The root of some screaming

Siobhan

Apr 19, 2015
Illinois
Parrots
Clyde, Quaker; Freddie, tiel; Rocky, umbrella cockatoo.
My birthday was a couple of weeks ago, and I wanted balloons, so I went to the party supply shop and got a Star Wars and a Batman balloon. Rocky screamed and screamed and screamed and would not stop until I put them in another room out of his sight.

Yesterday, Hubby, who works construction, brought home a giant cardboard tube (I'm talking 10 feet long) because Rocky loves to destroy cardboard and gets all the boxes to chew up. But this tube terrified him and he freaked out, and Hubby laid it down on the floor. This morning, Rocky screamed and screamed until I took the tube outdoors out of his sight.

I've often heard from parrot "experts" that you have to learn to look at things through your parrot's eyes. What is a harmless balloon to me is a terrifying monster to Rocky. Of course, cockatoos scream sometimes just to hear their heads rattle, or to make you come and play with them, or because it's Tuesday, but I've found with Rocky lately that if I start looking around to discover something that might be scary or out of place or new, that is often the source of the scream. If I move/fix/change the thing that's disturbing him, he might well quiet down and go back to chewing up his toys.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Great job being perceptive! We have a huge array of experiences and knowledge of how to evaluate something new, but our parrots are far more limited. Certainly helps to see things "their way."

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So glad you're still working with Rocky:) It is always interesting what innocuous items freak out a parrot, but also helpful to know what they are to help acclimate them or just remove it.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
looking through the eyes of a parrot is really good and I find fun exercise

although sometimes it's impossible for us to understand, I think I'll always get a headache over rio's fear of red things except the sofa

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah balloons are one of those things that tend to freak birds out...

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
to be honest if someone came into my house with a ten foot tube I'd be a little WTF? also. You probably just have a really smart bird.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Yeah balloons are one of those things that tend to freak birds out...

not just birds...

People. And clowns? They seem to be a persistent theme of freakiness! As in Stephen King's "It."

Clowns *shudders*, a universal terror it seems! Having grownup in the more rural southwest where there was a heavy influence of Native American culture, the Hopi clown kachina... god those things freaked me out as a kid (kachinas in general, but the clown one was the worst). I had more than one nightmare about them. Not sure if Pennywise or the kachinas are more terrifying!

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Is it ok to point out to some of you, some/most of which are on my friends list....that you kinda sorta have some issues with balloons and clowns....neither of which I'm afraid of....I'd be more afraid of say Nora Dunn....that is scary.

Most Reactions