KBlunt

Nov 10, 2011
Nevada
Parrots
Ms "B"15yr old rescue umbrella cockatoo
"Charlie" the Rockstar goffin cockatoo
"Waldo" the winged pitbull 8yr old Congo African Grey foster
HI everyone
My name is Kyle and yrs ago my wife wanted a B&G so being the loving husband I am, She got one. Well 10 or so years ago we hit hard times and the laws being the way they were we couldn't trade the kids for food, we rehomed my wife's baby. ( humor intended)
Flash forward life is good the 4 oldest kids are out on their own and my job is stable and my stay at home domestic goddess says she misses her Merlin so the search began rescue after rescue with the same thing you live outta state srry we don't adopt out of state. UGH well we talked about it and adopting and older bird was still what we wanted. Not being youngish anymore we couldn't see getting a baby and in 40 yrs(optimistic ) have our kids try to rehome our new Merlin. Well I hit that magical world of scams we call Craigslist and put up an add. My first response was a member of a local club ( 4.5 hrs away) that also does rescues. Well no B&Gs on scamlist but Tag and a UC caught my eye so with stars in my wife's eyes I made that call about the Too. The lady sounded great so I set up a meeting to drive 4hrs and check out the bird. Since I was gonna be close I called the president of the Rescue and she didn't have a problem with us living so far away and would love to meet with us. 2 days later my wife picked me up after a LONG 15hr shift and we hit the rd well I call the rescue to talk birds and tell them we are on our way and after a big city dinner we would be over. 10 minutes from my wife's new baby I call the lady with the Too and the scamming begins price hikes,then I can't be there and all kinds of drama. Well I tell my wife and the look was heart breaking. Suddenly I get a call and thinking its this lady calling back I get a ready to let her have it, nope is the rescue calling to see if everything.is OK so I explain and she tells me about a call she just received from an elderly lady who can no longer care for her UC and since their fosters were loaded she would give me a referral. Well I load the address in the navigation and we are 6 miles away. Long story short my wife fell head over heals for Ms B the umbrella cockatoo. So after a quick bite to eat and a shopping spree at the parrot store we headed to meet and thank this great lady with the rescue. After seeing her dedication and just how many birds she was FOSTERING my now elated wife and I headed for home and on the trip decided to join the club and help anyway we could. Here it is a week later and in 2 days ill be making that 4.5hr trip to get a couple of fosters and start the insanity.
Hello my names Kyle and my wife's Too just stole my cracker.

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
Well, that was a little hard to follow, but I'm glad I made the effort-- great story. I won't try to talk you out of anything-- but of course just tread carefully and don't overwhelm yourselves. I just sent an application to a bird rescue so I'm talking to myself there, too :)

Good luck and enjoy!

melinda

Aug 10, 2011
TN
Parrots
5 year old cockatoo Chloe and 3 year old sun conure Joe Joe
Khloe 15 year old orange wing amazon
That is a great thing your family is doing. #1 adopting a bird in need. #2 fostering. please keep in mind you have your heart in the right place but please don't get more than you can handle. You guys are just now getting back into having birds. With a very needy cockatoo that is new in your home you may not have a lot of extra time until the bird is settled in. Just try not to get burned out. If all you can take in is one more bird thats great.
Thats one bird that is in a better temp. home. Don't go rushing in because you will get burned out fast. I have 3 birds of my own and foster birds often but i know i can not take in more that one big bird or two small birds. That way i can make sure it gets everything it needs. Good luck and i am glad to meet another bird foster home.

kitt

Mar 27, 2011
Michigan
Parrots
Ava(peach faced lovebird) and my very first bird
Leroy (black headed caique) my little moody bird
Dusty (hahns macaw) my clown
Wow, what a story...it sounds like Miss B was meant to be with you guys....congratulations....
I have to agree with the "don't burn yourself out"...if it were me personally, I wouldn't do anymore then three birds...a U2 can be a demanding bird to own and then add to that and you really have your hands full...
I think it is great that you are fostering....just be careful and get some sleep....a 15 hour shift and then a long drive....I am impressed...LOL

OP
K

KBlunt

Nov 10, 2011
Nevada
Parrots
Thanks everyone. We have actually talked about the overwhelming aspect. And fostering aspect so we have that plan in place 2 permanent birds and 1 Foster or 2 if its a bonded pair and fosters are just that. Get them healthy work on basic manners and find a forever home. And no bald birds cause I'm a softy LOL

OP
K

KBlunt

Nov 10, 2011
Nevada
Parrots
Insanity is an understatement. Just added a goffin cockatoo that's supposed to be a Foster but my wife is in love with this little Guy and he is a little rocker. Also fostering a pitbull with wings better known as a CAG 8 yrs old. He'll come around hopefully before I run outta bandaides

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
LoL!!!! Great thing you guys are doing!!! I would fall in love with all the foster babies and not let anyone go...lol....I could do it but my heart breaks easily....

andrea.faerie

May 16, 2011
North Carolina
Parrots
My lovely little Black Cap Conure, Lucy (in the sky with diamonds) <3
I love the story :) Especially the last line. Welcome to the forum, I know everyone here will help you with any questions and give you plenty of encouragement and any answers we can in hard times with stubborn birds :) I hope to one day be able to foster, or work at a rescue as a volunteer <3

pawsfoot

Jul 19, 2010
Media
Brooksville, FL
Parrots
1 Eclectus Parrot (Ezmerelda), 1 Patagonian Conure (Peanut)
Haha. My husband and I just joined the insanity train today. We drove 2.5 hrs to pick up a B&G Macaw foster, and I'm already in love with him. He needs a lot of work, but someone will be very happy with him hopefully soon. We already have an Eclectus that is our adoption. I wish you all the luck with your fostering as well.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I got a chuckle out of that. Good work.

Most Reactions