Taxi suggestions for a Yellow Naped

Guacamole

May 30, 2013
Glen Cove NY
Parrots
Guacamole-Yellow Nape Amazon
Hi
Guacamole started chewing on her feet again this week, but I will leave that for another thread.
I have an old plastic cat carrier with a perch installed. Over the years Guacamole has customized it by chewing the plastic between the holes. She really tore it apart this time, making holes a little too big for comfort. It needs to be replaced.
I saw one a carrier I liked in an expensive parrot store but can't seem to find it or similar online.
It was like a plastic cat carrier (veri kennel type), but the top half was a black metal grate. It didn't appear to be easily chewed on.
Is anybody familiar with this type of carrier?
What do others use?
I have to bring Guacamole back to the vet soon, so I need to replace it soon.
Thanks! Laurie

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Lauria, check out this super ultra cool backpack that April (Kiwibird) got for her Kiwi: http://www.parrotforums.com/cages/42749-kiwi-s-new-carrier-here-video-his-first-go.html

Foster & Smith has a foldable, all wire travel cage:
Bird Cages: Fold 'n Go Travel Cage at DrsFosterSmith.com

Are you thinking of this carrier with the wire on top? If so, it's too small for a YN Amazon
Cabin Kennel Wire Top Bird Carrier - Travel Contanier - Parrot Cages and Carriers - Bird Pet Supplies

And, here's another carrier you could use:
PlayfulParrot: Wingabago Bird Carrier

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Wendy gave some very good suggestions. If this is just something to take your bird to the vet once in a blue moon, I wouldn't get into anything to fancy or expensive. If your bird is a chewer, just avoid a plastic carrier altogether and go with a cage-style. Wendy did give some great options, but for the sole purpose of vet/emergency travel with your bird, I like the second one best. This one looks even sturdier- Kings Cages Aluminum Pet Travel Cage ATT1214 Parrot Bird Cages | eBay

Our BFA has a sturdy cage made for a smaller bird as his vet carrier, it's 14x14x20, and fits him comfortably for short trips as well as fits in the car well. It's sturdy and safe and if it gets dirty, all it needs is a good scrubbing outside with the powerhouse. The backpack style carrier we got him is more for walks around the neighborhood or little trips to the farmers market and stuff like that since he's not harness trained. It's a very nice carrier, but I would not have it as his sole carrier. Any stressful situation that may prompt him to chew on stuff or at the vets office where another animal with a careless owner could try to get at him, I want him in a metal cage. JMO.

Hope your Guacamole (cute name BTW) gets better soon:)

OP
G

Guacamole

May 30, 2013
Glen Cove NY
Parrots
Guacamole-Yellow Nape Amazon
thanks for the suggestions!
I like all the variety, things have changed a lot! The one I saw has a plastic bottom and the top was wire mesh on the sides and top. Just like a cat carrier (which is what she has (had), that was modified with a perch. The one I saw had the same bottom, but not plastic on the top.
I will spend some time reading the suggestions and then decide.
It is really only for occasional trips out. Although I love the backpacks, she would chew through it before we even left the neighborhood!
Thanks again!

Most Reactions

Latest posts