Thinking about getting a new baby, need some advice.

Shamrokin

Nov 8, 2013
La Mirada, CA
Parrots
DYH Amazon named Ollie
Hi,
I'm a newbie here on this forum. I am looking into getting a new addition to my family. I don't have any birds in my home, unless you count 3 chickens, but they are outside. :) The other members of my family are one small dog, 2 cats, 2 teenagers and my boyfriend who comes over a lot but doesn't live with me. I used to own an Umbrella Cockatoo about 15 years ago. I unfortunately had to rehome him because my ex-husband hated him and my son was a toddler at the time cried hysterically every time the 'too would scream. Thankfully my son is now almost 18 and I no longer have an animal hating man in my life. :D

Anyways, I've always missed having a bird and I now feel ready to try it again. I am not sure which bird is best for me. I like the larger birds. I work from home as a graphic designer. I play music while I work or have the TV on, so I don't need quiet while I work, so I don't see that as a problem. I am not necessarily looking for a cuddly bird since I don't think I will be cuddling much with them anyways. I am the type that likes to interact with the bird by holding them, talking to them and laughing at their antics. I don't want an extremely noisy bird, but I do understand that ALL birds are noisy at times.

I am trying to decide if I want to get a baby or an older bird. I am currently having a love affair with a 5 year old DYH Amazon at a bird store near me. He has only been in the store 5 days. I took to me right away and stepped up and was talking up a storm. He let me put him down and pick him up many time. The shop owner told me the previous owner had a baby and no longer has time for him. I tend to believe this because he also mimics a baby crying. Is the fact he came to me and was talking so much a good sign? He also would nibble my fingers while holding him but now bite down hard or anything. The only thing is he doesn't want to be petted. I'm ok with not petting him. I am concerned about him being one of the "Hot 3" in the amazon world. Are they all like that?

I also saw a really sweet yellow crested cockatoo baby. VERY SWEET! But I wonder if the 'too would be a good fit for me. I like the idea of teaching the bird to talk and talking to it while I'm working. I'm home alone a lot and wouldn't mind the company. LOL Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
I can't offer any advice. I just today got a 16 year old B&G. But I would like to say welcome to the forums! :)

OP
S

Shamrokin

Nov 8, 2013
La Mirada, CA
Parrots
DYH Amazon named Ollie
Thank you! Good Luck with your B&G. Hopefully somebody will have some advice for me. I just don't want to make the wrong choice!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :)

I am VERY partial to Amazons and have 2 "hot" ones. My Yellow Nape is the sweetest bird in the world, no joke. She will be 15 next year and has NEVER drawn blood. She is also always in snuggle mode.

My DYH "can" be a bit feisty, but is overall a true joy. He is always making me laugh (and then he imitates it).

I think the DYH you describe might be a REALLY good match for you. :D

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Just my .02, but I'd go with the zon based on what you said you wanted out of a bird. Toos tend to want a lot of snuggling and attention.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I also vote for the zon...they're more independent than 'toos. My galah pretty much demands cuddle sessions, whereas my zon was happy just sitting on a perch next to me viewing everything going on.

Sounds like that zon is comfortable with you! If he's stepping up without issues, talking up a storm, and you haven't been bit- sounds like an awesome lil fellow!

Last edited:
OP
S

Shamrokin

Nov 8, 2013
La Mirada, CA
Parrots
DYH Amazon named Ollie
Thank you so much for you replies. I spent about 2 hours with th DYH yesterday at the store and had a really good experience with him. He got all happy when he saw me and I asked him to step up inside his cage. He didn't hesitate and came right to me. We walked around the store and he was very comfortable. He even was preening himself while I held him and he would reach over and preen my hair. I also checked out some baby macaws and realized pretty quickly that they were not a good fit for me. I think I'm in love.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Welcome to the forum! If your already in love with the amazon and how he's reacting to you already I would say go for it! Not all Cockatoos are velcro birds, my Dixie isn't!!!! She's been with us for over 8 years. It just depends on how you train them! Good luck! ;)

Most Reactions