Thoughts on b&g loosing a mate?

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
We lost one of our rescues today :( I am VERY sad but more concerned for her mate. Would it be better to get him a friend or let him be alone? I am fine with only having one Macaw, I am just worried about him. Thoughts?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am very sorry for your loss. :( That is so tragic.

Do you know what the bird died of? If not, I would highly recommend having your other B&G checked out by an avian vet ASAP, just to rule out any communicable disease.

And it's not necessary to go out and get a mate for your bird, especially because there is no guarantee he will accept a new female.

Again, my condolences to your loss.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
I would suggest yes ,maybe down the road. It doesn't have to be the same cage . But friends are always nice.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
No, there may have been an issue between the two of them. I read your last thread where the female was losing weight while the male was over weight due to not allowing the female to eat. So even though they have been caged together for so long doesn't mean both of them liked it, but rather may have been tolerant of it. Now down the road if you want to get a buddy bird for your male, I wouldn't house them together.

OP
leschornmom

leschornmom

Nov 19, 2013
Parrots
two rescue Macaws
Thanks guys! Perhaps I need to give a little more background....
I brought them home about two months ago. They came from a hoarder. Their cage was way to small, never allowed out. Roaches everywhere. Overgrown talons and beak... just general abuse and neglect.
I took them to my regular vet (who I also work for) immediately just to get a handle on the beak and talon situation. (our avian vet is two and 1/2 hours away). Within two days I had them at the avian vet. Saphira was dealing with multiple issues. Exam showed she was under weight, had liver malfunctions, metabolic bone doses, a respiratory infection, severe arthritis (she would never be able to open her wings again), and several other issues.
We decided to treat one thing at a time as each issue, taken separately, wasn't to difficult to handle.
At first, Draco was so sweet to her and tried to nurse her back to health. He would bring her food and toys and try to get her to interact with him... Then one day that all changed. Out of the blue he began attacking her. He tried to keep her from the food and he became aggressive towards everyone (even me).
Conversations with my avian vet led me to believe that he was just having the natural reaction that a flock has in the wild to a sick bird. So we made the decision to separate them until she was better... which we thought was going well. She seemed to improve. They were to the point that he could have supervised time with her... they would coo and chat with each other and preen each other when they were allowed to be together... Then two nights ago her breathing became labored and we took yet another trip to the avian vet (6 in 8 weeks) and you all know the rest from there.
I don't want to push another bird on Draco. I'm not even thinking of another mate... but since they are so social, is that something I should consider? Do Macaws have anything to do with each other, other than mating bonds? I suppose this is something I could talk to my vet about, I was just wanting to maybe get some feedback from those who have had experience with this type of situation. (Good or bad)
Thank you all again.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Thank you for the back ground on the birds. Those poor babies. It's surprising that they have lasted as long as they have in the previous conditions. To me, hoarding should be in crime in itself. It's a mental illness that causes the pets to suffer because the person will not get treatment.

Hopefully someone on the Forums has been through this kind of situation and will better be able to help you:)

Most Reactions