The food switch isn't going so well

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
It's been about a week now since I went and got her a new seed mix and the zupreem fruitblend pellets. At first, I just added some of the pellets to her seeds and she did eat a few of them the first day. The next few days though, I noticed she was just picking the seeds out and leaving the pellets. I tried seperating the seeds and pellets into different bowls(there are four in her cage) and she was only using the water, seed, and veggie/fruit bowls and not touching the pellets. So, after a few days of that, I tried switching the pellet and seed bowl, all that accomplished is her eating on the other side of the cage :mad: I have never had a bird not like pellets before and I'm not really sure how to go about convincing her to eat them. I don't want to completely remove the seeds because I'm afraid then she won't eat anything(except for the fresh stuff I give her daily). I think she might be eating a few pellets here and there but it's hard to tell because the food bowl doors are solid so I can't really see her while she's eating unless I walk up to the cage and that usually causes her to stop eating. I have even tried just mixing a little bit of seed into the pellet bowl and it seems like she just picks all of the seeds out. Does anyone have any advice? I really don't want her living off of seeds :mad: As far as fruits and veggies goes, she has been getting chickpeas(garbonzo beans), shredded carrots, corn, peas, leaf lettuce, celery, tomatoes, black cherries(pits removed, of course), seedless grapes, apples, and a few other things that are completely blanking from my mind right now lol. We tried bananas but she didn't want anything to do with that lol.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Instead of giving her dry seed mix try sprouting the seed, I find with my birds they are more inclined to eat the sprouted seeds before the dry stuff.

WEANINGFOOD002-1.jpg

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
How do you sprout the seed, and do you just use regular bird seed to do it? Is this any healthier than dried seeds? She has no problem eating the dried seeds, it's the pellets I'm trying to get her to eat. I have probably switched over ten birds to pellets from seed and never had a problem but she just isn't interested in them.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Sprouted seeds is very nutritious for them to eat!!! Search through google, there's different ways to sprout seeds!!!

Mix the seeds with pellets, do 75% seeds/25% pellets, change to 50/50, then 25/75. During any time you see them eat multiple pellets, remove seeds 100%.

Im inbetween seeds and pellets, its a debating subject....I do believe in seeds in their diet as well!

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
Ok, thanks for the info. About how long to the sprouted seeds keep and do you think after she starts eating the moistened pellets do you think she will take to the dry ones or is moistening them something I should get used to? I know that's not something you can really answer as it depends on the individual bird, but in your experience, after they start eating them wet will they then start eating them dry?

OP
IcyWolf

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
I also agree about the seed thing, I have always given my birds a little bit of seeds, maybe about 10% of their entire diet, but right now it seems to be about 65% seeds, 30% fresh food and under 5% pellet. I would like it to be more like 60% pellet, 30% fresh food and 10% seed or something along those lines.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I use that site as well Pedro! Its a good site!!!

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
It is dificult to give advise regarding food so this is only my opinion:'

Go from seed to pellets I just take the seed away. Then I only handfeed seed
Sprouting seed is easy. Have seed in water for 24 h, then taken the vater away and keep the seed moistered for about 48 h.

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Sprouts are a significant part of my birdies' diet. In fact, sprouts are Ruby's favorite food...over grapes, apples and berries.

Mandy60

Jul 18, 2011
Missouri
Parrots
Budgies:Perky,Mandy, and Stormy
Try putting pellets on top of the seeds and leaving a tiny bit of the seed showing. I did it for my budgies and they would have to eat at least a few pellets. If it doesn't work you can give them vitamins in their water or maybe some seed supplement. :cool26:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Most parrots would scoop it out and go for the seeds if you did it like its suggested above....

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You may need to try some different types of pellets. Sometimes you can call the manufacturer and ask for samples. Harrisons will do this. As far as mixing seeds with pellets I think this way is not as good. The bird will just pick out the seed and not eat pellets but everyone does this differently.

Most Reactions

Latest posts