The Tale of Two Feet and One Beak

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
She has finally arrived! After a long and arduous trip and several annoying phone calls, I have my bird at last. My baby girl is happily exploring her cage and already knows a few little phrases.
The most unnerving thing is when she nibbled my ear, (ticklish) and then proceeded to laugh at me in a human voice.

Still haven't decided a name yet, letting her get settled and her personality to show. I am a bit concerned that her beak seemed damaged, but I'll be scheduling a visit to the vet for an initial checkup and ask about it. Other than that, she's lively, alert, and as sweet as can be. Right now she's exploring a piece of mango and broccoli. :) :green1:

I'll try to have pictures soon.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hahn's have a special place in my heart.

Rb's first inspiration was a parrot in the bird store where I found him as a 3 month old chick... a Hahn's. He was much bigger than the Hahn's (and smaller than a B&G hen who was courting him). He didn't care much for the other birds but DID learn to say the Hahn's name... Rickey. "Rickey" and "Hello, Rickey". I had no idea he'd ever learn more words/names, so I left it as was. OH MAN, I HAD SO MANY CUTE NAMES IN MIND!!!! Now, years later, after he has learned tons of names, words, songs... pfffft! Oh well! I can't wait to know what you name your new darling! I wonder where the original Rickey is today...
ANYWAY, CONGRATULATIONS!

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Meet Chasca!​

she_eats_by_teknogeddon-daquggm.jpg

she_feast_by_teknogeddon-daqufu6.jpg
I am aware of the crack in her beak, overly aware. I have been making sure her food is not hurting her and will be addressing it on her vet visit Friday morning.

This is not her full size cage, this is her work cage! She stays out of it and is generally only in it for transport or carrying.

Her favoritest things right now are pomegranate and grapes. She's actually very quiet! What a pleasant surprise right? :D ( wonder how long it will last )

The most noise she made was yesterday when her fruit-dinner was a bit late. She was a grumpy little feathered butt. She's an absolute gem and I'm so happy to have her.

This morning she greeted me by telling me what a good bird she was.

Last edited:

JBassset

Oct 18, 2016
Boise
Parrots
3 year old GC Conure
13 year old B&G Macaw
Such a cute and adorable little thing!

I'm curious what the vet says about the beak. Hopefully it heals nicely (over time I'd guess?)

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
Such a cute and adorable little thing!

I'm curious what the vet says about the beak. Hopefully it heals nicely (over time I'd guess?)

I certainly hope so. She's just a baby. It's in a perfect V shape and I didn't know better, I'd say another bird did it. I know Chas was housed with two parrotlets for quite a while, and near an Amazon, from the videos I was sent. It causes her little nose on that side to swell if she scratches at it too much, but otherwise seems to have no effect on her. I'm being extra careful with the beak. No cracking nuts, nothing harder than a sweet potato.
She also came to me covered in large pin feathers, but thankfully this has been a bonding experience.

Right now she's making baby sounds into my ear, tangled in my hair. I really wish she'd stop doing it, but I'm sure I'll miss these annoying croaks.

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
She is adorable! I hope that all is well with the beak--congrats on such a beautiful baby!

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
We'll find out tomorrow. Love the new icon btw Puck.

OP
Teknogeddon

Teknogeddon

Aug 13, 2016
Alabama
Parrots
Chasca - Hahns Macaw
All is well in the world of Chasi. She went through the vet's checks with flying colors. Her beak should be fine, they suspect it will grow out but gave me a checklist of things to watch for, and should I see any of it, come back and they will seal the crack. Other than that, she's a healthy baby bird and brightened their day. The crack is below her breathing apparatus and caused no damage other than light irritation.

She even let the vet flip her over and check her tail-end and wings with only a tiny "I don't like that" nip. All the techs had to come see and meet her due to her excessive friendliness.

More to come on her step up training and general sweet-heartness. I'd like to say I lucked out with her, all I have to do is keep her just as social and friendly as she is. <3

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Tek, you're both so pretty, and what beautiful eyes you both have!

Most Reactions

Latest posts