Thinking of getting this cage for my conures- Opinions?

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
So since bringing Yoshi (my Eclectus parrot) home, I realized that the cage my conures have been in is too small for them if they're going to be spending any extended period of time in their cage. They love their cage, they're very acrobatic and prefer to climb/swing from toy to toy, and since they're not flighted they're not bothered at all, but I'd rather give them something larger just in case something comes up where they will be caged for an extended time period. (I.E I'm due in June, and our lease is up in June and we may be moving. So while I'm cooped up in the hospital odds are the birds will be in their cages while the moving process goes about.)
I was thinking of something like this, it seems to be a good deal for the price and it's long enough for them to be acrobatic and run around.

Prevue Hendryx Large Black Flight Bird Cage - Outdoor Aviary Cages and Parakeet Flight Cages from petco.com

I picked up a cage last night from a local shop on a whim because it was only $80 but of course as soon as we got it home and set up I realized it was too tall and not long/wide enough. And, like any reasonable human being, my pregnancy hormones decided that those were grounds enough for an emotional breakdown on behalf of the birds. (God bless my poor boyfriend, he sat up with me till nearly 2 AM)

I'm sure I could look for something used and get "more bang for my buck" but I'd rather not go through the craigslist process again. I'd much rather order something new, set it up, and go with it. Pretty much the less for me to stress about (and over-react to) the better hah.

Also, what type of toys do your conures like? Mine like anything wooden and chewable, however they tend to ignore their toys and destroy their nesting box or play stand. Thanks for hearing me out and I look forward to your replies!! :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have this cage for my finches and smaller birds. The only bad thing about this cage that I have found is that all the bars are vertical:( Other than that, it is nice and roomy.
I remember on another thread that someone had an issue with this cage when they got it, but mine came in fine:)

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
I'm not so bothered by the perches, I can always get some bolt-on perches so they're not all straight across. I have one already but it usually stays on the outside of their cage. :p
Compared to what just came out of the bank for Yoshi's perches and toys I'm sure a few more for the conures won't be any issue hehe.
I appreciate the feedback!

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
I have the same cage for my conure at the moment. I had to get a bunch of c-links to hold the side doors closed since they would be able to be pushed open. I'm actually going to be setting up an A&E flight cage for him to replace this one. The side doors on that one latch and the length and width are the same. I have my Senegal in the same A&E cage right now and I prefer it. It was also a lot easier to put together. Definitely worth the extra $23.

http://m.wayfair.com/products/AEC1048

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
I have my green cheek in this cage and I have absolutely no complaints, but as another poster said, you'll have to find a way to hold closed the "nest box/feeder doors" because they could be pushed open from the inside quite easily. The cage itself is extremely roomy, lots of room for perches and toys galore!

OP
Sterling1113

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Sounds awesome. What kind of toys do you give your conures? Mine like to chew on anything BUT their toys.. no matter what they are! Hehe. Mischievous little fellows.

greencheekachick

Dec 12, 2013
Nebraska
Parrots
normal female gcc-Shyra,
normal male gcc-Morpheus,
cinnamon female gcc-Meeka,
(Meeka and Morpheus are a pair and are parents of Shyra)
-I have 2 of these cages (well one is an off brand but exactly the same) for my green cheeks. Meeka and Morpheus in one, Shyra in the other.
-The only thing, like others have said, is the "feeder/breeder" doors need latched some how. They are spring loaded.
-You can take a look at some of my youtube vidoes (link in my siggy) to get an idea of my set ups with that cage.

PS- Try hiding bits of treats or their food in toys to encorage them to chew/play with their toys.

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I have this cage but a smaller version, only one nice large door in the front. Very roomy for my Senegal. The vertical bars are not a problem. I replaced the dowel perches with what she already had. I also replaced the plastic food and water cups with bolt on SS. she has three dishes. The only draw back are the many doors on this cage. The only one I use is ex large front door, which also has a smaller hinged door inside do it. In total including the ex large door, there are 4 that slide, 4 that open out. I have taken a black med. plastic chain link and cut them so I can use them to lock he doors not in use (see attached pic.) So the only door that opens is the large front one that's latched. Rio is an escape artist! So rather be safe then sorry. I love the cage. It's easy to clean. The stand has removable casters so you can roll it around if you like that.

Edited: mine is not the cage you listed. Mine is Pawhut Large Metal Bird Cage Aviary w/ Stand - 32" x 18" x 63"
They are very similar. I like yours better, but Rio loves her new cage. And it's great for the space I have for it. We live in an RV, space is like used carefully.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts