The therapeutic benefits of Data (slightly sad?)

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
Two cockatiels: Sharlett (Cinnamon Pied) and Data (White-Faced Pied)
As I have stated before, I have pretty high anxiety, among other mental health problems. (Anxiety is the worst of my problems so please don't worry; I'm not dangerous! :eek: )

Well, Data is pretty good at reading my mental state, even when I may not be fully aware of how I am feeling. (My boyfriend is also extremely good at doing this and very supportive<3.) If I am anxious or feeling bad about myself, this little bird knows it and will try to help. He likes to preen me, distract me by talking so my anxiety doesn't overwhelm me (he acts as an anchor so-to-speak) and will give me kisses.

He also has some anxieties of his own. And by helping him deal with his, I am learning how to deal with my own. Not only that but, Data is helping me with my abandonment issues as well as self-esteem.

I cannot thank the little guy enough. <3

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Thanks for posting. That's very good to hear. And I know what you mean. I believe birds share the same therapeutic benefits as dogs do. Especially certain ones....tiels and toos do it for me.

OP
spaceparrot

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
I'm so glad that they are helping you! I honestly believe they are theraputic, too. That's why I want to provide parrot therapy for children with disabilities. :)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
As I have stated before, I have pretty high anxiety, among other mental health problems. (Anxiety is the worst of my problems so please don't worry; I'm not dangerous! :eek: )

Well, Data is pretty good at reading my mental state, even when I may not be fully aware of how I am feeling. (My boyfriend is also extremely good at doing this and very supportive<3.) If I am anxious or feeling bad about myself, this little bird knows it and will try to help. He likes to preen me, distract me by talking so my anxiety doesn't overwhelm me (he acts as an anchor so-to-speak) and will give me kisses.

He also has some anxieties of his own. And by helping him deal with his, I am learning how to deal with my own. Not only that but, Data is helping me with my abandonment issues as well as self-esteem.

I cannot thank the little guy enough. <3

It's truly amazing how much difference a companion animal can make to a person's mental and emotional health. Data is a prime example of the joy one small bird can make.

Of my six birds, my cockatiel, Sweet Pea is by far the best at offering comfort. Every day before it's time for the flock to go back to their cages, often after the quakers and my U2 have spent the afternoon picking on me, I hold Sweet Pea for a few minutes, she's my feel better bird.

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Of my six birds, my cockatiel, Sweet Pea is by far the best at offering comfort. Every day before it's time for the flock to go back to their cages, often after the quakers and my U2 have spent the afternoon picking on me, I hold Sweet Pea for a few minutes, she's my feel better bird.

Cute and funny. Sounds like a 'too as well.:D

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
I'm so glad that they are helping you! I honestly believe they are theraputic, too. That's why I want to provide parrot therapy for children with disabilities. :)

Toos and tiels are my favorite birds. Very expressive in their faces, movements and sensitive.

OP
spaceparrot

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
They are my favorite parrots as well. They really are expressive and can even smile!

Also, Sweetpea is such a cute name! She sounds like she is really a sweetheart! Yes, a companion animal can make all the difference!

And tiels and toos are very sensitive! I've heard that toos can pick up emotions and other things and I have experience tiels doing that.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I completely agree Crow :). Our beloved animals are definitely good for mental health!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I completely agree Crow :). Our beloved animals are definitely good for mental health!

And they know they can count on us! Just a few short weeks ago,when that robin attacked poor Amy..it was the very first time she literally climbed up my shirt and snuggled/shook under my chin and let me REALLY hold her and comfort her..in 27 yrs she has never done that.

Jim

OP
spaceparrot

spaceparrot

Jun 1, 2016
Media
Parrots
Awww! :( She really trusts you and I'm glad you could help her. Is she doing okay now? I wonder why the Robin attacked her.....

And Ravensgryf, I am glad you agree!

Most Reactions

Latest posts