The toy bug:)

Tay2000

Mar 29, 2014
Western Australia
Parrots
Rio- Alexandrine parrot
So in the past two days I have spent $120 on bought toys, and I've made about 14 toys my self which is the big pile of toys on the tub lid... Someone save me!! It's sad I'd rather stay at home making bird toys than go to my friends house... Oh god what has happened:32:I've got the bug:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 101

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I had to laugh. I got the toy bug too and had to stop. My bird could still use more toys but my pocketbook says I have to stop the every week thing and wait for another paycheck...oh wait...I haven't bought him a new toy this paycheck. :09:

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
I like to keep a stockpile of toys, both store bought and home made, at the ready. On days when I know I will be gone at work for an extended time, I like to be able to present a brand new toy (or two) to each bird. So sometimes I'll buy or make a toy, and I'll keep it in a bag for weeks before they get it, but I always try to have something. So I'm always making something.
Also, I find myself choosing toys at the store specifically because they have recyclable parts! Recently, I purchased a toy for $14 at the store, made of a whiffle ball, metal rings, beads, a chain and a bell. I gave it to my mini macaw. After she had her way with it for a few weeks, removing bell, beads and other small parts, I removed the largely still in tact toy, and vamped it up. The craft store was selling plastic buckets with the little shovels for the beach for $1.50. I bought 8 of them, removed the shovels, and attached them to the toys metal rings, and gave it to my Military Macaw. It was his favorite toy while it lasted!
I swear, we are like Santas Elves, making toys all year!!

LoriP

Jul 18, 2009
Honduras
Parrots
White Cap Pionus "Snoopy"
I got the toy bug too. Was making them for my birdie and those of two friends. Acquired a whole big drawer full of supplies then life got busy and I stopped. Got to get back to it I need that drawer

OP
Tay2000

Tay2000

Mar 29, 2014
Western Australia
Parrots
Rio- Alexandrine parrot
Hey everyone, thanks for the comments, and yes Dopey, I would assume they are as they are safe for everyother bird:) but I would only give my bird a straw while I was there to supervise, and to make the straw more interesting, put it through a sharpener to make it twirly:D

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Toy bugs have a high rate of communicability. I think this forum may have an infestation. That's too bad because as parrot owners we can't use pesticides. :)

Those toys are awesome, lucky birds!!

My U2 loves straws to play with, especially curly ones.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Tay, your bird is going to be a lucky little guy! Your toys are awesome:)

witchbaby

Feb 4, 2014
Virginia
Parrots
cinnamon turquoise gcc - luna,
pineapple gcc - drago,
galah/rose breasted cockatoo - merlin,
timneh african grey - jasper,
pied cockatiel - picasso,
blue & gold macaw - mia
LOL. I caught the toy bug a while ago, so I feel your pain! Your bird, however, definitely lucked out! :)

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
i would like close ups of those toys!!!!!
but indeed once you caught it there is no going back.
Everywhere in my room are toys parts,a big chest on my closet,a drawer in my bed and a few boxes here and there on the ground i keep tripping over.(yes no space left)

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Wow! That's awesome! Love those toys, Tay. Very creative! I just recently got an order of new toys in, too :)! Instead of a toy bug, I currently have a "DIY" bug regarding a play stand. I have a cat tree that I'm waiting to modify as an activity stand while Avery and my future IRN are out, so I spent about three hours stripping the bark off of some branches I found outside and cleaning them. Still have about 10 more huge branches to go through, and then I'll be going on a shopping spree/DIY toy spree like you! It's so fun creating things with love for your birds and seeing them enjoy it! :D

Most Reactions