This is how my Conure looks like ... how old do you think he/she is?

DesiConure

Oct 14, 2015
Parrots
Conure (Green Cheek mixed with Cinnamon).
Hello folks :). This is my FIRST post on the boards and am excited to be a part of the forums.

I have a Conure named Jango that is almost five months old ... I think. The reason I say "I think" is because it is (10/14/5) now and I purchased Jango on (8/24/15). When I purchased Jango; the seller said that Jango is almost approaching being three months old.

Here is Jango; do you guys think my estimation of his age sounds about right? Thanks in advance for the input! ...

attachment.php

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
He looks like he's south of 6 months for sure. Got that tiny, big-eyed baby look. Cute!

Altum

Sep 15, 2015
Media
Austin, TX
Parrots
Foggy, a green cheek conure
Yeah, he looks tiiiiiny. (And adorable!) Foggy never looked quite that small, and he's grown noticeably since we got him.

OP
DesiConure

DesiConure

Oct 14, 2015
Parrots
He looks like he's south of 6 months for sure. Got that tiny, big-eyed baby look. Cute!
Thank you; yes he is cute...big eyes and all. I too figured he is south of 6 months old according to my math + the seller's math...but just wanted to be sure. I am not only a first time pet owner but because of that this would make me a first time bird owner! He exhibits the following traits; are these normal for his age?

1.) He hates being in his cage (unless he's sleepy of course); he likes to be held.

2.) Like clockwork and without fail he'll poop within 10secs of me taking him out of the cage in the morning.

3.) As mentioned when I take him out in the mornings (usually 8:00); he has been behaving fine...however recently just this week for the first time I noticed that when I pet him on his head as usual and right under his eyes as usual (his FAVORITE spot!)...he'll bite my fingers; it hurts! He has some "bites" where he doesn't put on too much pressure and he knows it; but there are some bites when he knows what he's doing and it hurts!

4.) As for the evenings when he gets sleepy (around 7:30) and I put him inside his cage for the night; he'll take a few sips from his water bowl and then crawl into his sleeping hut in the cage...is it ok for me to cover the entire cage up with a dark sheet? I do that to keep any additional light coming into the cage from the kitchen and adjacent room next to it. I don't take the black sheet off the cage until I take him out of the cage the next morning around 8:00.

OP
DesiConure

DesiConure

Oct 14, 2015
Parrots
Yeah, he looks tiiiiiny. (And adorable!) Foggy never looked quite that small, and he's grown noticeably since we got him.
Thank you! Perhaps Foggy (very cute too) and Jango can be virtual e-playmates online since they are around the same age hah. Plus we can share our experiences since they are around the same age. :)

Altum

Sep 15, 2015
Media
Austin, TX
Parrots
Foggy, a green cheek conure
He exhibits the following traits; are these normal for his age?

1.) He hates being in his cage (unless he's sleepy of course); he likes to be held.

This is pretty normal, although they aren't all so snuggly! That's a good thing.

2.) Like clockwork and without fail he'll poop within 10secs of me taking him out of the cage in the morning.

This is actually really good for potty-training! Put him on a perch when you first get him out, and use a key word ("Go potty" or "Perch!" or something like that... don't give him his snuggles until he poops, then praise him a lot.

Time how long he goes between poops, and when it's time, move him back to the perch and use the key word and wait for him. Always praise him when he poops in the "right" places, and if he poops on you or the floor between times, give him a timeout.

He should figure it out really fast! Eventually, he will learn to take himself to the perch or get your attention when it's time, but at first you will have to keep an eye on the clock for him.

3.) As mentioned when I take him out in the mornings (usually 8:00); he has been behaving fine...however recently just this week for the first time I noticed that when I pet him on his head as usual and right under his eyes as usual (his FAVORITE spot!)...he'll bite my fingers; it hurts! He has some "bites" where he doesn't put on too much pressure and he knows it; but there are some bites when he knows what he's doing and it hurts!

GCCs love to bite and their instincts always tell them they aren't biting hard enough because they expect us to have feathers... even a well-trained bird will always "push the envelope". If he gets too nippy take your hands away and use a key word for reproaching him (I use "gentle...").

If he bites really hard he may need a time out, but I have usually found taking my hands away does the trick because he likes being scratched and petted.

On the other hand, my girlfriend refuses to play with him when he gets nippy and has me take him way, with the result that he almost never bites her because he knows she won't tolerate it! They will take every inch you give them, and then go a little further to see how you react...

4.) As for the evenings when he gets sleepy (around 7:30) and I put him inside his cage for the night; he'll take a few sips from his water bowl and then crawl into his sleeping hut in the cage...is it ok for me to cover the entire cage up with a dark sheet? I do that to keep any additional light coming into the cage from the kitchen and adjacent room next to it. I don't take the black sheet off the cage until I take him out of the cage the next morning around 8:00.

Covering up the cage is good; I have heard some negative comments about sleeping huts, but I think as long as you monitor it carefully for chewing and loose threads you will be okay. It would be best if some faint light gets through, so that if he has a night fright he isn't crashing around in total darkness, but if it's a normal sheet and not a tarp or something I would expect that some does.

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
Sheldon will poop first thing in the morning. It took us a couple morning to figure that out. Now we get him over some tissue, tell him "go poop".

We have a sleep cage for him in a bedroom. So far he hasnt taken to chewing on his sleep cot and I've noticed to that he doesnt poop in there either. he's got access to good and water and a ball that he has some "fun" with before he goes to his bed..wierd..

OP
DesiConure

DesiConure

Oct 14, 2015
Parrots
This is actually really good for potty-training! Put him on a perch when you first get him out, and use a key word ("Go potty" or "Perch!" or something like that... don't give him his snuggles until he poops, then praise him a lot.

Time how long he goes between poops, and when it's time, move him back to the perch and use the key word and wait for him. Always praise him when he poops in the "right" places, and if he poops on you or the floor between times, give him a timeout.

He should figure it out really fast! Eventually, he will learn to take himself to the perch or get your attention when it's time, but at first you will have to keep an eye on the clock for him.
Thanks for the input. Just as with many other approaches to various things with conures; I have heard that "potty training" a bird can be bad since they may exhibit characteristics of holding their poop in unnecessarily longer than usual (which can damage certain organs).

Sheldon will poop first thing in the morning. It took us a couple morning to figure that out. Now we get him over some tissue, tell him "go poop".

We have a sleep cage for him in a bedroom. So far he hasnt taken to chewing on his sleep cot and I've noticed to that he doesnt poop in there either. he's got access to good and water and a ball that he has some "fun" with before he goes to his bed..wierd..
Hello! Yes I just may use that habit of Jango (just as with your Sheldon) popping first thing in the morning as the first initiation towards potty training.

And Jango doesn't poop inside his sleeping tent/cot/hut either.

Most Reactions