The parrot quiz! Are you up for the challenge?

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
I made this quiz when I didn't have much else to do...I made it fairly difficult, and I may make a new one with more questions in the future. Hopefully you can learn something new.

The parrot quiz

Or if you don't want to bother making an account I will post the questions here and you can PM me to get the answers plus an explanation.

NOTE: Feel free to post your result(E.G. 9/10) but please do not post the right/wrong answers publicly on the forum as it spoils it for people who have not yet taken the quiz.

#1Which of the following statements is most accurate?

A) There are approximately 3370 known species of parrots.

B) There are approximately 370 known species of parrots.

C) There are approximately 3410 known species of parrots.

D) There are approximately 310 known species of parrots.

#2Which of the following is a characteristic of all parrots?

A) All parrots are diurnal

B) All parrots build nests

C) All parrots are monogamous

D) All parrots have a craniofacial hinge

#3What is the largest (heaviest) parrot?

A) Kakapo

B) Moluccan Cockatoo

C) Hyacinth Macaw

D) Wandering Albatross

#4Which of the following is used for parrots?

A)Paratus

B)Falco

C)Psittacine

D)Parentis

#5Which of the following birds is native to south america?

A)Eclectus

B)Eastern Rosella

C)Quaker

D)Sulphur Crested Cockatoo

#6Which of the following birds is not a parrot?

A)Budgerigar (Common parakeet)

B)Parrotlet

C)Cockatiel

D)Toco Toucan

#7What parrot is most commonly kept as a pet?

A)Cockatiel

B)Budgerigar (Common parakeet)

C)Zebra finch

D)Senegal parrot

#8Which of the following is not an endangered species of parrot?

A)Cape Parrot

B)Eclectus Parrot

C)Red crowned amazon

D)Spix Macaw

#9Which of the following is an extinct parrot?

A)Cuban Amazon

B)Dodo Bird

C)Lear's Macaw

D)Carolina Conure

#10What is the loudest parrot in the world?

A)Eclectus Parrot

B)Moluccan Cockatoo

C)Hyacinth Macaw

D)Sun Conure

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I got 90%!
The one I got wrong was 'which of the following is not an endangered species of parrot', won't spoil the the answer, since I'm sure lots of people here will want to take the quiz :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I got 90% :)

I also missed #8 Which parrot is not endangered.
I don't want to give away the answer here, but good thing the one that's not endangered isn't... I hear the natives use a slingshot then have bbq parrot :eek:

Last edited:

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
:23: me too :54: Fun quiz though!:D

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oo! I've been paying attention. I got 10/10. The Carolina Conure nearly put me off because I hadn't heard it called 'conure' before.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congrats Trish :). I've heard that too, Carolina Parakeet. Right? I'd love to see extinct parrots. I wonder if some museums have any taxidermy of extinct species? I'd love to see that.

OP
Nathan1

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
Oo! I've been paying attention. I got 10/10. The Carolina Conure nearly put me off because I hadn't heard it called 'conure' before.

Yea, it can be called either one...I did that on purpose so that people would know it's a conure :p

Parakeet is a very general term and I don't like using it either.

Last edited:
OP
Nathan1

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
Congrats Trish :). I've heard that too, Carolina Parakeet. Right? I'd love to see extinct parrots. I wonder if some museums have any taxidermy of extinct species? I'd love to see that.

I've seen a passenger pigeon at a museum before, but no parrots.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Wikipedia has a picture of a stuffed Carolina parakeet. It's so pretty and so sad to think there were once thousands of those lovely birds - and now there are none! Extinction really is forever, isn't it? :(

OP
Nathan1

Nathan1

Nov 30, 2013
Canada
Parrots
Quaker- Stitch
GCC - Yoshi
RCA - Polly
Extinction really is forever, isn't it? :(

Actually, there has been lots of research on cloning extinct animals. Look up "Revive and restore" on google. The pyrenean ibex is an extinct animal, but in 2007 I think it was they cloned one and it survived for 7 mins before dying of a lung defect.

The Carolina Conure is apparently one of the possible candidates for "De-extinction".

However, whether it's ethical or not is another story...

http://www.parrotforums.com//uk.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Yes, lots of food for thought there. Another possible candidate for 'de-extinction' is our Australian Thylacine or Marsupial Wolf. There's good DNA still available in museum specimens and I think most Australians would love to see a living Thylacine before they die. But is it ethical and will it stuff up natural selection and the natural order? Who can say? :22_yikes:

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I think it's ethical, as long as the animal became extinct due to human reasons. Plus I would love for this technology to advance, to help us increase the gene pool for breeding critically endangered species :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Parrots
Yes! Look at the poor cheetahs: they're reduced to something like 1% of their original genetic diversity owing to overhunting and captive breeding from a single gene pool. :(

Most Reactions