The struggles of finally getting Uglow off pellets and onto fresh food

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I recommend the L'Equip brand of dehydrators. They are hand-in-hand with Bosch. I have a few Bosch stand mixers which run circles around my Kitchenaid. European quality and serious workhorses. I plan to pick up a dehydrator soon. Uglow sounds like he is doing well!

Stupid question but how do you pronounce Uglow? You-glow or Ug-low?

Interesting snippet of info Brittany from one Kitchenaid fan. Did hear that Kitchenaid company had been sold but cannot remember to whom.

OP
Uglow

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
You're slaying it, keep it up!

Keep in mind though that dehydration can damage many of the water soluble vitamins so it's not nearly as nutritious as fresh. Find ways to sneak in fresh stuff like finely chopped peppers. This should start introducing him to eating loads of fresh.

Thanks Chris. Absolutely, he's eating mostly fresh now. The dehydrated bits were a stepping stone. Now they're for foraging and treats.

Stupid question but how do you pronounce Uglow? You-glow or Ug-low?
It's YOU-GLOW. :D

Ha, Thanks Wendy. :) yeah everyone pronounces it You-glow except my dad for some reason and my vet's assistant.

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
Thanks for answering. I just didn't want to be that one person who butchered his name!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Just seeing this thread, Ninos. Great job with transitioning Uglow over to pellets! Not an easy task, and never an exact science. I'm sure a lot of members in the same boat will benefit from this thread. Thank you for sharing.

Moose

Feb 17, 2016
I'm thinking this would be great for doggie jerky too & veggie treats.

I know someone with six Italian Greyhounds from a breed forum I am on, and she made her dogs jerky with dehydrators at least once a month. She would go to the bulk stores (Sam's, Costco, etc.) to get chicken breast, ground meats, etc. You can put ground stuff in a jerky gun, and make dehydrated strips of jerky as well. No worries about buying the more expensive brands of jerky at the pet stores because in making it yourself there is no wondering what's in it.

I've wanted a dehydrator (rather selfishly, I LOVE beef jerky and have long wanted to be able to make my own) for a long time. This makes me consider it even more, if it may help out with my future fids. Wish I had thought of this with previous parrots.

OP
Uglow

Uglow

Jan 19, 2016
Chicago
Parrots
Just seeing this thread, Ninos. Great job with transitioning Uglow over to pellets! Not an easy task, and never an exact science. I'm sure a lot of members in the same boat will benefit from this thread. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks Stephen. Yeah, I thought this would help some folks out. He's eating his fresh stuff like a champ now.

I'm thinking this would be great for doggie jerky too & veggie treats.

I know someone with six Italian Greyhounds from a breed forum I am on, and she made her dogs jerky with dehydrators at least once a month. She would go to the bulk stores (Sam's, Costco, etc.) to get chicken breast, ground meats, etc. You can put ground stuff in a jerky gun, and make dehydrated strips of jerky as well. No worries about buying the more expensive brands of jerky at the pet stores because in making it yourself there is no wondering what's in it.

I've wanted a dehydrator (rather selfishly, I LOVE beef jerky and have long wanted to be able to make my own) for a long time. This makes me consider it even more, if it may help out with my future fids. Wish I had thought of this with previous parrots.

Glad you guys are considering homemade jerky. But please be extra careful when drying out meats. A lot of them you have to cook first. My unit came with instructions on how to make jerky and as I skimmed through that section there were a lot of warning.

Most Reactions