Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
index_zpsf8d85461.jpg

Condolences to the family of Mandela, and also to the people of the South Africa, and the world.

People cared about Mandela and loved him because of his courage, convictions and his caring ways for others.

Mandela had selflessly done all that is good, noble and honorable for God’s people.

"His legacy will prevail as somebody who showed us that only by transforming oneself, one can truly call for the transformation of others."

"All of us who admired him must carry on his struggle."

R.I.P. Tata

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Sad day indeed
I work two blocks away from where Mandela lived
It is absolute chaos on the roads.
Police presence all over.
Pray it stays peaceful !!

Last edited:

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
The world has lost a great man. RIP, Nelson Mandela.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
RIP Nelson Mandela. The world is a better place for having had a great man like you in it.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Outback Western Australia
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
Heard the news in the car coming back from fishing... minutes ago. A great loss to the world, he is and will be remembered as one of the real statesmen of the world of 20th century.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
A great man with true world stature and one who will be badly missed. 95 is a good long life, I sure hope I make it that far. He did not just belong to South Africa, but to all freedom loving people around the world, irrespective of religion, irrespective of race, of gender. We all mourn.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Such a sad and emotional day

I work 2 blocks away from where Mandela lived
During our lunch break we took a walk to his house
I can't describe the sombre atmosphere

People openly crying everyone standing together as a nation

R.I.P. Tata Madiba

IMG-20131206-00543_zps55858326.jpg

IMG-20131206-00540_zps5181ea2c.jpg

IMG-20131206-00539_zpsc22586e5.jpg

IMG-20131206-00544_zps8ddd4d61.jpg

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
On Sunday Steven and other cyclist went through town to Madiba's Houghton home. 3/400 all kinds on bicycles, beautiful.
They said is was very emotional and sad

Steven is the one with the orange top.

1491652_10151752914957301_705054935_n_zpsc986c6a5.jpg

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
I had watched President Obama's speech and I have to say that I actually got goosebumps - and what a welcome the South African people gave him, it was very heart warming. I also got a Christmas card from the Obama family - this was the 2nd year and I don't know how that's happened but I'm thrilled. I saw someone put theirs on Ebay for $165.00 lol crazy.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I like your Steven, Ant! I think he's a young man with good values. You must be so proud that he made the effort to do a significant thing like this. Thank you, Steven.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I had watched President Obama's speech and I have to say that I actually got goosebumps - and what a welcome the South African people gave him, it was very heart warming. I also got a Christmas card from the Obama family - this was the 2nd year and I don't know how that's happened but I'm thrilled. I saw someone put theirs on Ebay for $165.00 lol crazy.

I loved President Obama's speech, it left me speechless
Wow getting a Christmas card from the Obama's that is awesome, something to be treasured forever.
Some people will do ANYTHING to make a quick buck, not thinking what a treasure they....IDIOTS !!!

:grey:

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I like your Steven, Ant! I think he's a young man with good values. You must be so proud that he made the effort to do a significant thing like this. Thank you, Steven.

Thanks Trish, Steven makes me ever so proud. He is always participating in events that mean something.

In the picture below they did a run in speedo's (LoL) for Cancer Survivors
Steven is the front left bottom runner along with his friends

1456763_576483922405416_190851407_n.jpg

Steven and his friend Daniel showing off
in their speedo's

1395355_10151670842187531_955392453_n.jpg

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
What a beeootiful picture! (She says as old age creeps up on her ever more quickly) Squillions of gorgeous young guys working out for charity: be still my beating heart. Well done, Steven and co. - yet another moment to be proud of!

Y'knokw, it just struck me that hardly anyone is wearing hats in the pic. If the same event took place here in Oz, there'd be hats on just about everybody - the skin cancer scare is too real these days! I had gruesome surgery to remove a carcinoma from underneath my eye a few years ago and I can't recommend it. Wear hats when you're out in the sun, everybody. Even in the winter, you can get UV rays doing damage to your skin!

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Alex- Eclectus, Ariel- whiteface, Junior- pied, Custard-lutino, Ziggy- pearl cockatiels, Kermit- Princess parrot, Jade- Plumhead parrot, George- budgie, Coco- Rainbow lorikeet, Corey-Little Corella.
As a redhead in a hot climate, I cringed seeing the pics of young lads with no (visible) protection. I've had heaps of skin cancers from tops of feet to scalp and almost everywhere in between. That doesn't detract from Steven and his friends' efforts- but it's ironic to be running for cancer survivors- while exposing themselves to damaging UV rays. Both my parents suffered from melanomas, too, my mother in 20s father in 50s.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
The run took place at 4.30pm it was actually cooler than what is looked.

Most runners use

c26-B0030ZEGDY-1-s.jpg

SPF 30 Sunscreen Helps Prevent Sunburn

Banana Boat Sport Performance Lotion SPF 30 provides broad spectrum protection from the sun's UVA and UVB rays, which can lead to skin aging and sunburn. Whether you're biking, gardening, or swimming, the sunscreen will last in the sun without breaking down, guarding your skin even when you're working up a sweat. And, it's water resistant for up to 80 minutes.

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Good to know the runners were using protection, Antoinette. I'm relieved!

Last edited:

Mike17

Aug 12, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Good to know the runners were using protection, Antoinette. I relieved!

The sun here is SA so so harsh, one afternoon without sunblock and you would need to go to the ER.

:grey:

It's the same in Oz although parts of RSA have the additional issue of altitude.

Most Reactions