OP
P

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I think we are crossing each others path so I wont reply as such but THANK YOU for your input and without pressing any whistles or bells. :)

Hi plumsmum,

I read your post and got it the first time. I think you missed the point of my post.

First it's not always feasible to thank every person who responded to a thread while your away. Nor would a thread where the OP does a post per thank you per person going to be easy read. Even a quick "thank you everyone" before addressing specific people is quite sufficient. MANY times I've posted as one among five or six, and not have the OP address my post specifically, but they do start with "thanks everyone!" This is sufficient acknowledgement for me.

Secondly, the point of my post can be summed up thusly:

Your post: "why are people so aversed to the thanks button? What do you think?"
My post: "what do I think? I think, why care? In my interface with the forum, The thanks button is ancillary at best and, preoccupation with it detracts from my purpose, talking to people about parrots. I personally have more important things to worry about than whether someone hit a button on a post."

As a bell and whistle on this Ferrari of a forum platform, it's nice to have and I'm certainly not wishing it go away. but I'm not stressin' over it.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I do like to use the thank button. I so appreciate it when people take the time to reply to a thread I have started, and love having the option to thank them:)
I also like to use it to indicate I agree with what someone else posted on another thread.
Just takes me a second to click, and makes me happy to do so. Just how I look at it:)

Feb 17, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Major Mitchell Cockatoos
Bentley & Isabelle

Australian Grass Parrots
Chipper & Pearl
Hello

I have tried to be an honest and helpful member since joining end of last year.

My replies are honest, heart felt, from experience or learning/reading and usually succinct. I do my best to help those that say they want it and it is given gladly.

Of late I have noticed that there are some that seem to have an aversion to pressing the 'thumbs up/thanks that was useful' button even though they have asked for help and received it.

What I ask is how am I supposed to evaluate my replies to the questions being asked in terms of quality, usefulness and have I helped that person sufficiently?

Some give thanks at the end of the thread but that is sometimes unclear as to who it is aimed at.

I always try to make sure that if you have made me laugh, I have found it useful or I have learned from the post that I 'thank'.

It is part of the generosity and spirit of the forum, a tool to be used. It helps to keep the forum alive and not end up stale and negative. You will notice it is used freely by the Mods all the time.

If you put out a call for help and it was read and noted but you were met with a wall of silence how would you feel?

I think some will interpret this as oh she is only looking to clock up thanks and to those I will say you are wrong. But answer this, for how long do you go on doing something for people who never say thank you?
Also people ask for advise, then refute what is given, or they keep asking questions and don't apply what was suggested, sometimes,I recommend that these type of people, do some research of their own Just my humble opinion.
:20:

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
Wow...
I never really though about this, to be honest. I do not really click the thanks button, merely because it rarely crosses my mind. But I realized, thanks to this post, that it IS a tool that should be used. A tool that is so very useful. I have been reminded in such a way, that I shouldn't ever forget. I think, also, sometimes I wonder when I should thank somebody. Because I simply enjoyed what they said? I know we should if the post was useful or helped someone understand something, or feel better. I realize I always thank people, but by the words I say in my posts. Now I know, I need to click that Thanks button in order for me and everyone else to enjoy the website because it is encouraging and helpful, even more.

I think for others, the reason why they do not thank someone is because they are confused about it for some reason? Or they just don't feel a need to?

Although I believe some of us can use the button a little more, because it certainly is helpful, I will not be too concerned, or really care too much if others do not use it. I do not believe it makes them think any differently about the threads, the people, or the website. I value their reasons for why they forget, or do not use the button.

Last edited:

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I didn't even realize it was there until about a week ago. So, although I've posted quite a bit, I'm certainly not a frequent "Thanker."

I had no idea that people were paying any attention to whether they were "thanked" for their contribution here. I certainly don't post with the expectation of anyone thanking me. The act of sharing my (limited) knowledge and participating in this community pleases me and that's why I do it.

When I've asked for advice and received it, I thank the participants in a reply, since I've never been in a forum with a "Thanks" button before.

Feb 17, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Major Mitchell Cockatoos
Bentley & Isabelle

Australian Grass Parrots
Chipper & Pearl
I didn't even realize it was there until about a week ago. So, although I've posted quite a bit, I'm certainly not a frequent "Thanker."

I had no idea that people were paying any attention to whether they were "thanked" for their contribution here. I certainly don't post with the expectation of anyone thanking me. The act of sharing my (limited) knowledge and participating in this community pleases me and that's why I do it.

When I've asked for advice and received it, I thank the participants in a reply, since I've never been in a forum with a "Thanks" button before.
"Thank you button" isn't always conducive to the topic, maybe need to add a "like it button!" :cool:

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
The Thanks button often 'jams up' both my computer and my iPad, where it will cause me to have to refresh the page, and it takes a moment so it can be a pain. :(

I try to do it if I strongly agree, or the words really 'hit home', something makes me laugh, or I'm busy and can't stay on the computer but want to acknowledge a picture or something. Then sometimes I mean to but forget.

OP
P

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

"Thank you button" isn't always conducive to the topic, maybe need to add a "like it button!" :cool:

If you note that the thanks button actually is a 'thumbs up' graphic and for what it's worth that is how I use it. If it's a positive to me then I thank. :)

Most Reactions