Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Has anybody else seen the story about the woman who supposedly too her young child to a tanning salon ?
OMG !!!!!!!!!!
IMO , that woman has a serious mental problem ! I mean who the heck would want to look like that woman ??? She looks like a burnt piece of wood !
And to train the child that it's ok to do this !!!! OMG
I almost fell off the chair when I saw the picture of this woman !
Terrible , just terrible !
If this doesn't get through to the younger folk that those tanning beds are extremely dangerous , nothing will !
But , even the graphic pictures of a smokers lung hasn't changed their minds that smoking is dangerous , I guess we can all give up on the next generation.

What's next ? I hate to even think about it....:11:
I had to rant , sorry guys :20::52:

wenz2712

Banned
Banned
Nov 16, 2011
Media
I saw this in the Paper today :( My reaction was exactly the same as yours! Your right she looked awful!! and as for taking a young child to a Tanning Centre??

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Yep. She's disgusting and then calls those who are against her "fat, ugly and jealous". I'm neither fat, nor ugly and I am Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from jealous!! As a parent, it's implausible to do something like this.

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
To be honest... I don't know what the big deal is. It would be different if there was PROOF that she had taken her daughter INTO the bed. When I was young, my mom would take me with her to the tanning bed but I would just sit on the floor and play with my dolls until she was finished, and then we would leave.

As to what she looks like.... Yes, it's unhealthy and it's definitely not attractive to me. But she's not hurting anyone but herself. And if she's happy with her decisions, why ream her for it?

Just my two cents.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
To be honest... I don't know what the big deal is. It would be different if there was PROOF that she had taken her daughter INTO the bed. When I was young, my mom would take me with her to the tanning bed but I would just sit on the floor and play with my dolls until she was finished, and then we would leave.

As to what she looks like.... Yes, it's unhealthy and it's definitely not attractive to me. But she's not hurting anyone but herself. And if she's happy with her decisions, why ream her for it?

Just my two cents.

The child (her daughter) had a "sun burn". It's not that the Mother took her and had her wait in the room while she (the mother) tanned. It's that the burn on the child is being investigated as a burn from a tanning bed.

And hey, if she wants to look disgusting and gross and have Melanoma, that's her business. But she should NOT subject her child to it. I have my nose pierced and a tattoo; doesn't mean I'll allow my daughter to do those things until she's 18.

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots

Just my two cents.

The child (her daughter) had a "sun burn". It's not that the Mother took her and had her wait in the room while she (the mother) tanned. It's that the burn on the child is being investigated as a burn from a tanning bed.

And hey, if she wants to look disgusting and gross and have Melanoma, that's her business. But she should NOT subject her child to it. I have my nose pierced and a tattoo; doesn't mean I'll allow my daughter to do those things until she's 18.

Eh... The sun burn is kind of fishy, but then again, it could have just been from the sun! I agree, I wasn't allowed to get any piercings/tattoos until I turned 18... Now I'm almost 20 and guess what... I still don't have any! LOL

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Eh... The sun burn is kind of fishy, but then again, it could have just been from the sun! I agree, I wasn't allowed to get any piercings/tattoos until I turned 18... Now I'm almost 20 and guess what... I still don't have any! LOL

Yeah, it could have been from the good 'ol sun... but let's be honest. How realistic does that seem? Especially if she's taken the child in with her to the tanning salon? It's quite plausible that during one of the excursions, the daughter may have asked her Mom to let her and the Mom being the type that see's nothing damaging in what she's doing, let her daughter go in her place.

I was 27 when I got my first tattoo. I'm 30 and my second one is scheduled for 2 weeks from yesterday. Just 'cuz I have 'em doesn't mean I get 'em a lot ;)

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots

Yeah, it could have been from the good 'ol sun... but let's be honest. How realistic does that seem? Especially if she's taken the child in with her to the tanning salon? It's quite plausible that during one of the excursions, the daughter may have asked her Mom to let her and the Mom being the type that see's nothing damaging in what she's doing, let her daughter go in her place.

I was 27 when I got my first tattoo. I'm 30 and my second one is scheduled for 2 weeks from yesterday. Just 'cuz I have 'em doesn't mean I get 'em a lot ;)

I just was meaning that when I was 14-17 I BEGGED AND BEGGED for a tattoo/piercing, but as soon as I turned 18, it wasn't that big of a deal anymore and I am SO thankful my mom didn't let me get one at the time. LOL. Not to say I don't want one now, but it's just not a priority right now. :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
sorry thats child abuse! if that womans put her daughter on the bed

the mother has a mental health issue, bacuase she will not see wrong in what she has or is doing, but her daughters ginger, and there is no way she will have the melatonin levels in her skin, to be able to combat the tanning rays!

i can be very black an white about certain things, pardon the pun.

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots

the mother has a mental health issue, bacuase she will not see wrong in what she has or is doing, but her daughters ginger, and there is no way she will have the melatonin levels in her skin, to be able to combat the tanning rays!

"Ginger" ..........

I think you mean she has fair skin, so she will get a sun burn more easily than someone with not so fair skin........ :54:

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots

"Ginger" ..........

I think you mean she has fair skin, so she will get a sun burn more easily than someone with not so fair skin........ :54:

No, she said and meant Ginger. The little girl isn't just fair skinned, she has red hair. Redhead's aka Ginger's, pigmentation is a LOT different than just someone who is fair-skinned.

I should know, I'm a Ginger and so is my daughter.

caliopi

Jan 30, 2010
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot
King Parrot
This story made the news here in Oz too and I was in shock that a mother could even think of taking a child into the tanning room. A couple of things concern me over the obvious concerns and they are usually there is only one pair of goggles in a tanning room so who went without them? For the child to be seriously burnt I wonder how long she had her there because going on how ridiculously dark the mother was I would assume she went for the maximum amount of time allowed per session ( here it is 16 minutes but only people who have gradually built up to that can have that amount of time and most start on 5 minutes and work up).
One of my employees is addicted to tanning beds and goes at least three times a week. At 21 she has lovely young skin but we all have told her over and over the damage she is doing. When I saw this on the news I paused the tv and called her into my office and said I had something she needed to see.........I then told her this is what she has to look forward to if she keeps going. Hopefully seeing how awful this woman looked will scare her pale!

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots

"Ginger" ..........

No, she said and meant Ginger. The little girl isn't just fair skinned, she has red hair. Redhead's aka Ginger's, pigmentation is a LOT different than just someone who is fair-skinned.

Interesting... Where I live, the term "ginger" is a very derogatory term. It does mean someone with fair skin and red hair, but it means it in a bad way. My best friend has red hair and very fair skin and I take offense when I hear the word "ginger" because I know it upsets her a lot when people say that to her. :/

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
When someone described her as a 'burnt piece of wood' I thought it was an exaggeration... but woah, hell. I mean I know people who over do it a little on the tanning... but that is ridiculous. Honestly, at very first glance I thought the picture was simply of a black woman whom had dyed her hair blonde... but no.

People who tan that excessively are often addicted to it. I forget the exact reason, I think it releases endorphines? Some manner of chemical in the brain, anyways. But to do the same to your kid? I know tanning salons really push the 'health' benefits of their beds. She quite possibly doesn't think it is harmful. Not an excuse, of course.

OP
luvmytooo

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
To expose the child to the "tanning lights" is dangerous to her eyes as well.
Ou supposed to wear goggles or something before you go in the room , right ?
I wonder if the child wore them if she was just "waiting" in the room for her momma ?
Just the idea of exposing the child to any of this is absurd. Even if the sunburn the little one has is from the sun , that is not a good thing either !! My niece and nephew were always covered with sun protection when outside .
I can understand kids might get some color on their faces sometimes , but because of this woman's addiction , i think the child should be seen by a doctor to determine if it is from the sun or a tan bed .
Kids rely on us , their parents , guardians , to make the best possible decisions for them.
This child's mother is not capable of making decisions for herself !!

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
"Ginger" ..........

Interesting... Where I live, the term "ginger" is a very derogatory term. It does mean someone with fair skin and red hair, but it means it in a bad way. My best friend has red hair and very fair skin and I take offense when I hear the word "ginger" because I know it upsets her a lot when people say that to her. :/

It can be derogatory, but I certainly don't take it that way and most people do not intend for it that way. There's also a distinct difference between a person with red hair and a ginger. You can have red in your hair (auburn, strawberry blond, etc) and not be a ginger. Ginger also refers to the skin tone. To be a true ginger, it isn't necessarily that your hair is carrot orange, but it's the pigmentation of the skin, as well as having red hair (and not necessarily the carrot orange either). The little girl in this case is, in fact, a ginger.

I'm a ginger, but my hair isn't carrot orange (it was vibrant red and now it's reddish brown). I am so pale I might as well be translucent, minus the freckles. Hence why I'm considered a ginger.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i meant no offense to any1 that has ginger hair, my best friends little girl is ginger and i am aware of the stigma surrounding the term, but i would never use the term in a manner that is not appropriate, when i use it, its in a matter of fact manner.

and because livvie is strawberry blond :) that is why i am so aware for her need for factor 30 plus when she is out in the sun

Most Reactions

Latest posts