The Budgie's Diet?

Snow2023

Aug 15, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
So I have learned when I got my birds seeds aren't healthy; so I got them coloured pellets instead. Now I learned that those aren't good either and that uncoloured pellets are the way to go. However, many influencers have had their budgies live a long time and make blends on their own, but most those have seeds in them. So I am now just confused. So I am asking what people recommend me to transition to or if I should just stay with what I have.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
So I have learned when I got my birds seeds aren't healthy; so I got them coloured pellets instead. Now I learned that those aren't good either and that uncoloured pellets are the way to go. However, many influencers have had their budgies live a long time and make blends on their own, but most those have seeds in them. So I am now just confused. So I am asking what people recommend me to transition to or if I should just stay with what I have.
You're right- colored pellets aren't good for a budgie. People make their own blends and may add seeds for a sole reason- and that is to either add a bit of nutritional fat into the bird blend or to get the bird to feast on it. But the best thing is that you don't really need much pellets since most of the diet of the bird should be consisting of chop, you can add a little bit of seed if your budgie is super picky. you can even sprout wheat grass and let your budgie nibble and foreage in it. and to the chop, make sure to add some sprouts of seeds that are good for budgies since sprouts hold a lot of needed nutrition!

in conclusion, its better to transition your bird's pellets into roudy bush, harrison's, or TOP's. I use Roudy bush and harrison's for my budgie for 2-3 years and he's thriving! Many budgies love harrisons, from what i've experienced. A pellet brand i dont recommend to give to your bird is Zupreem since they add sugar and also have a colored version, which from what i learned, isn't good for your budgie.

hope this helps!

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Some good points made above. It is becoming more accepted that budgies don’t do best on a pellet heavy diet. I feed mine a good quality seed blend and fresh veggies daily. I offer a little Harrison’s super fine high potency blend or Lafeber’s gourmet blend pellets but I don’t know how much of the pellets they actually eat! They definitely like their veggies, though 🙂

OP
Snow2023

Snow2023

Aug 15, 2023
Parrots
Budgies
Thanks for telling me! Zupreem is the brand I use. However, now I think I will take a look at all three of those brands. Do any of them have certain benefits unique to them?

Most Reactions