this was posted in lost/found

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Lost cockatiel $50 reward

Poor TEXASWADE!!!
He lost Dusty!!!! The little fid landed on Wades shoulder as he opened the front door and off he went!! :eek: :53: :53: :53:

Lets all say prayers for a safe return for the Dusty Dude!!

Jim

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Oh no! So sorry, come home Dusty.

Have all the measures to try and bring Dusty home been done?

Last edited:
OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Oh no! So sorry, come home Dusty.

Have all the measures to try and bring Dusty home been done?

Wade sent me a PM earlier..said he went driving around whistling "tequella" in hopes that Dusty would answer and Wade could pin-point his whereabouts..also put his cage outside and put an add on "Craigslist" with all the info. I don't know what else he can do.

Jim

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Oh no!!!! So sorry.... hope he gets found! :(

This is why I use a DOUBLE DOOR entry system in my house. I always open the door to my laundry room and then I open the door to go into garage to leave and enter my house. This way I have TWO doors (two rooms actually) I must go through which makes this type of disaster impossible. If I didn't have a laundry room I would in that case keep my garage door closed which would have the same effect. I go into house through garage... I leave house through garage.

I would KILL someone if they ever dared to open the front door of my house if my tiels are not locked inside their cage. That is just asking for a disaster!

Last edited:

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16

This is why I use a DOUBLE DOOR system in my house. I always ONLY open door to my laundry room and then I open the door to go into garage to leave and enter my house this way I have 2 doors I must go through which makes this type of disaster impossible.

I would KILL someone if they ever dared to open the front door of my house if my tiels are not locked inside their cage. That is just asking for a disaster!

Yep, that's similar to the rule at my place. He has to be either in the bedroom or cage with the door closed before the front door is allowed to open. He was in the bedroom with the door open and I let my guard down for one second and that was all it took. Being in an apartment, the only door opens directly to the outside with no screen door and no place to put a bead curtain etc.

I'm just glad it didn't happen to either my son or girlfriend. I know they would have felt super guilty. They both feel bad enough as it is. If I do get him back, he's going straight to the bird shop for a wing clip. One second of oops is all it takes to undo years of caution. Obviously I'm not a perfect human so a bit of a haircut is going to be the backup to the other rule (that I broke). I mean a slow him down type of clip, not the kind to make him drop like a rock. That was horrible when Coconut came home and fell because of his excessive clipping and I wouldn't want that any more than I want him to get lost.

I will be out looking for him and posting flyers this afternoon and will keep looking.

Last edited:

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

This is why I use a DOUBLE DOOR system in my house. I always ONLY open door to my laundry room and then I open the door to go into garage to leave and enter my house this way I have 2 doors I must go through which makes this type of disaster impossible.

Yep, that's similar to the rule at my place. He has to be either in the bedroom or cage with the door closed before the front door is allowed to open. He was in the bedroom with the door open and I let my guard down for one second and that was all it took. Being in an apartment, the only door opens directly to the outside with no screen door and no place to put a bead curtain etc.

I'm just glad it didn't happen to either my son or girlfriend. I know they would have felt super guilty. They both feel bad enough as it is. If I do get him back, he's going straight to the bird shop for a wing clip. One second of oops is all it takes to undo years of caution. Obviously I'm not a perfect human so a bit of a haircut is going to be the backup to the other rule (that I broke). I mean a slow him down type of clip, not the kind to make him drop like a rock. That was horrible when Coconut came home and fell because of his excessive clipping and I wouldn't want that any more than I want him to get lost.

Many yrs ago my aunt/uncle had a tiel who escaped SEVERAL times through the front door... it was ridiculous to say the least because it happened so many times. It's a MIRACLE each time they got their tiel back... but then eventually they ended up putting a HUGE sign on their door that said "BIRD!!!!"

It was a big... very BRIGHT sign and it helped them to remember to make sure their tiel is locked inside cage. They even had a smaller sticker right next to the handle bar with a tiny paper thing (like a paper ruler) that you had to touch in order to open the door incase you happen to ignore the sign after a while. Maybe try putting a super bright fluorescent green sign on the front door would help along with that smaller paper ruler thing? I can make one and show you pic of how they had it. It's not that ugly... and soooooo worth it.

Man though.... so sorry I HOPE you find him :(

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I went ahead and made myself a tiny sign that says "BIRD!!!" and taped it on my front door. With that sign it's not possible to let your guard down as you must touch the sign in order to even open the front door... I know it would certainly help me a lot at least.

I don't need the sign there since front door is never opened (I live alone thank goodness) but I'm going to leave it there anyway. It could be made more attractive but it doesn't bother me. I put garbage bags on door window for privacy... must replace with pull down shade.

Hope Dusty gets found!

But you're going to have to do a full clip... birds can still fly with "slow down" type clips. Rascal can still fly normally even with a partial clip. I would try making signs on door to prevent mishaps rather than clipping a bird.

Last edited:

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
It was more of a trust problem than a remembering problem. The door has actually been open with the bird in sight several times and he hasn't attempted to escape before. Also he USUALLY won't leave the bedroom on his own but will instead stay on the curtain rod and shout until I come and pick him up. I got a bit complacent and he chose to seize that moment. After this experience though we will be doubly vigilant. The bird is absolutely not to be trusted. Not for one second. (assuming of course we get him back)

Most Reactions

Latest posts