The things they learn!

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
On their own! Barry has taken to mimicking Nelsons "begging". My previoulsy sweet little Barry who only ever makes lovely cutesy little noises between chit chat now squawks! Haha its rather funny and luckily not very loud. He also learnt to call the dogs "Pup pup!" after hearing me do it so often.

What have your fids taught themselves/ what have you taught them accidentally?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My Pi can cry just like one of my dogs. I also notice them learning from each other, sometimes it sounds like a convention when I come into the room, hellos coming from every direction in different pitches.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My macaws learned to call all the dogs by their names. And they also learned to scream hell in the morning when the dogs whine to go outside. The dogs would be up whining and carry on and then both macaws start. :rolleyes:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My macaws learned to call all the dogs by their names. And they also learned to scream hell in the morning when the dogs whine to go outside. The dogs would be up whining and carry on and then both macaws start. :rolleyes:
So I guess there's no sleeping in at your house:)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I taught my Quaker to say, Go Back, when she wants to go to her cage. She can fly but she likes to be carried so when she says, Go Back, I usually ask, Can't you fly, now when I take her to her cage she asks me, Can't you fly? We don't know anything about her previous home but she is an excellent talker, she makes a monkey noise, a duck, a chicken, a crying baby. She learned to imitate the sound of an electric drill after hearing it once and the sound of cats fighting after hearing them one night. She also came to us cussing, we don't encourage it, but she hasn't stopped after eight months. She was showing off for the cable guy recently, while he was working in the room next to hers. He asked her if she wanted to watch cartoons and she called him a pervert twice. She says much worse when she gets angry. She's taught our male quaker to quack like a duck and they practice together. For some reason this really annoys our cockatoo who doesn't talk nearly as well and when he has enough of their quacking he yells, Kwock, Kwock, Kwock, Duck!! He cries like a baby with the Quaker and yowls with her like a cat. He gurgles like a coffee pot, snores, and sings a song with his name in it. He asks, what are you doing, and says, Momma's bird, and a few other things.

Most Reactions