The newest resident.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I had a pretty rough month in March, and during that chaos I was asked to take in a lesser sulfur crested cockatoo named Baby Doe. He talks and is quite funny. He came here after spending some time in a petstore in SD where he was sent to be a resident after his owner passed away. He's never been mistreated or spoiled, and I wish I had met the doctor that owned him for so long, because Baby Doe is an amazing boy. My friends who owned the petstore are betting older and felt they should find a permanent home for him, so I was asked if we'd take him, and after verifying that my husband wouldn't murder me for having 14 permanent cockatoo residents I agreed, and they sent him to me.
photobucket-3203-1333773648884.jpg

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
How many birds do you have in total? Do you board birds or are they all permanent residents? Do you have individual cages or do you have several rooms or aviaries dedicated to them? Do you have any pictures of your set up(s) to share? Congrats on the addition, he is beautiful.

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I have about 40 birds total that are permanent, and about 5 at any given time that are rehabs, and then whatever babies I am feeding or weaning. We have a building separated into 5the rooms for the birds, then we keep some on the house (there are three designated bird rooms in the house). We have flight cages outside that we use all summer long for the huge macaws and some of the the larger cockatoos and amazons.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Wow... 14 permanent Too's?!?! Whoa. My husband would kill me! So
Kudos to you for having the ability to do all that. Congrats on your newest addition.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Awww... he's gorgerous..... and with that many birds, what difference could a tiny little cockatoo make... lol

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
What a cutie!!

How do you take care of so many birds? Does one of you not work, or work from home?

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Wow , what a beautiful bird ! Such a gorgeous head dress !
I have a soft spot for Toos (obviously ) but they are such stunning birds.
Good luck with him !
:white1: :white1:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
If your birds are mostly outdoors I guess you do not have too much worry about the feather dust and your lungs. That is wonderful that you can keep that many. How to you manage to chop all that food?? Your grocery bill must be something!

OP
ShreddedOakAviary

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
During the winter the 'toos are indoors so we have an exhaust fan and 2 air filters...lol I am a disabled veteran, so all I do all day is take care of birds and horses. My feed bill for birds is about $400 month. I use a food processor to chop veggies into fine pieces. I cut fruits by hand. I get up at 4am to make bird food every other day (make 2 days at one time) Sometimes I'll make more and freeze the excess, but I don't like doing it that way since veggies lose a lot of their nutritional value when frozen.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
During the winter the 'toos are indoors so we have an exhaust fan and 2 air filters...lol I am a disabled veteran, so all I do all day is take care of birds and horses. My feed bill for birds is about $400 month. I use a food processor to chop veggies into fine pieces. I cut fruits by hand. I get up at 4am to make bird food every other day (make 2 days at one time) Sometimes I'll make more and freeze the excess, but I don't like doing it that way since veggies lose a lot of their nutritional value when frozen.

I'm somewhat jealous of you having so many birds and horses, it's like my dream life. However I understand that there's so much hard work behind it, I just couldn't do it, so I just want to thank you for doing such a wonderful job.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Or there is one huge air purifier , and they grow their own fruit and veggies , lol

Most Reactions