Things greys say

Akuma

Oct 19, 2014
Dubai,UAE
Parrots
CAG,abudi
Indian redneck,Rio
My CAG says"good morning" "how r u?" "Hellooo" I love you sooo much. (In both Arabic and English). "You're so sweet".he counts from 1to 7 in English.
Says "let's go out" and "let's go up" and "let's go inside". He calls my son,my husband and Rio my IRN among other things. He is so cute and funny. ☺️️

RachaelR

Oct 23, 2014
Crestwood, Kentucky
Parrots
Congo African Grey Parrot
Does anyone's Grey say a dialogue? In my book, since the bird is a witness to the crime, I have him repeating a short conversation....
It's been so fun to hear what other's birds say!!

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Shadow - Six year old Congo African Grey
- when I leave the room, mine shouts 'what are you doing?!?!' and sounds mad. I do this to my cats but only when they're getting into something so she knows the context, it's quite astounding.
- She was snort laughing at the exact right time while my friends and I were playing Cards Against Humanity yesterday.
- When I pull out the vacuum, she says "OH S*&%#' - I am her third home so you can't pin it on me.
- she makes a dripping water noise sometimes when I have a sip of pop or she sees any kind of liquid
- when she is scared, she says 'my name is Shadow' (but only when she's really frightened, like her first night home with me when she came out of the carrier)
- when my cats annoy her she says 'MOVE IT' which I say when they're getting into something they shouldn't
- when I leave the house, sometimes she says 'love you' which melts my heart every single time
- she rings exactly like a phone then makes a male voice saying "hulllo" (that's what is sounds like) and at the breeders last time she was ringing then saying "really? really?"
- she makes the sound of a truck backing up - she was kept in a garage previous to when I bought her so that makes sense
- she sings in arabic but I haven't heard that yet
- she sings a random sound back when I sing to her, or when I dance with her

she says other stuff too, these are my faves
I love showing her off to my friends. my grey is amazing and well worth the wait

Does anyone's Grey say a dialogue? In my book, since the bird is a witness to the crime, I have him repeating a short conversation....

mine says lots of sentences when I am out of the room, but it's hard to make out what she's saying and I can't praise her for it, since she talks more when I am out of the room. I assume this is for the same reasons they flock call.

Last edited:

Nero

Dec 4, 2014
Washington D.C. Metro Area
Parrots
African Grey
A while ago, I started saying "Ugh" when my CAG would poop while I was holder her while standing over any carpeted flooring. I didn't relish the idea of cleaning it up. Anyway, my CAG quickly picked up on it, started relating the poop to the sound that I made, and began saying 'Ugh' following her poops. Sometime later, she began to say it before pooping, which was much better because it gave me a chance to get a hand or a piece of paper under her before it happened. Later, I saw a YouTube video where a CAG was saying "Bombs Away" after dropping a 'payload' and I just thought that was hilarious, so I trained her to say that instead of 'Ugh.' I had a couple of visitors at the house not long ago, and I pulled my CAG out of her cage to show her off. After a couple of minutes, my CAG screamed 'Bombs away" and got into her squat position. I quickly pulled a napkin and caught the poo in mid-air before it hit the floor. My visitors laughed so hard, they were both crying. CAGs are so intelligent. My CAG not only knows the words "Hot" "Peanut" "Water" "Goodbye" "Good Night" and "Kiss" but understands what they mean and reacts appropriately. I have had a companion CAG for a total of 14 years (had to give up a previous CAG because I served a long tour in Iraq) and rarely does a week go by that I don't observe something new and amazing. Parrots are extraordinary animals.

Nero

Dec 4, 2014
Parrots
African Grey
- when I leave the room, mine shouts 'what are you doing?!?!' and sounds mad. I do this to my cats but only when they're getting into something so she knows the context, it's quite astounding.
- She was snort laughing at the exact right time while my friends and I were playing Cards Against Humanity yesterday.
- When I pull out the vacuum, she says "OH S*&%#' - I am her third home so you can't pin it on me.
- she makes a dripping water noise sometimes when I have a sip of pop or she sees any kind of liquid
- when she is scared, she says 'my name is Shadow' (but only when she's really frightened, like her first night home with me when she came out of the carrier)
- when my cats annoy her she says 'MOVE IT' which I say when they're getting into something they shouldn't
- when I leave the house, sometimes she says 'love you' which melts my heart every single time
- she rings exactly like a phone then makes a male voice saying "hulllo" (that's what is sounds like) and at the breeders last time she was ringing then saying "really? really?"
- she makes the sound of a truck backing up - she was kept in a garage previous to when I bought her so that makes sense
- she sings in arabic but I haven't heard that yet
- she sings a random sound back when I sing to her, or when I dance with her

she says other stuff too, these are my faves
I love showing her off to my friends. my grey is amazing and well worth the wait

mine says lots of sentences when I am out of the room, but it's hard to make out what she's saying and I can't praise her for it, since she talks more when I am out of the room. I assume this is for the same reasons they flock call.

That's so funny! My CAG (her name's Bindi, because I named her after Bindi Sue Irwin [Steve Irwin's Daughter]) laughs like an old movie vampire (Bwa ha ha ha) when I'm watching anything on TV while she's in the room, and say's "Whatcha doin?" whenever I'm tinkering with stuff in the room.

I hit my thumb with a hammer one day about a year ago, which caused me to say a few choice words. And to this day, whenever she sees me with a hammer, she begins to 'curse' and throw her head around as if she's very angry.

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
So far i have heard angel say about 6 different words clearly...including counting down "3,2,1"..which i thought was interesting.

She seems to love making the clicking sound you make with your mouth with your tongue starting at roof of mouth then bringing down fast. Everyone seems to know that noise.

Anyways, she will do that about 20 times in a row while walking around the top of her cage bobbing her head each time she makes the sound its pretty funny.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
With Reno, we are up to several hundred words, songs, whistles, bird songs, etc....and still counting. Not a day goes past that we don't hear something new.

What's REALLY spooky is that he combines words and phrases to make up sentences that are applicable to the current circumstances. The other day, my wife dropped something, and Reno said "Well THAT'S a mess!":rolleyes:.

He is constantly joining together pieces of songs to create new ones. His whistles, in particular, are amazing. He experiments with different musical phrases, joins them together into songs, repeats the ones he likes & discards the rest. He and I do constant whistling duets (actually, it's more like "dueling banjos") that go on for half an hour at a time, creating new songs from pieces of old ones.

Greys ARE amazing!!

RachaelR

Oct 23, 2014
Crestwood, Kentucky
Parrots
Congo African Grey Parrot
With Reno, we are up to several hundred words, songs, whistles, bird songs, etc....and still counting. Not a day goes past that we don't hear something new.

What's REALLY spooky is that he combines words and phrases to make up sentences that are applicable to the current circumstances. The other day, my wife dropped something, and Reno said "Well THAT'S a mess!":rolleyes:.

He is constantly joining together pieces of songs to create new ones. His whistles, in particular, are amazing. He experiments with different musical phrases, joins them together into songs, repeats the ones he likes & discards the rest. He and I do constant whistling duets (actually, it's more like "dueling banjos") that go on for half an hour at a time, creating new songs from pieces of old ones.

Greys ARE amazing!!

It is really interesting the way they can generalize words or phrases to different situations!

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.

Greys ARE amazing!!

Greys are amazing....anyone seen that commercial where that goat is screaming like a person??? Guess who picked up that irritating noise!!! Yep..My grey. He says quite a few things actually, and whistles parts of songs.... Just never EVER...fall asleep with a grey on your baseball hat in the Living room chair....your mouth is bound to open while you sleep and guess where the Lil' guy drops his poop.....Yes ( Don't laugh) it's happen to me. Spit spit awk awk...yeeeccckkkk!

Constantine

Feb 20, 2013
Media
Athens, Greece
Parrots
BFA, CAG
Apart from coughing, sneezing and calling all the family members by name, my CAG also ... farts and yawns....he is actually yawning, attaching the human noise to it...(!!!)

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Love birds (4)
Ya gotta love these little guys! They're never, EVER, boring!

Nero

Dec 4, 2014
Parrots
African Grey
It's one thing for a bird to learn words but what really amazes me is the Grey's ability to associate words and sounds with objects and/or actions. My CAG tells me 'Good night' when I turn off the light and 'Goodbye' when I pick up my keys or put on a coat. She makes the sound of Velcro when I pull out my laptop computer (the laptop's power cord has a Velcro wrap that must be unwrapped before unraveling the chord). She yawns if I go to stretch and sneezes when I begin to look like I'm going to sneeze. I taught her 'Merry Christmas' last year and that became her favorite saying for a month or so; only to stop saying it in mid-January. When I pulled out the Christmas tree again the following November, her first words were (you guessed it) 'Merry Christmas!" But the most amazing thing is that she has associated 'water' with water and will say it when any form of liquid is brought into her presence, or when she's low on water in her bottle. It's amazing how smart these birds are!

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
It's one thing for a bird to learn words but what really amazes me is the Grey's ability to associate words and sounds with objects and/or actions. My CAG tells me 'Good night' when I turn off the light and 'Goodbye' when I pick up my keys or put on a coat. She makes the sound of Velcro when I pull out my laptop computer (the laptop's power cord has a Velcro wrap that must be unwrapped before unraveling the chord). She yawns if I go to stretch and sneezes when I begin to look like I'm going to sneeze. I taught her 'Merry Christmas' last year and that became her favorite saying for a month or so; only to stop saying it in mid-January. When I pulled out the Christmas tree again the following November, her first words were (you guessed it) 'Merry Christmas!" But the most amazing thing is that she has associated 'water' with water and will say it when any form of liquid is brought into her presence, or when she's low on water in her bottle. It's amazing how smart these birds are!

Yep that is what has amazed me as well. So many things they will say in context because they know what they are saying and they want it. Like angel saying "wanna take a shower" repeatedly, until i take her into the bath and spritz her down. Then she stops saying it for a couple days.

flyingron

Jan 3, 2015
Chantilly, VA
Parrots
Bacca (Quaker)
Speaking of the Velcro noise, Bacca starts making "zipping" noises anytime we even make the smallest movement of a zipper somewhere.

She definitely associates words with actions. She'll say bye bye when we walk past her cage into the garage or Apple when she wants her daily apple. She'll say "Step Up" when she wants someone to pick her up.

Some of the words were confusing at first. One day she started going "OK, OK" over and over. Then she pooped on me. It finally occurred to me that when she normally made her "I'm going to poop" shreek that I would say "OK, OK" as I rushed to put her on the perrch.

She also makes pleas for attention by talking while on the perch in my office. She sits just out of my reach, so I tap on the near end of the perch and say "Come on" so that she'll walk over to me. She now makes both the tapping noise and saying "come on" when she wants to be picked up.

AshMGon

Feb 10, 2015
NJ
Parrots
Brotogeris (white-winged) Parakeet
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmeUSSEaxfQ"]Don't touch me! - YouTube[/ame]

This video.

Last edited:
OP
E

Emilymaggie

Dec 22, 2014
Connecticut
Parrots
African grey, Hahn's macaw, Parrotlets, Ring-necked doves
Malcolm just imitated me imitating him. He always says "come on, good boooy!" In a mans harsh, gruff voice. So I always imitate him. I just overheard him doing it in a woman's softer voice. I am floored!

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Shadow - Six year old Congo African Grey

that's pretty good, you got yourself a good one! When I stretch mine also yawns. When I leave she says "Love you" sometimes. I'm working on teaching her different foods, but all things in good time. Mine is only 5 so she's just a baby. That christmas part is killer though, that's too funny.

when my cats are annoying mine, she says "MOVE IT" quite forcefully. When I have people over she always has some way of impressing them. When they laugh, sometimes she joins in.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I don't have a GAC and was laughing so hard at your stories that Buddy, my GCA started laughing with me, lol!

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Love birds (4)
It's funny, these little guys really do understand the abstract meaning of words. They don't just mimic sounds, they actually understand their meanings. When we were first getting involved in parrots, we got to see this firsthand with a friend's umbrella cockatoo "Cozy". He has an amazing repertoire, and combines words & phrases into contextually-appropriate sentences. The first time I witnessed this, I thought "Well, THAT's a coincidence!". The second time, I got a chill. The third time, I began to believe. After dozens of times, there's no doubt whatsoever.

Now that we have our CAG Reno, we see precisely the same from him. Every day, he combines phrases & words into whole sentences that make sense for the circumstances. A couple of days ago, he was watching my wife trying to read the fine print on something. He tilted his head to the side, and said "Mommy, I can't see. where ARE my glasses? I need my glasses!" This was all brand new stuff - he's never said any of these things before. To be honest, at times it's a little spooky!

He and I have fun with whistling games, too. He'll whistle a few notes, then I'll answer with different ones. Then, he'll add the two together, and I'll answer with a few more notes. It goes on and on, often for a 1/2 hour or more, and he ends up whistling really intricate tunes. He clearly enjoys it as much as I do!

Most Reactions