territory boundaries?

Pixie603

Jul 4, 2013
Parrots
SI Eclectus
Congo African grey
ok, so as i'm sure a bunch of you know, i have a 2 yr old male eckie that i finished off weaning at 3x a day, and i just adopted a 10 yr african gray female who is a boredom plucker.the 1st 2 days my eckie (rocky) went into hannahs (grey) cage just to check things out. i let him since he was my baby and i felt he deserved to know. (she didn't seem to mind as long as he wasn't near her food) she would tell him and he would get out if he went over his boundaries.Lately hannah has been exploring(after being use to getting yelled at my her previous owner to "stay at her cage" be it on top or inside.) they said she pooped too much and didnt want to deal with it. so of course im like explore the heck out of the place hannah. i have since changed her diet and she isn't any worse than my eckie ( aside from a tiny bit more)so when she goes into rockys cage he puffs us like a big bird and does a bit of bobbing, and she ignores is. (im supervising, trust me) just not sure what i should and shouldn't allow based on their backgrounds, as i would like them to be able to play on the same toy/perch someday (if that never happens, ok, but its a goal for now anyway)i want to let them test their boundaries but at the same time i don't want anyone bullied/feeling walked on...thanks so much!hope i'm not being a pain!

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
They can be out together as long as they are been supervised by you but I would not allow one to go into the other's cage because, if something happens, you wouldn't be able to stop it from happening (they are mighty fast when they attack). Not yet anyway... As to their bonding, I've had six grays and none of them ever bonded with another species. but I don't know if this is coincidence, if it's because grays don't usually do it or because they always had another gray so they didn't have to 'settle' for a different-looking bird.

OP
Pixie603

Pixie603

Jul 4, 2013
Parrots
SI Eclectus
Congo African grey
thanks, wont let them explore each others cage anymore. As far as bonding, they can be on the same play stand together. My eckie is flighted and will fly over while hannah (still clipped) is on it. she stays and he just gets higher as soon as he can. i would love if they would actually interact some day, but i'm not holding my breath....

Most Reactions