Thanksgiving Question

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Hey guys :)

Jasper and I will be spending Thanksgiving alone this weekend unfortunately, but I still want to cook a nice dinner for myself and also give him something extra to celebrate.

I think I'll (try!) to cook a small ham - is he allowed a small piece?

His birdie bread should be arriving this week so I want to make up some for him as well as a treat. Generally how much birdie bread can be given at once? How often? He's never had it before.

Want to make Thanksgiving as enjoyable as possible for both of us, so if you have any other ideas would be appreciated :) :green2:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
You won't be alone, you have Jasper:)

I don't know much about Canadian Thanksgiving traditional foods, but here in the US things like cranberries, green beans, pumpkins, squash and sweet potatoes are all traditional Thanksgiving foods that could easily be offered to a parrot plain and make yummy dishes for us humans:) In regards to birdie bread, a few times a week is generally good for most species, but being so diet sensitive, I'll let the ekkie 'experts' answer on that one;)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You won't be alone, you have Jasper:)

I don't know much about Canadian Thanksgiving traditional foods, but here in the US things like cranberries, green beans, pumpkins, squash and sweet potatoes are all traditional Thanksgiving foods that could easily be offered to a parrot plain and make yummy dishes for us humans:) In regards to birdie bread, a few times a week is generally good for most species, but being so diet sensitive, I'll let the ekkie 'experts' answer on that one;)

Thanksgiving is one of the most dangerous days at our home. Our big Amazon is in high anticipation from first light of day until food is served. And, he had better have a dish of is favorites, which is near everything!

General Amazon Warning: Never place one's self between an Amazon and Food!

On the Meat side of the table, it is important to keep any meat to a minimum. With just so many other things available, our Amazon has yet to pick-up on the fact that he's gotten short served on the meat. With a heavy German /Polish background, plus a couple of more countries in the mix to just to make it interesting, there is always at least four different meats that make the table. So with our Amazon, there is generally so many other bits and pieces he only stands proud and demanding on one item: The cleaned Leg Bone of the that poor Turkey!

Happy Thanksgiving to All of Our Canadian Friends!!!!

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
[
Thanksgiving is one of the most dangerous days at our home. Our big Amazon is in high anticipation from first light of day until food is served. An he had better have a dish of is favorites, which is near everything!

I have both an amazon and a husband who wake with first light in high anticipation of the feast to follow. Can't keep either one out of the kitchen (and neither of them are at all helpful:rolleyes:).

Just wanted to add, there were a few years in a row hubby worked on Thanksgiving, so it was me n Kiwi. It's actually kind of nice to have the pressure off to cook a huge meal and host a bunch of people;) Enjoy a nice, relaxing day with your Jasper and eat some yummy food (whatever YOU want instead of what everybody else wants):)

Last edited:
OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Thank you!! Yes our dinners are very similar to the US Thanksgiving, basically just depends if you want the traditional turkey or switch it. I'll cook up some sweet potato for Jasper, he only ever gets it raw so I'm sure he'll enjoy it cooked :) Will give him a special Thanksgiving feast.

And thank you for saying that - you're right, I won't be alone because I have him and for THAT I am already thankful :) :)

Cheers!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
[
Thanksgiving is one of the most dangerous days at our home. Our big Amazon is in high anticipation from first light of day until food is served. An he had better have a dish of is favorites, which is near everything!

I have both an amazon and a husband who wake with first light in high anticipation of the feast to follow. Can't keep either one out of the kitchen (and neither of them are at all helpful:rolleyes:).

Just wanted to add, there were a few years in a row hubby worked on Thanksgiving, so it was me n Kiwi. It's actually kind of nice to have the pressure off to cook a huge meal and host a bunch of people;) Enjoy a nice, relaxing day with your Jasper and eat some yummy food (whatever YOU want instead of what everybody else wants):)

I make great mashed potatoes, start by ricing the boiled potatoes, using sour cream and the balance I keep to myself - insurance on getting invited into the kitchen for a few minutes. :D

Hey, that's why I get directed back out to my Grill!

We rotate around the family for Thanksgiving!

BruceTheQuail

Jun 12, 2016
Our eckies will eat a little meat from time to time - a lamb cutlet bone is their favorite. They love ham and bacon, but we only let them have a scrap because of the salt and additives. Parrots seem to be drawn to salt, and it can kill them if they have too much. Bird (our eckie hen) will charge over if she sees us opening the butter, toast with butter and jam is her all time favorite.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
What a great thread, and what a lovely thought: you'll spend this special holiday with your darling. I hope it will be a peaceful and meaningful day, and I bet it will be. Thanks for sharing this.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Happy Thanksgiving, Katie and Jasper! What is the exact day?

As for your questions, a few pieces of birdy bread a week as April suggested is just fine for ekkies. (So is most everything else that she does for Kiwi. April is an ekkie parront trapped in an amazon parront's body! Lol!) The trick is just not to give so much that he's no longer hungry for any of the more nutritious stuff.

Personally, the only meats I ever feed to my Eclectic Duo are chicken and fish. And rarely at that.

Hope you and Jasper enjoy! And make sure to catch a pic or two!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh yeah! This will be Salty's first Turkey Day with us, and I intend to spoil him rotten. Yams, of course, pasta, squash, beans, corn, red beets, punkin pie, and a nice turkey bone ( LOL, no leg Jim, it would be as big as he is - high comedic value, low nutritional value) and maybe a special little treat for him - pine nut and walnut tart. Maybe I can teach him to say Gobble Gobble by then. Fast as he learns tricks, it take Salty awhile to learn new words/phrases. Geri has been trying to get him to say Hi Daddy for weeks, and he has only said it once so far.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Happy Thanksgiving, Katie and Jasper! What is the exact day?

As for your questions, a few pieces of birdy bread a week as April suggested is just fine for ekkies. (So is most everything else that she does for Kiwi. April is an ekkie parront trapped in an amazon parront's body! Lol!) The trick is just not to give so much that he's no longer hungry for any of the more nutritious stuff.

Personally, the only meats I ever feed to my Eclectic Duo are chicken and fish. And rarely at that.

Hope you and Jasper enjoy! And make sure to catch a pic or two!

Thanksgiving Day is this coming Monday! Thanks for the info. I'll skip giving him the ham but I'll be sure to cook up some yummy food for him :)

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the replies. I'll be sure to share photos! :green2:

Most Reactions