The adventures of Mr. Spoiled Rotten

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
Two cockatiels: Sharlett (Cinnamon Pied) and Data (White-Faced Pied)
(Sorry about my absence, guys! I've been distracted recently, lol!)

Well, Data has been 'helping' me in the mornings when I brush my teeth and do other hygeine related activities. And by helping I mean clinging to me and getting wierded out by my toothbrush.

If I put him down on the floor, he will not wander very far from me and will sometimes sit on my foot. He also looks at me with an expression that begs me to pick him up. (He also isn't very used to many of the other rooms in our house but I am going to try and fix that so he's not scared.)

If I walk over to throw something in the trash can, or move slightly away, there will be a little patter of scaley feet as he follows me! It is downright adorable!

He has also been clingy recently and I'm wondering if that is due to his first molt, which he is currently experiencing. His tail feathers are growing back but he hasn't really been talking, which I also believe to the due to the molting. He also seems to be interested in everything I do and has watched me draw him, lol!

He also picks fights with Sharlett (and she with him sometimes) when I hold both of them because he gets jealous. I'm trying to fix that but Mr. Spoiled Rotten doesn't like sharing mommy with his best friend Sharlett.

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
Sounds very cute! My tiel likes to perch on my back and watch himself in the mirror while I brush my teeth but doesn't seem to take any particular interest in the tooth brush, haha. He doesn't care for being on the floor though, and he'll fly right up and land on my head if I set him down that low. Clingy is about right, he sure does like to stay close! Sounds like our birds are very similar in that way =)

Cute name, Data. I like that a lot =)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Data sounds adorable! I think it might be time to see some pics of him (and Sharlett) :).

Just be careful about having him on the floor. I'd hate to see anything happen like what happened with me. I thought I was always paying attention, but a couple months ago I was rushing around with the birds out, and accidentally stepped on Griffin's head hard enough to dislocate his beak, and had to rush him to emergency.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Was just going to say something about dangers of being stepped on. Easy to happen, horrible to experience! My JoJo must have his own toothbrush when we doing teeth! My poor daughter didn't know this and paid the price having JoJo in her bathroom with her!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Data must be respected (I speak of Probability Theory AND your household)!

Treasure these early days, as I know you do. Before you know it, years will have gone by!

What a precious bird!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sounds very cute! My tiel likes to perch on my back and watch himself in the mirror while I brush my teeth but doesn't seem to take any particular interest in the tooth brush, haha. He doesn't care for being on the floor though, and he'll fly right up and land on my head if I set him down that low. Clingy is about right, he sure does like to stay close! Sounds like our birds are very similar in that way =)

Cute name, Data. I like that a lot =)

Clingy sounds about right. I wonder if its a young cockatiel thing. BB wan0ts to be with me a lot too. How old is your Data?
Even though BB is clipped <not heavily> he can still fly a little. I was watching tv yesterday before work and I nodded off on the couch,only to feel these pointy things digging into my beard.
It seems The Beebs flew from his roof top to the floor and walked up to the couch and then flew from the floor to my face lol :eek: That woke me up real quick!

Jim

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Crow, Data sounds like an absolutely adorable little guy! I think clingy and spoiled rotten is entangled in cockatiel DNA, if given the chance, the little sweethearts just can't resist.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Data sure sounds like he is the very heart of your home a Grea little Character :)

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Was just going to say something about dangers of being stepped on. Easy to happen, horrible to experience! My JoJo must have his own toothbrush when we doing teeth! My poor daughter didn't know this and paid the price having JoJo in her bathroom with her!

There was this ADORABLE rather famous tiel on youtube who would dance on the floor as the owner would tap her feet. This owner accidentally stepped on the tiel one day and it died. They were mortified. I NEVER allow my tiel on the floor... it is just a very serious accident waiting to happen. I still always look around on the floor before I step... it's become second nature... but NO birds allowed on the floor in my house even though I live alone... NO birds on floor. Period. :)

Here is one of the most incredible tiels I ever saw in my life... very special tiel he was. Here he is "tap dancing": [ame="https://youtu.be/l5XGbQUz3Ic"]Dancing Cockatiel - YouTube[/ame]

I felt sick to my stomach when I found out what happened to him. Horrible :(

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
It is so good to hear an update on the precious Data! I agree with Julie, please share some pictures!

OP
spaceparrot

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
Two cockatiels: Sharlett (Cinnamon Pied) and Data (White-Faced Pied)
I will share some pictures soon! And Data is about six months old now but he's still my baby! :) Sharlett is becoming a young lady at around seven months of age but I still call her girlie or missy!

And thank you all for the compliments! I'll have to tell him!

I got his name from one of my favorite characters from Star Trek, lol. My dad got me into it and so it's something we share together. :) We want to teach him to say some phrases from the show, lol.

And yes, being clingy seems to be a tiel thing as does wanting all the attention in the world! I'm more than happy to spoil him, though!

I try to be careful with Data when he is on the floor and I only ever do it for a minute when I am fixing my hair or doing something else that would be hard to do with him on my shoulder!

He is precious and your birds are also precious! I hope Data starts talking again soon so I can get a better quality video of him talking and add subtitles to it! He has got an adorable little voice!

Most Reactions