the info on their feeding! I'm sure that whatever bird I decide on in the future, I'll have lot's of questions from owners on feeding schedules and whatnot lol.
Are there many parrot breeders in Alberta?? If I have to have a bird shipped to me eventually, I'd love it if I could have some of my family check out the breeder for me first! We only have a few small bird breeders here on the east coast. ;c

Thanks for your welcome!

Most Reactions