The early days

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Rea, before she was flighted (and after :) )

1y27g7.jpg

k2er7r.jpg

nqojuw.jpg

13zr3a1.jpg

27yu240.jpg

Conuregirl

Jan 16, 2012
New Jersey
Parrots
Oliver the nanday conure (rescue), Suki the green cheek conure, Picabo the Hahn's Macaw, and Big Bird the dove
Nice pictures! Your bird is a beauty!

taylor_

Jul 2, 2012
Mpls, MN
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure named Arthur!
GORGEOUS BIRD. and love these photos. especially the one of you holding her up and her wings are open.<3

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
now do you let het fly with the harness on.

No, mainly due to not having a long lead for her harness. Rea ain't much of a flier, she'd rather walk across the floor than fly, unless it's just a few feet or so. Now Miri on the other hand is THE flyer of the house, amazing how she can maneuver thru it with that wing span.

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
ok not does she wear a harness on outside. does she fly to you. in did you have to do training with her. i have a scarlet macaw. his wings were clip but im letting them grow out...he wants to fly i can just tell how he acts.. but can you gave me details on how you did it. if you dont want to write here will you pm me

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Rea really doesn't fly much, her own choosing, the most she'll fly is 3-4ft., either from her cage to one of us or from person to person. I honestly think I could shoulder her outside but won't risk it, never know when a sudden loud noise might startle her. Now Miri, whole nother thing, she loves to fly & we didn't teach her anything, just hold out your arm (or not) and just call her and she flies right to ya.

Rea can fly just fine, she just chooses not to, no idea why. None of our birds are clipped, our choice obviously. As stated somewhere else Miri just started flying to my oldest boy & barely even knows him, he was only here 3-4 days. My youngest is REALLY good at ducking, he ain't too fond of the claws LOL.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
If you have the space, a great/fun game to play is "Tag". I played Tag with a YNA and Greenwing, and it was so funny/cute. Every time the greenwing landed on a perch in front of he, he'd give a macaw chuckle. The YNA was content to walk from one end of the enclosure to the other, but finally started flying in the end. :D

Thanks for sharing your pictures!!

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
What a beautiful bird! She has such sweet facial expressions. :)

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I played Tag with a YNA and Greenwing

It wouldn't be tag...:eek: it'd be a disaster, we have to be very careful to keep the breeds separate when loose or I have to be right on top of them. The Hahn's is the most defiant, although the smallest she ain't afraid of ANY of the others!! Although I have got to have Lani & Rea out on me at the same time before but within arm's reach the entire time.

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I played Tag with a YNA and Greenwing

It wouldn't be tag...:eek: it'd be a disaster, we have to be very careful to keep the breeds separate when loose or I have to be right on top of them. The Hahn's is the most defiant, although the smallest she ain't afraid of ANY of the others!! Although I have got to have Lani & Rea out on me at the same time before but within arm's reach the entire time.

Ah, that's a shame. For me, just having the two birds to keep an eye on was OK as I could see where each was before moving to a new location. If not, try one on one; or even just hide-and-seek? :p

OP
WharfRat

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
No, not a breeder at all, both GW's are female, Zon's are male, had a neighbor that we became great friends with, she is a breeder but also runs a rescue as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts