taming your green cheek conure

zeeshan

Jan 6, 2013
Canada
Parrots
2 green cheek conures 1 hand tame 1 is not and hoping soon it will be.
Hi i am a owner of 2 green cheek conures 1 is hand tamed and the other 1 is not tamed at all. i need help in to how i can tame him because he eats out of my hand but is scared of my hand when there is no food in my hand he gets scared and runs away. i can not get him on my hand because he bites and believe me it hurts:11:. can anyone help me to how i can tame him and get him on my hand.:rainbow1:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I agree with clicker taining, or the use of positive reinforcement.

You might try putting your less dominant hand (in my case, left hand, as I'm right handed) flat against or on the cage door, then have treats in your dominant hand. You can slowly teach your conure to step onto your hand for the treat by first offering the treat above your hand, then slowly move the treat hand back so he has to reach a little further to get to it. Slowly, keep bringing your hand back until he steps up. It's ok if he only puts one foot on your hand, because when he's comfortable, he'll use both feet. Once on your hand, allow him to get off, i.e. don't move. Continue teaching him to get on and off your hand prior to trying to move your hand.

If at any point in time, he balks or backs off, go back a step. Here's a blog with a video teaching a budgie to step up using millet.

Living With Parrots Cage Free: Bucky and Strider - Millet Eating Fiends!

Most Reactions