Talking to walls

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
And pair of African Greys
Funny thing. My 8 month old African Grey usually not very talkative, she whistles here and there but that's it. But when she is taking a walk on a floor she goes to particular spot on the wall and starts talking to that spot on "Parrotish". It happens every time she is on the floor and it is always the same spot. Any ideas why?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I reckon it's a place where the bird feels comfortable.
When out his Cage, Mishka also has a "spot" near the window, where he loves to chatting to himself.

Last edited:
OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
I reckon it's a place where the bird feels comfortable.
When out his Cage, Mishka also has a "spot" near the window, where he loves to chat to himself.

Thanks.
I am trying to talk to her as you told me, hopefully she will talk not only to that spot but to me to:)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I have a story to share about "talking in certain spots".

Several weeks ago, while doing normal, morning cage cleaning, and NOTHING was out of the ordinary that I could see, all 3 of my birds started talking as if they could see someone invisible standing in my kitchen. :eek:

My Amazons are on the kitchen counter on their table top perch while I clean, and my Mac is on his Java tree. I was on my knees, scrubbing the grates, and out of the blue they ALL started talking INTENSELY, eyes focused, even pinning. They all stared into the exact same location, so of course I got up, ran into the kitchen, to see who they were talking to.

Nobody there. :11:

Freaked me out like you wouldn't believe. :(

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels

Several weeks ago, while doing normal, morning cage cleaning, and NOTHING was out of the ordinary that I could see, all 3 of my birds started talking as if they could see someone invisible standing in my kitchen. :eek:

My Amazons are on the kitchen counter on their table top perch while I clean, and my Mac is on his Java tree. I was on my knees, scrubbing the grates, and out of the blue they ALL started talking INTENSELY, eyes focused, even pinning. They all stared into the exact same location, so of course I got up, ran into the kitchen, to see who they were talking to.

Wow, scary. Could be a good start point for horror film script:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

OMG Wendy I can relate to what you witnessed and it is very scary. I too freaked out. :eek::eek:

Watch the vid below, even Mishka's talking voice is different when he is saying mommy look here hey.... then he begins to sing
Take note of how he stares straight ahead THEN.... well check it out for yourself :eek:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAA7TrbMCMY]BEST TALKING PARROT IN THE WORLD MISHKA - Is this a bird language? - YouTube[/ame]

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
OMG Wendy I can relate to what you witnessed and it is very scary. I too freaked out. :eek::eek:

Watch the vid below, even Mishka's talking voice is different when he is saying mommy look here hey.... then he begins to sing
Take note of how he stares straight ahead THEN.... well check it out for yourself :eek:

BEST TALKING PARROT IN THE WORLD MISHKA - Is this a bird language? - YouTube

Not for nothing, Ant, but after watching the video of Mishka, I not only ended up with chills all over my body, but at the end of the video....that "third" voice....I RAN out of here. :eek:

UNBELIEVABLE! Actually - I "believe"....and Mishka only confirmed in the very best way possible. ;)

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels
I wonder who was the first man to hear a parrot mimicking human speech. I bet he was terrified and thought that there is a demon inside the parrot:)

Birdlover11

Aug 23, 2012
Long island
Parrots
Pepsi and sprite, both are American male budgies
Wendy, they probably spotted a bag of birdie treats and were trying to see which word would make the bag magically come to them lol

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I wonder who was the first man to hear a parrot mimicking human speech. I bet he was terrified and thought that there is a demon inside the parrot:)

Yup, must have been just like that. :rolleyes: The thing is, lotosha, MOST parrots merely mimick, while OTHERS speak intellectually. Mishka is one of the latter ones. ;) I'm fairly sure you've seen and heard Mishka in his videos. We ALL know he sounds identical to Ant.

Hmm....I wonder whom he was "mimicking" during the video. :confused:

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus

Yup, must have been just like that. :rolleyes: The thing is, lotosha, MOST parrots merely mimick, while OTHERS speak intellectually. Mishka is one of the latter ones. ;) I'm fairly sure you've seen and heard Mishka in his videos. We ALL know he sounds identical to Ant.

Greenie sounds just like his old owners... both of them, the first time I heard him talk in the man's voice it was creepy, bringing home a talking bird, it's kinda like moving new people in lol. Mostly he uses he wife's voice and he uses the mans voice when my daughter is crying (or Salty is squawking)and he tells them to "knock it off" :p

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels

Greenie sounds just like his old owners... both of them, the first time I heard him talk in the man's voice it was creepy, bringing home a talking bird, it's kinda like moving new people in lol. Mostly he uses he wife's voice and he uses the mans voice when my daughter is crying (or Salty is squawking)and he tells them to "knock it off" :p

My mom told me about her friend who adopted a parrot that grew up with a sailor. Needless to say that the parrot was "cursing like a sailor".

OP
lotosha

lotosha

Jun 29, 2012
Parrots
A pair of cockatiels

Yep, I am aware that most parrots do not mimic, seems like mine is one of them. The good thing she is very communicative and the way she does her communication is very funny all those eye pinning, parrotish talk, body language...you name it:)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old

BEST TALKING PARROT IN THE WORLD MISHKA - Is this a bird language? - YouTube

Not for nothing, Ant, but after watching the video of Mishka, I not only ended up with chills all over my body, but at the end of the video....that "third" voice....I RAN out of here. :eek:

UNBELIEVABLE! Actually - I "believe"....and Mishka only confirmed in the very best way possible. ;)

Now you know the actually "story" behind the video I knew you too would "believe" as well.

When I played the video recording, I ran out the apartment, thinking Mishka was obsessed...... Only later on when I calmed down, did I understand.
:eek:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts